Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I have been on 3 TA cruises on 3 non-Disney cruise lines, and will be on Disney's TA this May. My previous TAs had quite a few port stops, unlike DCL's, so I hope to enjoy all the sea days. For me, Europe is the gem.

I havent been on a PC cruise, and it's low on my bucket list. To me, a Panama Canal cruise is a Caribbean cruise plus a Mexican Riviera cruise - connected by the Panama Canal. Having been on both Caribbean and MR cruises - I can't get excited about doing a PC crossing.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

PC is on my bucket list so that will be my first option when/if I can afford it!

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
DarthTod
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
PC is on my bucket list so that will be my first option when/if I can afford it!
Keep your eye on the GT rates, this year's westbound had an IGT of less than a grand a person for a short while. IIRC, the VGT was around 1100 per person.
DarthTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #19
Davetut019
Earning My Ears

The Panama Canal is something that want to see. It's such an engineering wonder, that the canal itself is a destination that I can't wait to do. Plus being on the ship for 14 nights is going to be great. When I got the opportunity to affordably be able to do the Panama Canal, I jumped right on it. Now, waiting until September of 2014, is going to be tough.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Davetut019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #20
sorceressk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthTod View Post

Keep your eye on the GT rates, this year's westbound had an IGT of less than a grand a person for a short while. IIRC, the VGT was around 1100 per person.
That's a super deal. That would make it less pricey than the ta
Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #21
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceressk View Post
That's a super deal. That would make it less pricey than the ta
It was a little more than that, I think about $1400 for VGT. The Florida rate was $1200 for a Cat. 5B. Very much worth it.

the PC cruises for next year seem to have sold well though so we might not see such deep discounts again.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #22
Mekamax
Earning My Ears

We did the full transit Panama Canal in 1996 on RCL as it was the only way to get to Aruba back then on a cruise. Didn't think we would care too much for the PC but were very wrong! Loved it! It really is something to see and I loved sailing under the Bridge of Americas connecting North and South America. I have done both western Carib and Mex Riviera cruises too but it is so not the same as you are much further South on the PC cruise. It really is amazing and plan to do it again after the canal is widened in about 2 years. The Wonder PC cruise from LA to Galveston looks like a great one in Sept this year.
Mekamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #23
clten
DIS Veteran

We've done both PC and TA, both a couple of times. If I had to choose just one, it would probably be the PC. The one day cruising through the canal was worth the whole two week adventure. If we didn't get off at a single other port, that would have been enough for us. It truly is an engineering marvel and amazing as you watch everything work knowing how long ago it was designed and built. Definitely a worthy bucket list addition. But the cruise was not just that one day and DCL does a great job of making two week cruises very memorable with special activities. We really enjoyed the port calls even though they are not the most exotic ports in the world. There is a good combination of sea days and port days.

Now that's not to say we didn't like the TA cruises. We did but for much different reasons. First, the price -- much cheaper per person per night (well, we didn't do cheaper, we just upgraded our stateroom and paid what we usually pay). But we absolutely love sea days so a TA is the perfect cruise for us. We've done the EB and WB. Hated losing an hour each night for 5 nights, but also found we didn't care too much for gaining an hour each night for 5 nights either -- both just mess up the internal body clock! But again it is a special cruise and DCL does a lot of the same special touches that they do on all their long cruises - special events, special guests, etc. So it is a great cruise for the money but don't tell DCL, they may raise the rates!
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #24
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Panama Canal would be my vote!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

I would also do PC. Would love to see the PC and the other ports on this itinerary. When I priced the TA for this May, airfare one way from Barcelona to the West Coast was $1,300!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #26
bellelinus
You have liberally applied fluff as filler as well
Let's not forget to feed our hearts and minds as well
I wish you -- and your yellow underwear -- the best

I've done both, and they are both great in different ways. The TA is all about enjoying the ship and the activities they have on all those sea days, it's very relaxing. The PC was exciting and had lots to do and great ports. I would do both again!

bellelinus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: