Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #1216
Mickfarland4
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=GinCar;48106585]When we stay on property- I am fine with it. They have cell phones and are very responsible. We also have them call us A LOT. For example- I am on the bus, I am at the resort, I am at the room, etc.
Love this!! That would be me too!!
Mickfarland4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #1217
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinCar View Post
We just returned last night from a week at Bonnet Creek.

My family (5 of us) rented a 2 bedroom presidential from Vacation Strategies.
The room was beautiful and very clean. The resort was gorgeous. Here are my pros and cons for those use to Disney resorts-

Pros- Space, space, space. My 3 kids (15,14,7) were very surprised by the room and kept telling me how well I did!
It was nice to be able to "separate" for a couple of hours of down time each day. (3 TV's and a balcony helped us not invade each others space the entire 24 hours a day!)
Lots of choices for pools. If one was crowded, we just moved on to the next. DD7 liked the lazy river best.
I loved being able to do a load of laundry each day. For those concerned about washing your own towels- there were plenty of towels! We also had housekeeping service one day- that was a pleasant surprise.
The full kitchen was very nice to have. I have a teeny, tiny kitchen at home- so the size was perfect for us.
We never got the parking pass. We checked in very late and were busy the rest of the time.
Only one night did my DH have to park in the garage.

Cons- I hate to say any cons, because what I might see as a con- others will see as a positive. So, this is just my opinion.

I missed the dining plan. I felt like we needed to leave the parks when we wanted a sit down meal. I know, I could have paid $150-200 for my family to eat, but my budget mind said to spend $60.00 outside of the park- so we did.
Disney bus flexibility. We always took our rental car, never the Bonnet Creek bus. My teenagers missed being able to take the bus back when they wanted to or go to another park without us.
Driving. My husband and I both hate driving on vacation. I would not stay at BC without a rental car, though. It was nice to be able to go out to eat, grocery store, pedi/mani, outlet mall, etc.
I was surprised that the resort did not have a large store for shopping like most hotels have. The small store was blah. I also though they would have more of a food area- not just bar like outdoor food. When we arrived a 11pm for check-in, we were starved. (9pm our time and we had not had dinner.) We were told all food was closed. We ordered Dominos. (45min.)

Bottom line- This trip was about looking at a school for DS, not exclusively Disney. If it were just a Disney trip- we would stay on property with the dining plan. That is just what my family likes.
If we ever do a mixed trip again- I would stay here in a heartbeat. The price is right for how much you get and the location.
If we ever want to stay together with a large group- yes to Bonnet Creek.
The staff was not rude, just not outgoing friendly like Disney.
We never ate at any of the pool bar areas- so I can not speak to their food.

The weather was great while we were there. We had a great trip. Bonnet Creek surpassed my expectations with the room, landscaping and pools.
I haven't spent a TON of time exploring the Grand, But did you ever get a chance to go over there? The Wyndham Grande is the hotel located between the timeshare resort towers 3 and 6. It's along the pool-walk and has a few more hotel type ammenities you can utilize such as restaurants, bars, and shops. While I'm not surprised at all the food options over at the timeshare sides were closed and the shop there is so small, I'm curious if the Hotel on the property may have still been open later since it caters primarily to a slightly different demographic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickfarland4 View Post
Is Disney safe enough for a 14 and 15 yo to go into a park alone?? I can't imagine letting my kids go back to the resort without us or go somewhere else. I haven't been there for years though so, I have no idea how it would work. I can see letting them go off by themselves in the same park but, I would be too concerned about them going off by themselves to another place. Is it safe enough these days to do this? Thanks!
I can't entirely speak to the parks today, But I know back in the early/mid 90's my parents let my little brother and I explore the parks on our own some days during our trip. (I may have been 14/15... with my brother being 12/13). We'd been going to the parks for years and knew our way around like the back of our hands, and so they'd have no problem with us exploring the MK to hit our favorites for a few hours on our own (often my brother and I would even split up). I can even remember park-hopping from the MK to EPCOT so I could eat my favorite lunch at the Odysey.

So... In general... I wouldn' have a problem letting my son potentially go off on his own at the park once he's a bit older, assuming he's comfortable doing it and I feel he's mature and responsible enough to be on his own. With the number of ways to keep in touch these days with cell phones and text messages, I'd probably feel a bit more comfortable simply because I'd know it was much easier to get in touch if we needed too, or to even just check up on him. (Or honestly... with apps like "Find my friends".... Keep tabs on his exact location from my phone)
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #1218
GinCar
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=DCTooTall;48110902]I haven't spent a TON of time exploring the Grand, But did you ever get a chance to go over there? The Wyndham Grande is the hotel located between the timeshare resort towers 3 and 6. It's along the pool-walk and has a few more hotel type ammenities you can utilize such as restaurants, bars, and shops. While I'm not surprised at all the food options over at the timeshare sides were closed and the shop there is so small, I'm curious if the Hotel on the property may have still been open later since it caters primarily to a slightly different demographic.

We did walk through there once. We did not go the night we arrived, because it was the person checking us in that said everything was closed. I think I missed a "food court" type area because of having our 3 kids with us.
I would just be more prepared next time. We should have stopped on our way from the airport- but we were just too excited to see the resort!
2011 Dolphin, 2011 POFQ, 2012 Beach Club
2013 February,Pre-Cruise- Polynesian, Fantasy
2013 Spring Break WBC; August- Pop, Contemporary
2014 Feb-BWI, April-FANTASY Cruising
GinCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #1219
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinCar View Post
We did walk through there once. We did not go the night we arrived, because it was the person checking us in that said everything was closed. I think I missed a "food court" type area because of having our 3 kids with us.
I would just be more prepared next time. We should have stopped on our way from the airport- but we were just too excited to see the resort!
Ah.... Well there definitely isn't a "food Court" at the resort or the Grande hotel. The size and demographics of the resort and hotel wouldn't really support a food court like you'd find at a Disney Value or some of the Mods.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #1220
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I booked our summer trip today
We have a surprise onsite trip planned for the kids Christmas present but have a week of vacation in the summer as well. We knew for the summer trip that we needed to save some money and that while we will go to the parks, we plan to do the waterparks and offsite activities as well.

I had booked Bonnet Creek with VS last summer and then switched to onsite. They let me use that deposit credit today against this trip which was a very nice policy since it is a year later.
I booked a 2 bdrm deluxe for 8 nights for $1008. $126 per night for all of that space just seems fabulous

I know I will have more questions as time goes on. My main ones are going to be which building to request and make sure I know how to avoid the time share pitch.

I am so excited to be able to cook on this vacation. I know that sounds weird but we do tire of all the restaurant meals. So we'll eat breakfast in the unit, come back for a mid day break when it's hot and have lunch and a swim and then eat our dinners out. Not too much prep and cooking and we'll save so much money that way
Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #1221
canadadoug
Earning My Ears

Anyone know where I can plug my wireless router in the room? I can't find an Ethernet plug and the wifi sucks.
canadadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #1222
skateshome
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadadoug View Post
Anyone know where I can plug my wireless router in the room? I can't find an Ethernet plug and the wifi sucks.
In the 2 bedroom it was by the phone in the kitchen......kitchen side of the bar.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #1223
ibob52
Original Mickey Mouse Club ... Mouseketeer

Arrow

The telephone in the kitchen ... has a ethernet plug-in the base of phone ...

(as per my WBC visit 05/2012 ... in which I used my own router ... successfully).

It's a Dog eat Dog world out there

Disney is my Happy ~ Place
ibob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #1224
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Just returned from our first stay at WBC. It was wonderful. I plan to stay here again in the future. We have not 1 complaint. We were in room 556 in Tower 3 in a 2bd deluxe. We could see Illuminations nightly. Next time we stay here, I want to stay longer so that we can enjoy more of the amenities offered.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #1225
Vicki5050
Earning My Ears

We are looking at staying at Bonnet Creek in February and were going to use my mom's timeshare on a 4 bedroom. None are available at the 10 month window. I priced Vacation Strategies, Ken Price, and Farrell's Vacations. Vacation Strategies and Ken Price came in around the same price. Farrell's Vacations came in way cheaper for the week we are looking at. Anyone know why or know any specifics? The other two require a deposit is Farrell's a pay in full?
Vicki5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #1226
pcstang
Mouseketeer

I booked through Farrell for a 7 day June trip. He was the only one that had a four bedroom and was way cheaper than the other two you mentioned, as they still sent me quotes. Farrell is pay in full.
pcstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #1227
Cynt
DIS Veteran

Check EBAY. That's where I found my 4bdrm Presidential suite for a week for the exact dates. I took a risk and waited until the 60 day mark. Check redweek and myresortnetwork too.
April 2011 - POP - Girl's Getway
May 2013 - WBC - FAMILY TRIP!!
Cynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #1228
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

cabana questions

HI -
We are checking out tomorrow and are considering renting a cabana to have a resort day before our 8 pm flight. I have a couple of questions.

1. Which cabanas do you prefer Tower 5 or 6?
2. Will there be a place to change? Perhaps even shower?
3. DO I call the front desk to book it?

Thanks for any help

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #1229
mjohnson96
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
HI -
We are checking out tomorrow and are considering renting a cabana to have a resort day before our 8 pm flight. I have a couple of questions.

1. Which cabanas do you prefer Tower 5 or 6?
2. Will there be a place to change? Perhaps even shower?
3. DO I call the front desk to book it?

Thanks for any help
I thought the ones at tower 6 looked nicer for some reason.

mjohnson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #1230
excitedfamof4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Just returned from our first stay at WBC. It was wonderful. I plan to stay here again in the future. We have not 1 complaint. We were in room 556 in Tower 3 in a 2bd deluxe. We could see Illuminations nightly. Next time we stay here, I want to stay longer so that we can enjoy more of the amenities offered.
That is great you enjoyed your stay! We are getting read to go to Disney and staying at Bonnet Creek for a week. We requested a highfloor 2br in Tower 3 as well. We were told it was recently renovated with granite and flat screen tv's. Is this correct info? Thank you in advance!
excitedfamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote