Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
captsparrow
Earning My Ears

Peanut/Treenut allergies

HI,

I see there is a lot of posts about gluten free items and good to see people are having choices.

Can anyone provide some information regarding snack type items or desserts that might be available for peanut/treenut allergies.

We are doing the dining plan with table service, quick service and snack. For the quick service I noticed there is dessert included. Is there actually going to be something safe or will we just lose out.

Thanks in advance for any information.
captsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
disfan07
DIS Veteran

From my experiences with those allergies they can usually provide something safe. And something good. I can't give you specifics on treats that are only peanut/tree nut free though.

Our last trip I was allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, wheat, oats, coconut, sesame, sunflower seeds, soy protein, raw fruits and raw vegetables.

We did a lot of TS meals and I was offered desserts at each place. I only ate dessert at two of the restaurants because I was too stuffed at the other restaurants.

We didn't do the dining plan this time so we didn't bother with dessert at QS places but I do remember back in 2010 when I was just allergic to peanuts, eggs and shellfish we were on the QS dining plan and I always got a dessert so there should be something available.

I've never been to Disney just peanut/tree nut free so I don't know what the options are but if they can provide me with yummy dessert I am positive they can provide something good for you! The chefs were all wonderfull about making sure I had something good to eat!!
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Like disfan07, we're free of a lot more than just peanuts and certain tree nuts. There's always been some kind of dessert available to us and there are lots of snacks we can eat.

At QS locations, they have Enjoy Life cookies at most locations. These are made in a tree nut and peanut free facility. I don't know what other options would be available. At resort QS locations there are plenty more options as well as at Sunshine Seasons. You'll be given an allergy binder at the park CS locations (exceptions are Sunshine Seasons where you'll talk to a chef and at world showcast locations that are not Disney owned; I've only eaten at Mexico where we spoke with a chef but the only dessert option for us was grapes).

At TS locations the chef will go over your options. We've had ice cream (in our case soy because we're also dairy free) and some kind of cookie. I believe the gluten free brownies are also peanut and tree nut free but I haven't paid much attention since they have dairy. The chef will know. Sorbets are a nice option at places that have them. Again, the chefs will know what's available but at the Disney owned restaurants there will be something.

There are probably more snack options available to you than the following because we have so many more allergies than you but here are our favourites (note that I don't consider coconut to be a tree nut).
  • popcorn from the various carts
  • I believe the pretzels are safe but confirm with Special Diets department
  • frozen pineapple bars from the ice cream carts
  • frozen strawberry bars from the ice cream carts
  • popsicles from the ice cream carts
  • the Goofy bagged candies are clearly marked for allergens so just check the labels
  • Sun Surf gummies
  • Enjoy Life products
  • Disney brand potato chips (read the labels to be sure the flavoured ones are safe; we stick with the plain)
  • I think the OMG It's Gluten Free cookies and brownies are safe but check the website to be sure
  • fresh fruit (whole or cut up in containers)
  • packaged pickles
  • baked potato and baked sweet potato (found at the stand beside CHH)
  • frozen Coke

That's what I'm coming up with at the moment. There's probably more as well but I'm blanking right now. As I said there's probably also other stuff safe for you that we never look at because of other allergens.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

My DD has a tree nut allergy. She was able to eat some very good desserts, like at Ohana and Kona Cafe. But the chefs always warned that with their baked goods, there's a chance of cross contamination. If you're not too concerned about that, then you'll have even more options for dessert.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
captsparrow
Earning My Ears

Thank you for all the replies. I am hoping for some luck with some of the treats! My kids would most likely love if they could have Mickey Ice Cream bars or popsicles.

A dessert treat here and there would be nice too.
captsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: