Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
csjordan
Yearning for the Ears

2014 DVC Rental Grand Gathering

My family of 13 is planning a Thanksgiving 2014 trip. Considering renting DVC points for Grand Villa. Would it be best to do that or hold out to see if there might be Free Dining that week. Not sure how hard it is to get a Grand Villa. Only stayed in studios previously. A little afraid to wait, but FD would save us a lot of $$!

Thanks!!! Carole

csjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

Free dining won't make up for the amount you'll save by renting DVC points especially on a grand villa.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by csjordan View Post
My family of 13 is planning a Thanksgiving 2014 trip. Considering renting DVC points for Grand Villa. Would it be best to do that or hold out to see if there might be Free Dining that week. Not sure how hard it is to get a Grand Villa. Only stayed in studios previously. A little afraid to wait, but FD would save us a lot of $$!

Thanks!!! Carole
Couple of things here... If you're talking about being there during the holiday, you likely won't see any discounts. It's a really busy week naturally, Disney doesn't have to do much to fill the rooms.

As far as renting points for a GV goes, you have a couple of things working against you. GVs cost a ton of points, so finding someone who has that many points to rent at the resort you want, can be difficult. You also would need to have someone to rent from lined up BEFORE the 11-month window opens, so December 2013 is when you'd have to have someone book the reservation for you.

If you're talking about an extended family trip, be aware that there are typically no cancelations or changes when you rent DVC points, so if people drop out, you will have no recourse to change the reservation (and you will have to pay the full amount up front, when the reservation is made).
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
csjordan
Yearning for the Ears

Mouse savers had free dining listed last year, I thought. Considering the GV at Old Key West. Is only a little I've 350 points. Not too bad really! My brother and I will be splitting the cost for the group, so that's why I was thinking 4 rooms with(hopefully) FD. Would be 11 adults and 2 toddlers. ,

Old 04-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csjordan
Mouse savers had free dining listed last year, I thought. Considering the GV at Old Key West. Is only a little I've 350 points. Not too bad really! My brother and I will be splitting the cost for the group, so that's why I was thinking 4 rooms with(hopefully) FD. Would be 11 adults and 2 toddlers. ,
If you check the discount rates and codes board, FD may make way to stay/play/dine.

I would be pleasantly surprised if I got it, but base the trip on what you can afford and some sort of dining plan will be icing on the cake.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by csjordan View Post

Thanks!!! Carole
One problem. Grand Villas sleep twelve. You have 13 unless one of the 13 is under the age of three. You'd need an extra studio. And it might be hard to find a member with that many points to make that reservation in Dec 2013.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
One problem. Grand Villas sleep twelve. You have 13 unless one of the 13 is under the age of three. You'd need an extra studio. And it might be hard to find a member with that many points to make that reservation in Dec 2013.
Good eye-I wouldn't have caught that as I assumed the LR couch was was for a guest. Maybe save ponts and get a 1BR and a 2BR.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
disney2014plan
Mouseketeer

I don't know about other villas, but while pricing up my Dec 2014 trip, I saw that for Animal Kingdom Villas, that a 2BR + 1 BR was significantly cheaper (talking hundreds of dollars) than the 3 BR Grand Villa.

Plus, even if you are an extended family, it does offer a little more flexibility so if there are people with young kids or who need an early night while others want to sit up and chat until the wee small hours, having a seperate villa gives you those options. Also if there are several kids there , there will no doubt be the "Can I sleep with Grandma/Auntie/cousin/whoever tonight pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease!" so you gat more choice with those options.
disney2014plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
csjordan
Yearning for the Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney2014plan View Post
I don't know about other villas, but while pricing up my Dec 2014 trip, I saw that for Animal Kingdom Villas, that a 2BR + 1 BR was significantly cheaper (talking hundreds of dollars) than the 3 BR Grand Villa.

Plus, even if you are an extended family, it does offer a little more flexibility so if there are people with young kids or who need an early night while others want to sit up and chat until the wee small hours, having a seperate villa gives you those options. Also if there are several kids there , there will no doubt be the "Can I sleep with Grandma/Auntie/cousin/whoever tonight pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease!" so you gat more choice with those options.
Thanks for the idea! Looked up the points for Old Key West and it looks like a 1 bdr and 2 bdr would be slightly more points than the GV. I can foresee my DD and her 2 cousins going with the "can we sleep together" thing! I will have a contingency plan for that, for sure!

2 of the 13 staying are under 3, so they can sleep in portable cribs or pack'n' plays.

Thanks to all for all of the ideas! That's one of the many things I love about staying at WDW...there are so many options!

Last edited by csjordan; 04-17-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: ETA: We just stayed at AKL Kidani Village and it is fabulous! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to stay there again!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: