Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #2311
tracydeech
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMom1969
We were in the 60's....4159 (if you stay there, look for my necklace? Lol). The view was beautiful, right at the lake. I just get the impression that things are sliding. Hubby has loved it there, but after this trip, he says never again. He says time for vacation club?!
For nov I requested 60s 4th floor lake view ! Haha

Sounds like I should change the request! I thought the whole resort was re-done and updated???
Old 04-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #2312
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracydeech View Post
For nov I requested 60s 4th floor lake view ! Haha

Sounds like I should change the request! I thought the whole resort was re-done and updated???
I stayed in 60s, 4th floor, lake view room (Building 5) in December, and had no problems at all. Mattresses were just replaced a couple years ago and mine were in great shape. Paint was perfect, rooms were comfortable and I thought everything was fantastic. I definitely don't think it has gone downhill at all. I stayed at POP just before the renovations and while I wasn't disappointed at all then, it's definitely nicer now than it was a few years ago. The PP must have just had a bad experience, but that's definitely not the norm. It happens everywhere though, no resort at WDW or anywhere is perfect. It's a lot about your attitude too.

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #2313
RNMom1969
Earning My Ears

I agree....could happen anywhere! We definitely didn't let these minor things interrupt our vacation! Pop is such a fun place!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #2314
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMom1969 View Post
We were in the 60's....4159 (if you stay there, look for my necklace? Lol). The view was beautiful, right at the lake. I just get the impression that things are sliding. Hubby has loved it there, but after this trip, he says never again. He says time for vacation club?!
Don't give up on your necklace. It could take a few weeks though. Disney handles lost and found items amazingly well. I left a little Clinique bag with my contac lenses, solution, and assorted stuff on a bus to TL on one visit. I truly didn't expect to get it back. I told the CMs about my loss at TL, and they worked with Transportation services and who knows who else to locate it. I was advised to check with Pop reception later in the day -- I did, and they had my little bag with all the stuff in it. On another trip, I left my phone charger in our room after we checked out (no more black phone chargers for me!). I called when we got home and they mailed it to me later in the week.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #2315
RNMom1969
Earning My Ears

That's so encouraging! This necklace means so much to me! It had a chamilla charm for each trip that my husband has bought for me. I've also realized that my girls left their charm bracelets. They too get a charm for each trip. Granted they are cheap but still meaningful. I also left behind another bracelet that was just bought this trip. Not expensive,but I did like it! I called lost and found again today and just keeping my fingers crossed. This is what happens when I rush too much!! Knew I should've stayed another night!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #2316
sarahhhmarie27
Earning My Ears

Question Help!!!

I have been going to Disney since I was little now and even worked there, but one resort I never been to is Pop Century. I am staying there in May and my fiance and I have a preferred room, but are on a budget in a way. I was also looking into standard rooms and here is where the question comes in: How far are the standard rooms from the lobby/food court? Is a preferred room even worth the cost its about a 70-100 dollar different according to Disney. I have issues with my ankle so I like being close to the pool and lobby. So is all the different buildings fairly close to the lobby or are they like the All Stars where they are a little bit of a walk? Thank you!!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #2317
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahhhmarie27 View Post
I have been going to Disney since I was little now and even worked there, but one resort I never been to is Pop Century. I am staying there in May and my fiance and I have a preferred room, but are on a budget in a way. I was also looking into standard rooms and here is where the question comes in: How far are the standard rooms from the lobby/food court? Is a preferred room even worth the cost its about a 70-100 dollar different according to Disney. I have issues with my ankle so I like being close to the pool and lobby. So is all the different buildings fairly close to the lobby or are they like the All Stars where they are a little bit of a walk? Thank you!!
I would not pay for a preferred room. There is no guarantee you will get any closer to the main building than a standard room. I would book a standard room and request building #9 and to be close to transportation. It is a very short walk to the bus stops by cutting through the parking lot. We stay there every year and love it. Now, you could book a preferred pool view and that would get you close to the main building, but that is even more expensive than regular preferred. No rooms are more than 5 minutes away.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #2318
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I try not to book a preferred room if I can avoid it. I will pretty much only stay in the 50's or 60's sections. I LOVE POP! I have stayed at this resort for over 95 nights now and have 11 more nights booked in June. There are many good locations that are fairly close to the main lobby and a pool that are standard. However, the 80's and 90's are not one of them! The 70's section will not put you near a pool. If I were you, I would change to a standard room and request to be in the 50's or 60's section. That will put you close to a pool and the main lobby. The 80's/90's would put you close to a pool, but would put you about as far away from the main lobby as you could possibly be. I think by listing 50's or 60's, you shouldn't have a problem being placed in one or the other because you aren't being too selective. In the 60's you would probably end up with a lake view which is very nice. In the 50's, it could be a crap shoot, maybe a lake view in bldg 3, but maybe closer to the parking lot in bldg 1... hard to say... but I like either section of the 50's or 60's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I would not pay for a preferred room. There is no guarantee you will get any closer to the main building than a standard room. I would book a standard room and request building #9 and to be close to transportation. It is a very short walk to the bus stops by cutting through the parking lot. We stay there every year and love it. Now, you could book a preferred pool view and that would get you close to the main building, but that is even more expensive than regular preferred. No rooms are more than 5 minutes away.
Well, I respectfully disagree with a 5 min walk (maybe if you are a brisk walker and OP stated she is having issues w/ her ankle)... and the OP said she wanted to be close to the lobby, not the bus stops. So cutting thru the parking lot is not going to be of practical use to get to the lobby IMO. And honestly not everyone can cut thru the parking lot safely to get to the bus stops.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #2319
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post

Well, I respectfully disagree with a 5 min walk (maybe if you are a brisk walker and OP stated she is having issues w/ her ankle)... and the OP said she wanted to be close to the lobby, not the bus stops. So cutting thru the parking lot is not going to be of practical use to get to the lobby IMO. And honestly not everyone can cut thru the parking lot safely to get to the bus stops.
I meant to say no rooms in building 9 are more than 5 minutes. It takes us 3 minutes to get to the buses and 4 to get to the front door of the lobby. We stay right by the closest Rubik's cube stairwell to the buses. Granted, we timed it in the morning when we were anxious to get to the park. We might be a little slower at night. My main point was that paying extra for a preferred room won't guarantee you anything closer than a standard would. If being close is really a necessity, preferred pool view might be the only thing worth paying extra for. I still wouldn't do it, though. That's money that can be spent for more popcorn and Mickey Rice Krispie treats.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #2320
sarahhhmarie27
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone! What I may do is call tomorrow and take my preferred off then another day call and request 60s or 70s I think that was the closest after 60s? I just want to be close and I'm worried about distance I guess. I know when you paid for pref in music your always upfront well for me I always was and I just want that for pop but everyone is saying not worth the money then I don't want to do it. Comparing it to CB is far fetched but i love it there but hate the walk i know Pop isn't that far though. I just will call two separate times so they honor my request instead of thinking I'm like trying to pull on over or something. Thank you again everyone!!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #2321
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone! What I may do is call tomorrow and take my preferred off then another day call and request 60s or 70s I think that was the closest after 60s? I just want to be close and I'm worried about distance I guess. I know when you paid for pref in music your always upfront well for me I always was and I just want that for pop but everyone is saying not worth the money then I don't want to do it. Comparing it to CB is far fetched but i love it there but hate the walk i know Pop isn't that far though. I just will call two separate times so they honor my request instead of thinking I'm like trying to pull on over or something. Thank you again everyone!!
If you want to be close to a pool though, there is no pool in the 70's section. You would have to either go to the pool in the 60's section or the 80's/90's section. The 60's section has a pool between its two bldgs and the 50's section has its own pool which is surrounded by its three bldgs. Just clarifying this for you so that you realize this before you call and request 70's. I'm not saying don't request the 70's, but you did say you wanted to be close to a pool, and this section is the one section that is most removed from a pool. Just so you are aware.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:11 AM   #2322
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I meant to say no rooms in building 9 are more than 5 minutes. It takes us 3 minutes to get to the buses and 4 to get to the front door of the lobby. We stay right by the closest Rubik's cube stairwell to the buses. Granted, we timed it in the morning when we were anxious to get to the park. We might be a little slower at night. My main point was that paying extra for a preferred room won't guarantee you anything closer than a standard would. If being close is really a necessity, preferred pool view might be the only thing worth paying extra for. I still wouldn't do it, though. That's money that can be spent for more popcorn and Mickey Rice Krispie treats.
Well, I have to say again, I respectfully disagree. The preferred are the closest. HOWEVER, there are MANY standard rooms that are ALMOST as close as preferred. And there are MANY standard rooms that are GREAT locations!!
I do find it interesting that you (and there isn't anything wrong with this...it's not meant as a dig) like the 80's/90's section. I really don't know anyone else that has stayed there and has liked it. I have spent tons of time at POP and the people I know or have talked to who stay there have despised it. I was in bldg 7 for ONE night and I can honestly say NEVER AGAIN!! It was the night from HELL!!! It was too NOISY! The people in the computer pool were noisy until 3am, and it was a group of about 40 to 50 (summertime-July), it took forever to get to the food court to refill my mug (I do have mobility issues), and there were a few other Issues that I'm not going to elaborate about. I remember that it was so bad that they comped me that night. I didn't ask for that but when I spoke with the front desk manager about all of the issues, he said we are not going to charge you for your stay last night because that sounds like it was pretty unbearable. I wasn't supposed to be there to begin with...I was supposed to be in the 50's but we were such a late arrival, some other CM gave my room away! UGH!! (I know this because this was back when special requests blocked out your room when you had medical needs. so your room was assigned when your reservation was made back then. But some CM decided to release it since it was so late in the evening! Honestly, It is one of the few times, I hope that CM did get reprimanded!! He/she had NO right to release that room! At that time only the special requests dept had the right to release those rooms. They used to put a freeze on the ressies so that they couldn't be accidentally released by other agts. I know just to make the slightest little change was a huge deal because the agt had to call special request dept to release the hold temporarily so they could update it and then they had to have the hold put back on. It was a huge production. So that CM had NO right to give my room away. I was not a NO show for several more hours.) But Luckily, the manager was able to get that issue resolved and they moved me to a more acceptable location that day. Not one of my better starting vacations at POP, but the mgt did do their best to make good on a bad situation. And as I have said before, if approached properly, I think they do a great job of fixing issues.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #2323
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Quote:
You've gotten good advice from the other posters. I always book a standard room and have been pleased with my room assignments. My preference is for a lake view room, but those are further from the main building.

Are you planning to walk at the parks? Quite frankly, after all the walking at the parks, what's another 100 yards at the resort? Save your money.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #2324
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

I think there is one major thing to consider with a Preferred room versus a Standard room. If you plan to use the elevators, even though your preferred room is physically closer to the main building you still have to walk to the center of your building to get the elevator.

The last time I was at Pop we were in a Standard room, 3rd flr in the 70's, right around the corner from the elevators. Every day we would see people coming from the far end of the Preferred wing to get to the elevator. Not a long walk in the grand scheme of things but I wouldn't pay more to have to walk farther.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #2325
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBill View Post
I think there is one major thing to consider with a Preferred room versus a Standard room. If you plan to use the elevators, even though your preferred room is physically closer to the main building you still have to walk to the center of your building to get the elevator.

The last time I was at Pop we were in a Standard room, 3rd flr in the 70's, right around the corner from the elevators. Every day we would see people coming from the far end of the Preferred wing to get to the elevator. Not a long walk in the grand scheme of things but I wouldn't pay more to have to walk farther.
That's a great point. Maybe requesting a first floor room should be her first priority. Personally, I love first floor rooms. Some people do not. The room assigner at Pop told me that, if someone requests a first floor room, that is the request they try to fulfill first.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: