Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #556
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylizard View Post
I lived in Florida for 10 years (Orlando, Fort Myers and Sanibel Island) so I can definitely give you advice about Florida living if you need it.
Thank you very much! I'm moving to the Bradenton/Sarasota area. I do have family members and friends down there already to ask for help with Florida living, but I will certainly ask if I have any questions!

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR
Alien Encounter gave me PTSD!! A Dec '14 PTR

Old 04-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #557
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I'm happy that you have made a firm decision about moving to Disney. I'm excited for you, it will be such a fun new adventure to embark on. Good luck!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #558
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
I know I'm going to be working 7 days a week, at least 12 hours a day for the next several months, but I also know it will be completely worth it when I can move with my own home and a job, in the place I want to live. I'm very excited about it, knowing in 5 months I will be looking at houses and jobs!!!! If anyone has any advice for a first time home buyer and/or moving out of state, I would so appreciate it.
What a great feeling, to make a decision like that. Since I moved out of state since my trip, I do have a bit of advice ... start looking for a job at least 3+ months out. The job market is tough, and many good jobs are taking their time in selecting people. I told my husband this when I got my job offer in January (after 13 months of searching, fora job I applied for in Dec 2011, but my field is particularly tough, yours probably isn't) and he didn't listen because his field has much fewer qualified applicants, but he started looking for jobs in March thinking he'd have something by May. At his top three choices of companies, all three said they just got done hiring for his position. If he had applied in January, he could have started in April ... fortunately he's moving up next month and has a few months worth of vacation to burn from his previous job while he looks for his new job, so we should be fine, but the earlier you can apply the better.

Because housing prices are so comparatively low, as are loan rates, its also a very tight market housing-wise. We thought we'd be able to buy a home to move into and leave ours rented out at a profit. After 2 months of living with friends, and not seeing a single house in our price range I'd be okay with living in (and watching all these mediocre houses entertain bidding wars from multiple prospective buyers), we moved into the home we bought in 2008. So, before you go down, have your loan pre-approved by a lender. A good mortgage broker can help you with this. You need to be pre approved before you even think about making an offer on a home, and you'll need to have an offer on the table as soon as you see a home you like since they're moving so quickly atm.

That being said, getting to the area you want to be in is totally rewarding. I love my new job, and really feel like I'm home again being in California instead of Hawaii. I'm not sure why some place speak to us more than others, but when you find a place that does, it can make all the difference to your psyche. And it doesn't hurt to be that much closer to Disney ... even though I won't have the money to head to DLR until December, its nice knowing that its a 5 hour drive away instead of a 5 hour plane ride ...
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #559
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Congrats on making your decision to move and good luck with the process. I'm sure the end result will definitely make all the hard work worthwhile.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #560
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I'm happy that you have made a firm decision about moving to Disney. I'm excited for you, it will be such a fun new adventure to embark on. Good luck!
Thank you! I'm very happy to have set this all in motion, even if it's still the very beginning stages now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
What a great feeling, to make a decision like that. Since I moved out of state since my trip, I do have a bit of advice ... start looking for a job at least 3+ months out. The job market is tough, and many good jobs are taking their time in selecting people. I told my husband this when I got my job offer in January (after 13 months of searching, fora job I applied for in Dec 2011, but my field is particularly tough, yours probably isn't) and he didn't listen because his field has much fewer qualified applicants, but he started looking for jobs in March thinking he'd have something by May. At his top three choices of companies, all three said they just got done hiring for his position. If he had applied in January, he could have started in April ... fortunately he's moving up next month and has a few months worth of vacation to burn from his previous job while he looks for his new job, so we should be fine, but the earlier you can apply the better.

Because housing prices are so comparatively low, as are loan rates, its also a very tight market housing-wise. We thought we'd be able to buy a home to move into and leave ours rented out at a profit. After 2 months of living with friends, and not seeing a single house in our price range I'd be okay with living in (and watching all these mediocre houses entertain bidding wars from multiple prospective buyers), we moved into the home we bought in 2008. So, before you go down, have your loan pre-approved by a lender. A good mortgage broker can help you with this. You need to be pre approved before you even think about making an offer on a home, and you'll need to have an offer on the table as soon as you see a home you like since they're moving so quickly atm.

That being said, getting to the area you want to be in is totally rewarding. I love my new job, and really feel like I'm home again being in California instead of Hawaii. I'm not sure why some place speak to us more than others, but when you find a place that does, it can make all the difference to your psyche. And it doesn't hurt to be that much closer to Disney ... even though I won't have the money to head to DLR until December, its nice knowing that its a 5 hour drive away instead of a 5 hour plane ride ...
Thank you so very much for the advice. I actually plan on starting to look for a job down there in late July with the hopes of moving in October or November. The job market down there is pretty bad, though my field is not as bad as most others. I will also be getting pre-approved for a mortgage in August so I can make an offer right away when I find a house I love.

I agree with your phrasing that some places just speak to us. Florida, and specifically the Gulf coast, definitely does that for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Congrats on making your decision to move and good luck with the process. I'm sure the end result will definitely make all the hard work worthwhile.
Thank you very much!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #561
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Wow! What great news! I love setting goals, they motivate me tremendously. We moved from NJ to NH on a whim. Work for us was easy, it was a matter of a job transfer. However, most realtors also require the pre approval letter to even show you a house (our experience) Moves are exciting, and the one thing I wish we paid attention to was the school system. We didn't expect being "stuck" here because of the market falling out, and now have 2 kids... People look to buy in surrounding areas that have better schools. Our plan was to move this year but with a job promotion for DH we will be here for 1 more year, and thankfully you can see the market returning in our area, along with house values....

Basically, with how things go with our recovering economy things are looking better, but almost set yourself up for the long term just in case.... Does that make sense?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #562
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
Wow! What great news! I love setting goals, they motivate me tremendously. We moved from NJ to NH on a whim. Work for us was easy, it was a matter of a job transfer. However, most realtors also require the pre approval letter to even show you a house (our experience) Moves are exciting, and the one thing I wish we paid attention to was the school system. We didn't expect being "stuck" here because of the market falling out, and now have 2 kids... People look to buy in surrounding areas that have better schools. Our plan was to move this year but with a job promotion for DH we will be here for 1 more year, and thankfully you can see the market returning in our area, along with house values....

Basically, with how things go with our recovering economy things are looking better, but almost set yourself up for the long term just in case.... Does that make sense?
Makes sense for sure!

Old 04-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #563
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Makes sense for sure!
Ok good While kids and family might not be on your mind (I don't know and it's not my business!) you may not always love your house, or maybe a better job is a farther commute, and having that will help resale (ie my situation!)

Good luck!!! :D Change is a wonderful thing!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #564
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
Ok good While kids and family might not be on your mind (I don't know and it's not my business!) you may not always love your house, or maybe a better job is a farther commute, and having that will help resale (ie my situation!)

Good luck!!! :D Change is a wonderful thing!
I don't have any plans to ever have kids, but I do know to keep the rest in mind for sure! Thank you!!!!

Old 04-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #565
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Thank God...a TR I'm not far behind on.

Congratulations on your decision to move to Florida by the end of the year.

I know exactly how you feel. Mark and I were sitting at the pool in Naples on Thursday night and he said to me..."that's it, we are moving in three years come he** or high water. We are both so much more relaxed and happy when we are there. It just calls to us.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #566
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Thank God...a TR I'm not far behind on.

Congratulations on your decision to move to Florida by the end of the year.

I know exactly how you feel. Mark and I were sitting at the pool in Naples on Thursday night and he said to me..."that's it, we are moving in three years come he** or high water. We are both so much more relaxed and happy when we are there. It just calls to us.
Well, that's because I haven't updated in a while!

Thank you very much. I knew you would understand the desire to be in Florida, it calls to me too! And just think, once you do move you will just be a bit south of me.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #567
PhoenixStrength

Hi everyone!! I know it has been a while, but I've had a lot going on. I'm going to get the mini-TR started today for sure so I can get that done then finish this TR.

Until then, did everyone see the preview released today for the new parade that is replacing Celebrate A Dream Come True? Festival of Fantasy Parade It looks very interesting, and I can't wait to see it myself. If only I had a trip planned!

Last edited by PhoenixStrength; 04-29-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #568
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Hi everyone!! I know it has been a while, but I've had a lot going on. I'm going to get the mini-TR started today for sure so I can get that done then finish this TR.

Until then, did everyone see the preview released today for the new parade that is replacing Celebrate A Dream Come True? Festival of Fantasy Parade It looks very interesting, and I can't wait to see it myself. If only I had a trip planned!

I did see this and am intrigued. I'm wondering what "Spring 2014" actually means. I'll be there in Feb 2014 but that's not really spring. Don't know if I'll get ot see it or not.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #569
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Be sure to link the mini-TR unless you are including it here.

I hadn't seen that. I'll have to go and take a look.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #570
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto0809 View Post
I did see this and am intrigued. I'm wondering what "Spring 2014" actually means. I'll be there in Feb 2014 but that's not really spring. Don't know if I'll get ot see it or not.
If you read the comments on the article they say they don't actually have a start date for it yet, that's why they are just saying Spring. It does look nice for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Be sure to link the mini-TR unless you are including it here.

I hadn't seen that. I'll have to go and take a look.
It will be here, so no linking needed! It will only be a few updates to do since I didn't take a ton of pictures. Should have it done this week even.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: