Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #16
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerob62 View Post
sounds like youa re not a DVC member..same with me..when i had this decision i rented points..it will save alot of money on AKL..since WL is not DVC cant rent points for that. Just a thought..we got a studio pool view for 4 nights for $720 on this rent/trade board..check it out.
I used the points calculator on the site in the sticky thread at the top of the DVC board and saw that my stay would require 139 pts. Once you rent the pts, how do you actually rent the property? And are you able to add the DP if you want to (thinking I probably wouldn't in that scenario but just in case...). Who determines the number of pts necessary for a stay at a particular time and place? Can you collect pts from multiple people to add up to what you need? As you can see, this is completely foreign to me, but I am intrigued b/c even at $13/pt, you're right - there would be savings. Then the next question is why doesn't everyone do it if it's cheaper?
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #17
sndral
DIS Veteran

It is not always cheaper, although the studios often are, if you run the numbers for a 1br or including a weekend or different seasons the Disney discount may be better. Some people prefer 2 real beds in a room rather than a bed and a sleeper sofa in a studio. Some people want housekeeping (available for an extra fee w/ DVC) and clean towels every day. Some people do not want to trust a stranger with their vacation money - there have been cases were owners failed to deliver the promised points and people have lost their money - there are ways to minimize risk the DVC section of DIS has FAQs about renting points.
In regards to AKL, some prefer the grander atmosphere of Jambo and want to be eye level w/ animals rather than up on the 5th+ floor - others like being higher up or like the smaller lobby of Kidani and being the 1st park bus top, etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerob62 View Post
since WL is not DVC cant rent points for that.
Actually, WL does have DVC units - the villas at Wilderness lodge - VWL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionMouse View Post

Sunset Savanna: Male Giraffe, Bongo, Impala, Thompsons Gazelles, Ostrich, Ankole Cattle, Waterbuck, African crown cranes, stork and blue cranes.

Arusha Savanna: Pelicans, geese, giraffe, ankole cattle, zebra, Wildebeast, eland, gemsbok (This is the Savanna in the center of the resort)

Uzima Savanna: Giraffe, Impala, Kudu, Bongo, Blesbok, Thompsons Gazelles

AKL resort viewing guide http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resor...ge/animals.htm
AKL Map http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/aklmap.htm
These links must be before they built Kidani, as Sunset savanna was enlarged to 18 acres when Kidani was built and there's no mention of Pembe savanna added on the far side of Kidani. Sunset savanna in 2011 & Dec. 2012, had several Hartman's zebra, but they do move animals around.
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 04:37 AM   #18
ohionola
Mouseketeer

I would not pay more for a savannah room. We just got back from jambo an had a value studio which had a full savannah view. We rarely seen animals except for these things that looked like goats. We were on the sunset savannah. If you are only planning one day to watch them, stay somewhere else and visit the resort one day as there are lots of public places to watch them.
ohionola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #19
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
It is not always cheaper, although the studios often are, if you run the numbers for a 1br or including a weekend or different seasons the Disney discount may be better. Some people prefer 2 real beds in a room rather than a bed and a sleeper sofa in a studio. Some people want housekeeping (available for an extra fee w/ DVC) and clean towels every day. Some people do not want to trust a stranger with their vacation money - there have been cases were owners failed to deliver the promised points and people have lost their money - there are ways to minimize risk the DVC section of DIS has FAQs about renting points.
In regards to AKL, some prefer the grander atmosphere of Jambo and want to be eye level w/ animals rather than up on the 5th+ floor - others like being higher up or like the smaller lobby of Kidani and being the 1st park bus top, etc..

Actually, WL does have DVC units - the villas at Wilderness lodge - VWL.

These links must be before they built Kidani, as Sunset savanna was enlarged to 18 acres when Kidani was built and there's no mention of Pembe savanna added on the far side of Kidani. Sunset savanna in 2011 & Dec. 2012, had several Hartman's zebra, but they do move animals around.
i realized that after i posted..thanks for the reminder there are dvc villas at WL...i want to rent there sometime too...just 14 more days cant wait..AKL Jambo
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
Cap'nJack'sMum
Psycho for The Mouse

Personally, if you are at the parks open to close, don't pay the $$ for savannah view. If you're going to take an entire day to explore the resort there are so many places that you can get excellent views of the animals. Plus, if you're going to be exploring the resort on that one day off, you won't be sitting in you room looking off the balcony, anyway. I'd get the least expensive room that had the amenities that I needed and go to the animal observation areas.

The main reason I love staying at Jambo House is Jambo House itself. I love entering the lobby, it's gorgeous, it smells wonderful, and it really is my home away from home.

That said, when we stay at AKL, we do a 10 day split stay. We stay 5 days at POP so we can commando the parks and we are rarely in our room. Then we switch to Jambo House savannah view. For those days, we are much more leisurely. We wake up late, drink coffee on the balcony. The kids will eat breakfast while watching the animals. We come back for cocktails on the balcony after a few hours at the parks. We do the resort activities in the afternoon. We really tailor our vacation so that we get the maximum benefit for the money that we are spending. I wouldn't commando and stay at AKL. It's just not worth the money.

Good luck on deciding! We have always wanted to stay at WL, but the kids are obsessed with POP and AKL.
January 2009 - POP Century
February 2010 - POP Century
February 2011 - POP Century
August 2011 - POP Century/POFQ Split Stay
January 2012 - POR
August 2012 - POP Century/AKV Split Stay
March 2013 - POP Century/Off-site Condo Split Stay
August 2013 - Pool House/AKV Split Stay

Cap'nJack'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #21
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'nJack'sMum View Post
Personally, if you are at the parks open to close, don't pay the $$ for savannah view. If you're going to take an entire day to explore the resort there are so many places that you can get excellent views of the animals. Plus, if you're going to be exploring the resort on that one day off, you won't be sitting in you room looking off the balcony, anyway. I'd get the least expensive room that had the amenities that I needed and go to the animal observation areas.

The main reason I love staying at Jambo House is Jambo House itself. I love entering the lobby, it's gorgeous, it smells wonderful, and it really is my home away from home.

That said, when we stay at AKL, we do a 10 day split stay. We stay 5 days at POP so we can commando the parks and we are rarely in our room. Then we switch to Jambo House savannah view. For those days, we are much more leisurely. We wake up late, drink coffee on the balcony. The kids will eat breakfast while watching the animals. We come back for cocktails on the balcony after a few hours at the parks. We do the resort activities in the afternoon. We really tailor our vacation so that we get the maximum benefit for the money that we are spending. I wouldn't commando and stay at AKL. It's just not worth the money.

Good luck on deciding! We have always wanted to stay at WL, but the kids are obsessed with POP and AKL.
I was thinking about a split stay but am not certain how that would work. If you split your ticket purchase, then you pay a lot more for tickets (since less days costs more), but if you put all the tickets on the first stay, you can't add DP to the second stay. Is there some way around this?
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #22
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzlekins View Post

I was thinking about a split stay but am not certain how that would work. If you split your ticket purchase, then you pay a lot more for tickets (since less days costs more), but if you put all the tickets on the first stay, you can't add DP to the second stay. Is there some way around this?
I'd be interested to see answers to this as well...

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #23
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
I'd be interested to see answers to this as well...

Unfortunately, there is no way around this. Disney's reservation system does not recognize a split stay. It is treated as 2 separate stays.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #24
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's true that Disney doesn't recognize split stays. They are seen as 2 separate reservations, but there are some ways of doing a split stay and getting the dining plan. Here are 3 options:

If you rent points you can add the dining plan without buying tickets, but you'll have to arrange it with the member who will have to add the dining plan for you. You will have to pay the member.

If you have an Annual Pass or are staying on military rates you can book a ticketless package and add the paid dining plan. This won't work for free dining or specials like the Stay/Play/Dine.

You can pick up your park tickets up to 3 days before the start of your package reservation. If your first reservation is fairly short and you don't mind paying OOP for food on those days, you can do the dining plan with the second resort reservation.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #25
magicbob
Moratorium lifted on discussing the "line reservation system that shall not be named" now that it's been proven that it's more than just a handful of "haters" who have concerns with it.

Quote:
I appreciate the input! We usually are at the parks from open to close every day of vacation but this time I was planning to set aside one full day to just spend at the resort as well as being there in the evenings most nights before the parks close.
Once you start spending more time relaxing at resorts like AKL instead of being in parks from open to close, you'll probably never go back to the old way. There's an entire universe of other fun things to do outside of the parks. The savannah views at AKL are great and, since you mentioned food earlier, the dining there is awesome too.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #26
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple figment View Post

It's true that Disney doesn't recognize split stays. They are seen as 2 separate reservations, but there are some ways of doing a split stay and getting the dining plan. Here are 3 options:

If you rent points you can add the dining plan without buying tickets, but you'll have to arrange it with the member who will have to add the dining plan for you. You will have to pay the member.

If you have an Annual Pass or are staying on military rates you can book a ticketless package and add the paid dining plan. This won't work for free dining or specials like the Stay/Play/Dine.

You can pick up your park tickets up to 3 days before the start of your package reservation. If your first reservation is fairly short and you don't mind paying OOP for food on those days, you can do the dining plan with the second resort reservation.
Where do you pick up your tickets then?

Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Old 04-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
Where do you pick up your tickets then?

Here's a link to the ticket sticky on the Theme Park Planning board. Cheshire Figment is a CM who works in ticketing. See post 15 I in the sticky:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1452684
Old 04-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #28
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

DSCN9106 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

IMGP0676 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

All these animals were seen from our room ...

IMGP0646 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

DSCN9188 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

DSCN9318 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

DSCN9319 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

DSCN9321 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

DSCN9334 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

IMGP1176 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

IMGP1175 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

Old 04-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #29
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple figment View Post

Here's a link to the ticket sticky on the Theme Park Planning board. Cheshire Figment is a CM who works in ticketing. See post 15 I in the sticky:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1452684
Thanks!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: