Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
itsmeamanda
Mouseketeer

Pictures per Day at WDW

On average, about how many pics do you take per day at WDW? We are heading there soon for our first trip and I am trying to make sure I have plenty of memory cards. I realize everyone is different, but thought I could get at least a good idea.
itsmeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
PythonFan888
DIS Veteran

I use a Nikon D7000 and shoot in RAW. I averaged about 1500 shots per day during my last trip which was mostly for photography. (I shoot a lot of brackets.) Each RAW file was about 18 - 20 MB and I filled the 2 16 GB SDHC cards in the dual SD slots in the camera. I also carry 2 extra 16 GB SDHC cards.

When I get back to the resort I back up all the contents of the cards to a laptop and also to an external hard drive. After I confirm that all the files have been backed up twice I then reformat the cards for use the following day.

If you shoot in JPG you should be able to fit more shots depending on the size of your sensor. If you're able to back up your shots every night then you really don't need to bring that many cards. After a card mishap in an earlier trip I have always done this backup routine during our vacations to WDW.

What camera will you bring and do you shoot RAW?

Last edited by PythonFan888; 04-15-2013 at 08:24 PM.
PythonFan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
I married a king
Earning My Ears

In the past i have taken as many as 1300- 1500. I have a 64g memory card and it holds 2200 pics on that so I have never had to change one out
I married a king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
itsmeamanda
Mouseketeer

Thanks! I shoot a Nikon D7000 in raw as well. I've got 9 16GB cards, and 2 or 3 8GB cards. I won't have a way to back them up on the trip, so no formatting. I think I am going to grab 2 more 16GBs just to be on the safe side.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
rossb
Mouseketeer

Are you going for a family vacation or for a photo outing? My wife is not the type to sit there and wait for me to setup a shot. She feels that is a waste of valuable vacation time. I typically average about 200 per day with very little bracketing.

On my last trip I only averaged about 150 a day and I used a D800 in the highest quality JPEG mode. 700 shots equalled about 10 GB.
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Photography is a major part of my vacations. I can't give you a day-by-day count, but I take between 5,000 to 6,000 per week. I shoot a Pentax K5 (RAW + JPEG), which has the same sensor as your Nikon.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
itsmeamanda
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! Most of my shots will be of my children with some landscape and detail shots thrown in.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossb View Post
Are you going for a family vacation or for a photo outing? My wife is not the type to sit there and wait for me to setup a shot. She feels that is a waste of valuable vacation time. I typically average about 200 per day with very little bracketing.
I think this is the defining question. I shoot anything between 300 and 400 a day but mine is a family vacation and I would estimate taking at least double or 3 times that if the object of my visit was purely photography
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I think I average ~500/day but only keep a fraction of them.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

Also varies for me, depending on if I'm there for photography, or there with friends & family and also taking photos on the side. Typical for me might be 150-300 a day with family or friends along. On a dedicated photography trip, like when I go solo, I might shoot anywhere from 300-800 a day. On special occasions like my December trip with the Pixelmania photo event each year, where we are a bunch of photographers there strictly to shoot and have special meets, shows, and events, I can run 800-2,000 a day - the numbers go higher when shooting live events, stage shows, lots of HDR and multiframe, and so on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: