Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

MNSSHP vs. MVMCP

We have done the MNSSHP for the past few years. The kids love it of course because they get a giant boatload of candy. But, to me, it's crowded, people are the pushiest I've ever seen, and rude (over candy ).

Anyway, I wanted to try the Christmas party this year and wanted opinions on it.

If you could only do one, Halloween vs. Christmas, which would you choose? I've been told by multiple people that Christmas is not crowded at all, yet Halloween seems packed to me. What is your take on crowds at both of these events?

Thanks in advance!!

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
We have done the MNSSHP for the past few years. The kids love it of course because they get a giant boatload of candy. But, to me, it's crowded, people are the pushiest I've ever seen, and rude (over candy ).

Anyway, I wanted to try the Christmas party this year and wanted opinions on it.

If you could only do one, Halloween vs. Christmas, which would you choose? I've been told by multiple people that Christmas is not crowded at all, yet Halloween seems packed to me. What is your take on crowds at both of these events?

Thanks in advance!!
Halloween--not even close.

Crowds are similar in my opinion, but can vary of course based on factors that apply to both parties: which night you go, if discounts for APs or CMs offered on a particular night, etc. To say nothing of the truth that everyone has different perceptions of what it means to be "crowded".

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

We've gone to both. The crowd level was very similar. As for the 'party' itself....we enjoyed MNSSHP more than MVMCP. I just thought the decorations were better, the atmosphere was better...just better overall. DH and I talk about it and we can't put our finger on it....perhaps because we're from the north and Christmas time just isn't palm trees to us. But I'm sure others out there will disagree...so good luck with your decision.

WL February 2017 for DS high school band trip * WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007*SoG 2000*Off Site 1998
hebbynan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbynan View Post
We've gone to both. The crowd level was very similar. As for the 'party' itself....we enjoyed MNSSHP more than MVMCP. I just thought the decorations were better, the atmosphere was better...just better overall. DH and I talk about it and we can't put our finger on it....perhaps because we're from the north and Christmas time just isn't palm trees to us. But I'm sure others out there will disagree...so good luck with your decision.
LOL, well I live in S. FL so it's palm trees, shorts and 80 degree days usually. :/

Now I might have to rethink my decision. I guess I'll wait to hear more experiences. Hopefully LOL

Old 04-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
The Great Oz
Earning My Ears

The parades and parties are similar in both the MNSSHP and MVMCP, however at Christmastime the decorations at all the parks and on site resorts is much better. It would be worth it for you to try at Christmas just to see the Osborn Lights at DHS, the Gingerbread House at Grand Floridian and the Chocolate Carousel at BC. You will also get to see it "snow" in Florida.
The Great Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
RSWA2
Mouseketeer

I think MNSSHP seems more crowded because there are lines for candy, so that creates the impression of a mass of people. Both are probably about the same, both sell out some nights and are not as crowded on other nights. One year, I went to the last MNSSHP and the first MVMCP, both were sold out and MNSSHP felt crowded.

The cool thing about MNSSHP, is adults can dress up and trick or treat and it's only at the Magic Kingdom and the fireworks are great. Whereas there are Christmas themes everywhere around WDW. And if you listen to the radio go to malls, you see X-mas everywhere for about 2 months.

MVMCP has a wonderful magical Christmas feeling to it though and it feels more Disney when you just sit on a bench and take in the environment. The fireworks are cute. Christmas in general at WDW is very well done, Osborne lights, Epcot decorations, AK parade, etc.

Given than, I give MVMCP a slight advantage (51% vs 49%), due to the fact that I enjoy environment more.

Tough choice, but if I were you, since you haven't been to a MVMCP, I would suggest you pick that one time and decide on future trips!
RSWA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

I prefer MNSSHP. I think the CMs were more into it and the parade flows better. The castle show is great and the fireworks are the best of all year.

When I went to MVMCP it felt off. I told my BF it was interesting because it was a holiday party but not one CM said Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas. We were there during the first 3 night of Hanukkah since my DBF is Jewish. He isn't the type to eat offended and loves to hear Merry Christmas (we celebrate Santa Christmas and not the religious version) so it was a bummer to never hear it. Also there were more technical difficulties with MVMCP this year. The castle lights would flicker in and out occasionally and the night we went all but 1 castle show was cancelled.

Also as a CM I know December is one of our down months. In September and October most CMs are still happy and amazing but by November/December it has begun to wear down even the best CMs. We start to have to face the heard fact that we will go yet another ear spending holidays with someone else's family instead of our own. We do out jobs with a smile but after long hours and mean guests it is harder to pull out pixie dust. I don't know if all CMs feel this was but many in my area and friends who are CMs felt like that come December.
wilkeliza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
Patrickprincess
HAVE A MAGICAL DAY

I like mnsshp better is June too late to buy mnsshp tickets
2013 WDW Royal Guest @Port Orleans Riverside. 2012WDW @ Royal Guest Port Orleans Riverside Disney Cruise line The Fantasy. 2004 WDW @ Port Orleans French Quarter. 2002 WDW Port Orleans Riverside, Disney cruise line The Wonder.2007 Disneyland@ The Disneyland Hotel. 2006 Disneyland @ The Paradise Hotel. 2000 Disneyland @ The Disneyland Hotel. 1999 1998,1996 Disneyland off sight hotels.
A proud Disney Stockholder
A Proud Seahawk Fan 2014 Super bowl Champions
A Seattle Mariner fan

Patrickprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickprincess View Post
I like mnsshp better is June too late to buy mnsshp tickets
No, most nights won't sell out at all, and those that will sell out won't until much closer to the party dates. June is plenty early.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Well definitely interesting takes on this. Thank you everyone who replied.

In case it makes a difference, we go every year at Halloween and Christmas anyway. So the other decor mentioned really isn't a factor. We will go both times this year it's just a matter of which party do we do.

I like the idea one of you had to at least try the MVMCP once and then decide which is what I've been thinking. My kids will be 7 and almost 5 in December. So I should probably take them while they still believe in Santa too.

If only I could talk my DH into doing both!!!! LOL. Then I wouldn't have such dilemmas.

Thanks again guys.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: