Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Diskidatheart
Mouseketeer

Training for Dopey Challenge

I am signed up for The inagaural Dopey Challenge and I was wondering how some of you will be training for this.

Will you be doing practically the same training that you did for the Goofy Challenge, but maybe throw in some some consecutive runs from Thurs - Sun?

Will you just wait until they come up with a Galloway training plan?

For me, I think I'm going to do interval training or hill repeats on Tuesdays, cross-training/core work on Wednedays, 4-10 miles tempo runs on Thursdays, and whatever the distance is for the long run I will be doing on Sunday, I will add a run of half that distance to the plan on Saturday (so for my long 20 mile run on Sunday, I will add a 10 mile run on Saturday). I also plan to throw in some runs of 3-6 miles on an occassional Friday so that I have a few (Thurs - Sun) 4 day consecutive runs.

Diskidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Ram7730
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskidatheart View Post
I am signed up for The inagaural Dopey Challenge and I was wondering how some of you will be training for this.

Will you be doing practically the same training that you did for the Goofy Challenge, but maybe throw in some some consecutive runs from Thurs - Sun?

Will you just wait until they come up with a Galloway training plan?

For me, I think I'm going to do interval training or hill repeats on Tuesdays, cross-training/core work on Wednedays, 4-10 miles tempo runs on Thursdays, and whatever the distance is for the long run I will be doing on Sunday, I will add a run of half that distance to the plan on Saturday (so for my long 20 mile run on Sunday, I will add a 10 mile run on Saturday). I also plan to throw in some runs of 3-6 miles on an occassional Friday so that I have a few (Thurs - Sun) 4 day consecutive runs.
There is a Jeff Galloway plan available now at this address http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13670150908702

I think people are also using the Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 marathon plan since that has a long run on Sunday and a run of half that distance on Saturday. If you look at the Official Dopey thread under WISH and Events there is some info there where people are talking about different training approaches.

I plan on using a combination of the Galloway method and the Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 but I've only done one full marathon so I'm far from an expert. Good Luck
Ram7730 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

I'll do the same thing I did for the Goofy - well, I'll actually do more of the long runs, but that is beside the point. The only difference (for me) between the Goofy this year and the Dopey next year will be that one of my daily runs is 6 miles, instead of 3 - but I run every day already anyway, so the "4 days in a row thing" doesn't even register on my radar.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I'm doing Higdon Intermediate 2 with the Wednesday run on Friday.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Haas4Concern
Mouseketeer

Ill be training the same way i did for Goofy. My base runs are 5 to 8 miles and my long runs scale with training. I usually hit one long run for every three base runs. For the long runs, i like the two steps forward one step back approach to distance. I also am not a huge fan of consecutive training days ( i know what youre thinking). Ill do 1 or 2 back-to-back runs for the mental part of it, but after that its just standard marathon training. It worked well for me this past january so ill stick with it.

Hope everyone has injury-free training.

2007 WDW 1/2 Marathon, 2012 WDW Marathon Relay, 2012 Inaugural Canton 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Ohio 2 Warrior Dash, 2012 Air Force Half Marathon, 2012 Wine & Dine, 2013 Goofy Challenge,Dumbo Double Dare 2013,Dopey Challenge 2014
Haas4Concern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

I am planning on training like I have for all Goofies... It's a solid marathon training plan. Limited to no back to back runs.

Honestly, if one keeps pace in check and understands what their body needs in the way of nutrition this is not really all that tough. The toughest part will be rising at 0200 4x in a row.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Regular marathon training the same way I approached the Goofy. I will retrain my sleep cycle about 2 wks out.

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

I can't retrain or do anything about my sleep pattern. For the Goofy, mostly what I cared about was being super ready for the full.
The night before the 5k I was gunho and went to bed at about 10 or 11pm.
The following night before the half I was still feeling the energy pumping...and went to bed late.
By the time Sat night came, the night before the full...I was done! I went to bed before 7pm. I slept straight through until 3am and felt great!

After the full I went back the hotel and eventually made my way to the MK where I rode the rides and hung out until closing.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: