Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #16
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

As long as the dock can handle the draft and beam, the stern can extend past the end of the dock.

I don't see DCL filling or adding new ships with out expanding to different itineraries. So new home ports or destinations would be needed.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #17
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
As long as the dock can handle the draft and beam, the stern can extend past the end of the dock.

I don't see DCL filling or adding new ships with out expanding to different itineraries. So new home ports or destinations would be needed.
It not like disney doesn't have the money or people to build a bigger dock either though. I think eventually they will have to but for now the dock thats there will be fine.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #18
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post

That is part my point the slip is not that wide nor that deep....a 220,00 tonner would need a lot more space and depth..........

Itinerates???....................Totally agree!

Now another tack..............since RCCL is comfortable with the bookings on the Oasis class....and the prospects for 2 new ships coming out...........where do the sail from?

The only places I would think would have that many passengers would be east coast of Florida?.........however, can they keep 4 ships going?

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
MarieLightning
Mouseketeer

I haven't heard yet of Disney announcing a 5th ship (I sell cruises for a living so we generally get those news a little ahead of time, like for the newest RCI ships), and definitely not a 6th one.

Personally I do agree Disney needs to enlarge its fleet, because the options they offer are very limited in the market. They *are* one of the few cruiselines who stay in the Caribbean for the summer though, which is to their advantage, and then what they sell is definitely the Disney image more than anything else.

It also wouldn't hurt for them to permanently do some itinerary changes, but is seems to me it very rarely sticks to its new itineraries - its Winter season is basically stagnant and since they position the Wonder in Alaska and keep two ships in the Caribbean for the summer, they have to change it up from year to year if they want to offer different ports of call. It may also have to do with the cost in terms of demand versus the offer not being good enough. They're a fairly expensive cruise line (not surprising considering most of their products are on the higher cost) and the Caribbean is the cheapest destination regardless.

However, RCCL is far from being the only cruiseline to build new ships. NCL had the Epic come out last year and the Breakaway is sailing its inaugural this Sunday. Carnival had the Breeze last year and the Sunshine is set to sail later on this year (or early 2014, can't remember). There's the Royal Princess coming out this June, and the Regal Princess will follow.

The cruise industry is growing extensively. The difference however between regular cruiselines and Disney is that regular cruiselines are just that - a cruiseline, whereas DCL is kind of like a side job to the company. Brings in good money, but by no means the biggest seller of the brand.
MarieLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #20
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieLightning View Post
I haven't heard yet of Disney announcing a 5th ship (I sell cruises for a living so we generally get those news a little ahead of time, like for the newest RCI ships), and definitely not a 6th one.

Personally I do agree Disney needs to enlarge its fleet, because the options they offer are very limited in the market. They *are* one of the few cruiselines who stay in the Caribbean for the summer though, which is to their advantage, and then what they sell is definitely the Disney image more than anything else.

It also wouldn't hurt for them to permanently do some itinerary changes, but is seems to me it very rarely sticks to its new itineraries - its Winter season is basically stagnant and since they position the Wonder in Alaska and keep two ships in the Caribbean for the summer, they have to change it up from year to year if they want to offer different ports of call. It may also have to do with the cost in terms of demand versus the offer not being good enough. They're a fairly expensive cruise line (not surprising considering most of their products are on the higher cost) and the Caribbean is the cheapest destination regardless.

However, RCCL is far from being the only cruiseline to build new ships. NCL had the Epic come out last year and the Breakaway is sailing its inaugural this Sunday. Carnival had the Breeze last year and the Sunshine is set to sail later on this year (or early 2014, can't remember). There's the Royal Princess coming out this June, and the Regal Princess will follow.

The cruise industry is growing extensively. The difference however between regular cruiselines and Disney is that regular cruiselines are just that - a cruiseline, whereas DCL is kind of like a side job to the company. Brings in good money, but by no means the biggest seller of the brand.

You misunderstand. I was referring to 220,000 monster ships like the Oasis class..........

Of course other lines are building new ships, just nothing that big!

AKK
Old 04-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #21
MarieLightning
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
You misunderstand. I was referring to 220,000 monster ships like the Oasis class..........

Of course other lines are building new ships, just nothing that big!

AKK
Oh yeah, RCCL is good with making those humongous ships

I would probably try to experience it once but I don't know that bigger is better with cruises. I guess everyone has their own preferences, but I was on the Adventure with RCI a few weeks back, and that was big enough for me. Days at sea get pretty bad with everyone on board, and since those huge ships can't be accommodated in many ports, they have even more days of just sailing. I shudder to think about what the pool side must be like on those days
MarieLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #22
gary403
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."

If the Port of New Orleans hasn't been mentioned...

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013...y-cruise-line/

Last edited by gary403; 04-27-2013 at 02:42 PM.
gary403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #23
Rhongepooh
I must ponder this news

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary403 View Post
Oh wow I wish they WOULD come to New Orleans! It's only an hour and a half from me. Doing a cruise from there would be so much easier!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary403 View Post
I have made many trips into New Orleans on my cargo vessels...I love New Orleans

AKK
Old 04-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #25
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieLightning View Post
Oh yeah, RCCL is good with making those humongous ships

I would probably try to experience it once but I don't know that bigger is better with cruises. I guess everyone has their own preferences, but I was on the Adventure with RCI a few weeks back, and that was big enough for me. Days at sea get pretty bad with everyone on board, and since those huge ships can't be accommodated in many ports, they have even more days of just sailing. I shudder to think about what the pool side must be like on those days
I got a little surprise about the monster sized Oasis vessels..............I am running a little poll on this site.............*which size vessel do you prefer?*..........I expected most to vote for the Fantasy class and then a smaller but loyal vote for the Classic. Lastly a good sized vote for the Oasis size.

So far the Fantasy class has about 26%.the Classic vessels 62% and only 2 votes for each of the the Oasis's and small vessels sizes. About 100 votes cast so far!

With so many folks loving the Oasis and Allure. I expected them to have a much better vote!

AKK
Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #26
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

Hawaii

I really hope that if Disney is building new ships, that they would take advantage of their new resort (Aulani) and have a cruise of the islands - similar to NCL's Pride of America.

I plan to book my DVC stay at Aulani and would love to also book a cruise to the rest of the islands. It would be fantastic to make it a complete Disney Land/Sea adventure!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: