Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #31
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyusername View Post

If you think the buffets/family-style meals are how you'd like to eat, the dining plan generally saves you money over buying the same meals OOP.
You are right! Out of our many trip to WDW we have used the Dining Plan 3 times. Each time I pick what restaurants we want to eat at, estimate how much a meal would cost, and then figure out if we would save money on the plan or not. If we do a trip that is heavy on character meals, then the Dining Plan saves us money.

For our next trip, I am right on the edge. If we don't order dessert, we are right at the break even point. So I am still giving it some thought, and want to talk it over some more with the rest of the family.

I will never understand why some posters see things one way, and think others should too. Not everything is always good or always bad. Lots of shades of grey.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #32
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

There's a very heavy psychological affect to having the dining plan that goes way beyond the price of the plan, not looking at the prices when you order, not pulling out a credit card, just handing over your KTTW and having the meals "magically" deducted from your account. No battles with the family over what to order or where to eat, etc. I've seen posters with the deluxe plan who left lots of the credits unused and were happy as clams with the plan, even though they probably lost quite a bit of money on it. Disney knows that there are guests who will pay whatever they have to pay just to get an "all-inclusive" feeling.

The buffets/alll you can eat places are still a massive deal on the regular DDP for kids under 10. It's rather like getting their CS and snacks free, once you spring for one character meal a day. Not so much for adults, but if you like the way the plan works, no reason you shouldn't get it even if it winds up costing you some in the long run (which is one reason Disney likes it too and apparently plugs it to guests booking room reservations whenever they get the chance.)
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: