Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
checkwriter
DIS Veteran

DORMS - Big check-in changes

CP participants can now pre-register for apartment assignments and roommates and -- supposedly -- there will be no benefit to arriving early.

Be a Little Like Bawb Today
checkwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
ArielinWonderland
Mouseketeer

It sounds like it will be way more organized! I'm glad everything will be decided in advance and that I don't have to worry about getting there at the crack of dawn!

I hope it works.

ArielinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Wishes Count
I Make the Magic! CP 2010

I think this is fantastic! Everyone be sure to read all the instructions and information posted on the blog as it tells you step by step how to do it!

Glad Disney has decided to be more efficient, and honestly more concerned with safety. They really didn't want people lining up at 2 am outside the complex and waiting for hours.

I wish they would have done this when I did my CPs
Old 04-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
SFGamerBabe
Earning My Ears

I posted a comment on the Disney blog asking if this means we will know if we got our roommate/complex choice BEFORE arrival (even if only a day or two before), because that is unclear. I don't know if the housing paperwork they want us to bring is just generic for everybody or if it will have our apartment assignment on it.

Anyway, I think this is a great move! I was NOT thrilled about lining up in the middle of the night and I want to be as well-rested as possible before all the craziness and new experiences of the first week.

SFGamerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Hollsey
Finding my laughing place!

I wasn't planning on lining up early in the morning like everybody else (I'd actually be pretty happy with Vista!) but this makes me so excited! I might have a shot at Chatham this time. I'm just surprised that it has taken them this long for it.
Summer, 1996 ~ All Star Music Resort // Summer 1999 ~ All Star Sports Resort // June 2003 ~ All Star Movies Resort // July 2007 ~ Coronado Springs Resort // June 2010 - January 2011 ~ CP at All Star Music Resort's Intermission Food Court // August 2011 ~ Coronado Springs Resort // December 2011 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge

What happens when a Creative Writing nerd starts a Disney College Program Blog
Hollsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
surferdude
Mouseketeer

Im fairly happy with this, since Im driving down from NY Im not sure if I would be getting to FL on checkin day or a day before so this helps me out a bit
surferdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
khancock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkwriter View Post
supposedly -- there will be no benefit to arriving early.
Well.. if you are already assigned, getting there early to make an apartment request/roommate request wouldn't make sense.

Plus it gives everyone an equal shot. People who aren't able to go stand in line at 2am due to their flight or whatever have the same opportunity as those who could.

I thought it was silly that people were camping out like it was a black friday sale. The skies can open up with a huge downpour at any time. The FL creepy crawlies come out to roam (yay palmetto bugs). Plus it can be dark.

Overall by doing the paperwork ahead of time and just going in and getting your keys (like an express hotel check in) would speed up that part of the process.
khancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
ArielinWonderland
Mouseketeer

I wonder if it's still first come, first serve? Like, if it opens to all of the people on a specific arrival day at say, midnight, and I sign up for Chatham at 8am and someone else signs up for the same apartment type at 11am, will I have a better chance of being placed there?

Old 04-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
lego606
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielinWonderland View Post
I wonder if it's still first come, first serve? Like, if it opens to all of the people on a specific arrival day at say, midnight, and I sign up for Chatham at 8am and someone else signs up for the same apartment type at 11am, will I have a better chance of being placed there?
Seems logical
Old 04-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
leeg229
Mouseketeer

I don't know why they didn't implement this a long time ago. It's no different than reserving a hotel room to be honest. So glad I can sleep in, but I'll still get there a little early because I'll be too anxious
leeg229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
PirateSnowmen
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeg229 View Post
I don't know why they didn't implement this a long time ago. It's no different than reserving a hotel room to be honest. So glad I can sleep in, but I'll still get there a little early because I'll be too anxious
My thoughts exactly! Just yesterday my [potential] roommates and I were all talking about how early we wanted to arrive, so I'm really glad we don't have to get there super early anymore.

I have to say, though, that I'm kinda glad I'm not arriving until August. That way they can [hopefully] work all the bugs out of the new system just in time for the fall arrivals
Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #12
ValiantHeart
Mouseketeer

I'm really glad their doing this, my roommates and I were just discussing how early we would need to get there! I like that you can match all your apartment mates and not just your roommate as well, that's nice. :D

WDW DCP Alumnus - Merchandise - DAK Discovery Island

The opinions expressed in this post do not reflect the opinions of the Walt Disney company or any affiliates.
ValiantHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #13
Lyanne and Stitch
Mouseketeer

I think this is fantastic. They should have done this years a go!

Also, the author of the post finally cleared up in a comment when will we know our apartment assignments:

Quote:
Final apartment assignments and roommate assignments will be communicated during check-in.
It's too bad we won't know before hand but I'm just happy I don't have to line up before the sun rises

Lyanne and Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:05 AM   #14
Musings
Mouseketeer

I am jealous of you right about now. I have to be in the one program BEFORE they implement this. This would've made move in day so much quicker!
Musings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
ArielinWonderland
Mouseketeer

The Disneyland system kind of works like this, too. You can't request your entire apartment, just one person, and almost all of the apartments have the same number of people, but everything is decided in advance so there's no benefit to getting there super early. You just stand in line and meet people, and maybe get through check-in a little quicker.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: