Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #16
MaMa3Princess
I need to find the nearest Disneyaholic Anyomous meeting

I would agree with people who said shrug shoulder and let it roll off my back. I
am a run/walker and the majority of my half marathon towards the 6-13 mile mark I am with majority run walkers. We understand and are encouraging towards one another but that spectator or that volunteer who thinks they are being encouraging always have to say something like this is a race not a walk or come run... I just politely smile and keep going because some will not understand that you run/walk because you want too. There is just no changing some people minds and so hey think what you want you are still putting the miles in!!!

MaMa3Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Ask him what his PR is... Chances are he doesn't have one because he's not a runner...agree with the PP that it's mostly non-runners that have attitudes like your buddy does.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #18
walkdmc

DIS Veteran

OP, don't take offense to this but some part of you may feel the run/walk method is inferior to straight running. Maybe you've heard other insults about that method. I run/walk too but take absolutely no offense to others' objections to my method. If your blood was boiling, you took his comment personally and should figure out why. (so it doesn't happen again).

Bob can say whatever he wants, who cares? Who needs Bob's dimes anyway? Hit up others for donations.

Keep healthy, keep trucking.
walkdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion

To the OP what I would have done was said hey Bob that is an interesting opinion you have there. Do you mind if I show you some research to show why we run the way we do. If Bob said yes I would pull articles forms active and New England journal of medicine. If Bob said no then know he will be ignorant for a bit more. In cases like these is is about education not pride.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #20
Aw Phooey
Earning My Ears

If it were my race I would have looked him in the eye and said "I will accept that challenge when I'm ready for it and not a day sooner. Running it straight through is not my goal nor my priority for this race."

My sister had a similar attitude once. Even after I told her it was for my personal safety (I'm carrying a lot...) she couldn't think of it was "running". That's her world though. She CAN run a half-marathon without a walk break. She's also never been fat. She didn't know why anyone would want to walk any part of a race let alone why anyone might need to.

But she saw first hand how I race with walk breaks and how I race without. After I dropped C25K in favor of a regular, short, R-W interval, I went through a phase where I set a PR for 5Ks three times in a row. My 5K with no walk breaks is so far my worst time and I physically felt like garbage afterwards. She understands now that the walk breaks are necessary to get me to the finish alive with lowered chance of injury (I am a heavy runner after all) and not because I'm afraid of pain.

You know better
and the possibility of hurting yourself by biting off more than you can chew isn't worth the money.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: