Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Happy Hannah
Earning My Ears

Travellers cheques/checks ;)

Hi

Can anyone let me know if TC are still widely accepted in WDW and surrounding attractions? On previous visits we used them all the time and found them very useful, but am hearing they are in a decline.......and the store where I usually obtain them are ceasing issuing them from May.....we go in November! Have heard about the pre-loaded cards any input on them would be greatly appreciated!

Hannah
Happy Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Welcome!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
mom3girls2000
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hannah View Post
Hi

Can anyone let me know if TC are still widely accepted in WDW and surrounding attractions? On previous visits we used them all the time and found them very useful, but am hearing they are in a decline.......and the store where I usually obtain them are ceasing issuing them from May.....we go in November! Have heard about the pre-loaded cards any input on them would be greatly appreciated!

Hannah
Hi, Hannah, welcome to the DIS .

I do know that paper travelers checks are on the decline, I didn't even know they are still available at all!

My family travels with a regular ol' credit card . (Visa, American Express, etc.) You can get Disney Gift Cards to use at any Disney Resort or Disney Cruise.

I'm not sure what pre-loaded cards you're referring to. If you're talking about the Visa Gift Cards, then I for one suggest you don't get those. We received one as a gift from my cousin and I haven't the heart to tell her the hard time we've had using it. No online vendor will take them, and brick+mortar stores tell us they're not accepted there either ::sigh::.

Hth.
Along with Sarah (28) and her Chris (28), Rachel (27) and her Shachar (32), and Danielle (22)

30th Anniversary Grand Slam B2B DCL Fantasy Oct 11-18, 2014 + Oct 18-25, 2014
DCL Magic Jan 27 - 31, 2014 (with all our girls + a fiancé) PLUS Jan 25 + 26 pre-cruise in a Lion King Suite at the Art of Animation Resort!
New Year's Eve 2013 - Jan 3, 2014, DVC @ GF
Dec 18- 21, 2013 Off property (Parkway International Resort, Kissimmee)
Epcot's Int'l. Flower & Garden Festival 2013, All-Star Sports[/B][/COLOR]
FIRST B2B:
Feb 16, 2013 5-Nights (W. Carib ~ Cozumel & Castaway Cay) PLUS Feb 21, 2013 4-Nights out of Miami, FL
Christmas 2012 and NYE 2012/NY 2013 at Walt Disney World
Int'l Food & Wine Festival Nov. 3 - 9, 2012 ~ Split Stay: Boardwalk & AKL

August 17-24, 2012 off-site @ Liki Tiki Village in Winter Garden
Mar 2 - 10, 2012 for the International Flower & Garden Festival (AKL-JH and then off-site at Star Island, Kissimmee)

Feb 28 - Mar 1 for One More Disney Day @ ASMu
DCL~FIRST Cruise - CUPIDS IN THE CARIBBEAN (7-night Magic E. Carib. 2/11-18/2012)

Dec. 25, 2011 - does Disney on Ice (Dare to Dream) count?
DW 27th Anniversary 10/22/2011 AKL-KV + BLT plus 1 week off-site at Parkway International Resort (which gets a huge thumbs up)
DTD 2011 June 7 - Day Trip just for Dinner
DW 2011 April 15 - Day Trip to the Magic Kingdom with dh and our 3 princesses
Universal's Islands of Adventure 2011 March 18-20 - The Wizarding World of Harry Potter w/just me & #3
DW 2011 January - Star Island Resort (1 wk); Calypso Cay (1 wk)
DW 2010 Christmas Week - AKL-JH
DW 2010 Mid-Dec. - Magic Tree Resort (1.5 wks) w/#3 & her bff
DW Nov 8-11 2010 - Surprise DVC Gift AKL-JH
DW 2010 26th Anniversary Visit - Star Island Resort (1wk); Calypso Cay Resort (1 wk); Blue Tree Resort (1 wk)
DW 2010 Easter Week - OKWR
DW 2009 October Silver (25th) Anniversary Trip- All Star Music Resort (2 weeks)
DW Family Gathering 2007 - Star Island Resort
DW Honeymoon 1984 - Colony Plaza Hotel
[/COLOR]
mom3girls2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
Happy Hannah
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3girls2000 View Post

Hi, Hannah, welcome to the DIS .

I do know that paper travelers checks are on the decline, I didn't even know they are still available at all!

My family travels with a regular ol' credit card . (Visa, American Express, etc.) You can get Disney Gift Cards to use at any Disney Resort or Disney Cruise.

I'm not sure what pre-loaded cards you're referring to. If you're talking about the Visa Gift Cards, then I for one suggest you don't get those. We received one as a gift from my cousin and I haven't the heart to tell her the hard time we've had using it. No online vendor will take them, and brick+mortar stores tell us they're not accepted there either ::sigh::.

Hth.
Many thanks for that :-) the pre loaded cards are available over here in the UK you 'buy' one and you then put an amount of money onto that card and apparently use that as a credit card without the credit bit!! Don't really know too much about them yet.......just getting DH a CC that has no fee for overseas usage!! So that's a start!
Many thanks for the help!
Happy Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
cleverclovers
Mouseketeer

I have the same question. I am old school and used traveler's cheques on my last visit in 2007. I don't want to have to carry a lot of cash. Debit cards are out - too many instances of "temporary holding fees" tying up your money. I don't want to rely on a credit card as it's too easy to lose track of how much I've charged.

What to do???
cleverclovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverclovers View Post
I have the same question. I am old school and used traveler's cheques on my last visit in 2007. I don't want to have to carry a lot of cash. Debit cards are out - too many instances of "temporary holding fees" tying up your money. I don't want to rely on a credit card as it's too easy to lose track of how much I've charged.

What to do???
How about Disney gift cards? If it's lost or stolen the funds can be transferred to a new card; just make sure to keep the receipt.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
cleverclovers
Mouseketeer

I've always taken the TC for 2. That way I could split a pack with my daughter or niece as needed. Not sure about the gift cards.
cleverclovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
Oz-kateer
DIS Veteran

I have used TC's (in USD$ denominations) on all trips to Disney as recently as 2012 and never had a problem.

When coming in from overseas I like to have a variety of things with me in case something lets me down - a packet of cash, TC's and plastic cards.

I used the TC's to load up my KTW card and they were accepted at face value dollar for dollar, no "commission" charged by the hotel for encashment.

I also used a TC to buy something at my resort gift shop and they treated it like a $50 bill.

Don't know what direction things are headed in but I don't think travellers cheques will totally disappear from sight as they are still a great way to carry money, especially overseas.

Sept 2014: DCL/WDW/DLR
Sept 2012: DL Paris
Sept/Oct 2011:WDW POFQ
Sept/Oct 2010:WDW POP
Sept/Oct 2009: WDW POP
Nov 1997: WDW/DLR
April 1995: WDW
1992: WDW/DLR/EURODISNEY
1990: WDW/DLR ~ 1988: WDW/DLR ~ 1975: DLR
Oz-kateer is offline   Reply With Quote