Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #361
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Holy Smokes! What great updates! Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful pictures and really interesting information from the safari. That's really neat that you learned the profiles of so many of the animals.

The pictures of the ostriches cracked me up. And the vulture breeding pen. How much wine and Barry White do you have to pipe in to get creatures that look like that in the mood to hook up?

The meal at Jiko looked and sounded amazing! What a cool experience.

Loved the gift bag, but I had my own Jurassic park moment when I was reading what you received. Instead of African spices, I read African species. Wow, that really would be an interesting take-home!

Good for you for having the energy to do a little shopping.
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #362
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Wow... that sunset safari looks really amazing. Look how close you got to all those amazing animals! And it's really cool that they told you so much about them (like Mary who lost an eye, and Wishbone, the old zebra -- 24! That's really old for a horse! -- and Marley with her skin condition, poor dear)
Jiko looks amazing! I never wanted to eat there because well, I'm super picky and DH is worse and there didn't appear to be anything on the menu we would eat, but some of the dishes you guys had look really good!
And then a fun evening at DTD What a day!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #363
PrincessAmongPrinces
Mouseketeer

Great updates! That safari looked amazing, and it seems like you guys really learned a lot about the animals at the lodge.

Your Jiko dinner - wow! That sounds like a wonderful (and very adventurous) meal! But I am glad that you guys liked it.

Downtown Disney is always a great spot for shopping... And the boys and I do love our new pin trading lanyards! I've got them in my dresser drawer, just waiting to be packed for Disney World! Only 235 days to go....

Can't wait for more!!
PrincessAmongPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #364
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Hi there! I'm a little late to the party, but I'm hooked after just your intro! Huge congrats on the engagement!

Off to read more...
Wonders10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #365
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

I'm back already with a question from your first day...tell me how I can attend the disney snack party? It looks so fun...and yummy!
Wonders10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #366
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Somehow I missed the update before this one, so I had a bit of reading to do!

How great that you conquered Mount Everest! Well, the Disney World version, at least. Quite an accomplishment! That ride photo in conjunction with the "I can't believe you are making me do this" smile in the queue made for quite a funny update!

The Lodge looks simply gorgeous. It is one of the resorts that's been on my list to visit but we just haven't made it there yet. The private safari sounds really amazing! The animal photos and info you shared was really interesting. But OUCH for that poor giraffe with the skin condition! That looks horrible!

And I guess you can't beat getting to go to a restaurant you've been wanting to visit and getting to try almost everything on the menu! That's pretty awesome.

Great updates!!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #367
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
I have always wanted to do that safari. It looked amazing and so did dinner !! We will have to check into doing that next time we stay at AKL.
It was an incredible experience. The really cool part about doing the safari early on during our stay at AKL was that we knew the animals we were looking at the rest of the trip. I could say, "Hey there's Wishbone," while standing on our balcony. That was very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
That safari looks beyond incredible. Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome. You are going to Disney so soooooooon! So excited for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Wow! That safari sounds great. What a cool way to get up close with the animals at AKL.

Dinner sounds amazing! I'm not sure if I'm adventurous enough to try Jiko though. It stays on the list for when I'm feeling brave.

Gorgeous DTD photos!
I was worried about not being adventurous enough to eat at Jiko too. But I just kept an open mind and tried almost everything. I ate more of what I liked and chose not to have any of what I didn't like. The restaurant is GORGEOUS and such a neat space for a meal. I highly recommend trying it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Holy Smokes! What great updates! Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful pictures and really interesting information from the safari. That's really neat that you learned the profiles of so many of the animals.
I sat there furiously typing on my phone because I knew I'd never remember half of what Christopher was saying if I waited until we got back to the lodge.

Quote:
The pictures of the ostriches cracked me up. And the vulture breeding pen. How much wine and Barry White do you have to pipe in to get creatures that look like that in the mood to hook up?
The ostriches looked evil! I was sure they were plotting some sort of coup at the lodge, they don't seem scared by humans in the least.

Totally with you on the vultures, of all the animals to get lovey, they were not the first ones I'd ever think of.

Quote:
The meal at Jiko looked and sounded amazing! What a cool experience.

Loved the gift bag, but I had my own Jurassic park moment when I was reading what you received. Instead of African spices, I read African species. Wow, that really would be an interesting take-home!

Good for you for having the energy to do a little shopping.
African species! I'm sure JetBlue would have loved having that on the plane home.

Dinner was amazing, it was so great to get to try that may things on the menu at just one meal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Wow... that sunset safari looks really amazing. Look how close you got to all those amazing animals! And it's really cool that they told you so much about them (like Mary who lost an eye, and Wishbone, the old zebra -- 24! That's really old for a horse! -- and Marley with her skin condition, poor dear)
Jiko looks amazing! I never wanted to eat there because well, I'm super picky and DH is worse and there didn't appear to be anything on the menu we would eat, but some of the dishes you guys had look really good!
And then a fun evening at DTD What a day!
I loved hearing all the details about the individual animals, it really reinforced the idea that the animal keepers deeply care about the animals at the lodge.

Jiko is worth trying. The menu is a bit of an adventure, but so worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAmongPrinces View Post
Great updates! That safari looked amazing, and it seems like you guys really learned a lot about the animals at the lodge.

Your Jiko dinner - wow! That sounds like a wonderful (and very adventurous) meal! But I am glad that you guys liked it.

Downtown Disney is always a great spot for shopping... And the boys and I do love our new pin trading lanyards! I've got them in my dresser drawer, just waiting to be packed for Disney World! Only 235 days to go....

Can't wait for more!!
December is coming! It'll be here sooner than you realize.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #368
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonders10 View Post
Hi there! I'm a little late to the party, but I'm hooked after just your intro! Huge congrats on the engagement!

Off to read more...
and thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonders10 View Post
I'm back already with a question from your first day...tell me how I can attend the disney snack party? It looks so fun...and yummy!
There's a blog called the Disney Food Blog, which I love because about 75 percent of our Disney trips are based on food. The Disney Food Blog hosts the Snack Attack party each year (here's the link to last-year's event page). It's a really fun event, I highly recommend it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Somehow I missed the update before this one, so I had a bit of reading to do!

How great that you conquered Mount Everest! Well, the Disney World version, at least. Quite an accomplishment! That ride photo in conjunction with the "I can't believe you are making me do this" smile in the queue made for quite a funny update!
Thanks! I was pretty proud of myself. I know it's ridiculous for an almost-31-year-old considers riding a roller coaster an accomplishment, but I am one HUGE ride chicken.

Quote:
The Lodge looks simply gorgeous. It is one of the resorts that's been on my list to visit but we just haven't made it there yet. The private safari sounds really amazing! The animal photos and info you shared was really interesting. But OUCH for that poor giraffe with the skin condition! That looks horrible!
The lodge is amazing, you truly feel transported to another place while you're there.

I know, I felt the same way about poor Marley. But Christopher swore she was getting better, so soon the condition should be cured.

Quote:
And I guess you can't beat getting to go to a restaurant you've been wanting to visit and getting to try almost everything on the menu! That's pretty awesome.

Great updates!!
It was so lovely to not have to choose between all those wonderful things on the menu. The big problem will be when we go back, everything was so good, it will be so hard to pick just one!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Old 04-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #369
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for the review of the safari. I wanted to do this but wasn't sure if it would be worth it. Now I know!!! And as always, the photos are gorgeous!
AKL is one of my favorite places to stay. If it weren't for the fact that I want to try new resorts, I think I would return there time and time again. I love the smells in the lodge, the CMs are always wonderful, and there is so much to look at and do.
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Tiggerrn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #370
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Loved the Safari report... I so want to do that now... (I have to put it on my bucket list of Dis things... & Jiko is always amazing...)

Love the AKL ... I am a huge fan of the Boardwalk Resorts (our DVC home is the Beach Club) but I also have a lot of love for the AKL and the WL ... great theming and lobbies (I love that the same architect did them... as well as the Grand Californian... which I love as well... I'm kind of pathetic... I always get resort envy when we head over to another resort for dinner or breakfast... (the grass is greener syndrome...)

So EE made you a little nervous...? It's pretty intense...for some reason I don't seem to mind that (hmm... what did Franklin call it... the sharp curve...or something like that... because it's banked...it has something under it versus when a coaster is just empty beneath the drops... but you ride RnRc and that's pretty intense IMHO...

Sigh... had a bit of a rough day... wishin I was at Disney right about now...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #371
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Hi friends! My apologies, I'd hoped to put up another TR chapter before our trip, but the trip is now upon us! We leave at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning for five days in a one-bedroom villa at Bay Lake Tower.

Like all of our Disney trips, Franklin and I will be live tweeting the trip with lots of photos (and the tweets will also flow into my Facebook account). If you want to follow along, feel free to friend me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.

Have a good week everyone!

Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #372
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Hi friends! My apologies, I'd hoped to put up another TR chapter before our trip, but the trip is now upon us! We leave at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning for five days in a one-bedroom villa at Bay Lake Tower.

Like all of our Disney trips, Franklin and I will be live tweeting the trip with lots of photos (and the tweets will also flow into my Facebook account). If you want to follow along, feel free to friend me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.

Have a good week everyone!
Have a great time!!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #373
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Just followed you on twitter!!! Have fun at BLT...my dad and I were there at the beginning of April and loved it!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #374
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Sorry for another post but those safari pictures are AMAZING!!!! I love AKL!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #375
chunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Wink Loving the TR!!

Hi Missy! Just wanted to say I am loving the TR! The pictures are fabulous! Congratulations on the engagement, upcoming wedding and Disneymoon!
I absolutely adore Franklin's pictures of the fireworks from the Poly. How was he able to get such long exposures with no motion blur? Was a tripod involved? Your meal at Jiko looks fabulous. In fact, all your meals looked so delicious. Am incredibly jealous!!
chunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: