Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #451
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
We have asked Rome in Limo to have us back to port two hours before all aboard time which we will confirm that morning. Our logic is that if we leave Rome in time to be back two hours ahead, if we have vehicle trouble on the way back, there is time to get a replacement vehicle and have us on our way. Our kids are a little freaked out that we are going that far from port not on a DCL excursion - they are afraid we will be left behind, so we are sacrificing some time in port for their peace of mind - and to help them learn that it's ok to do things on our own as long as we have careful planning. So we figure 90 minutes drive from Rome to Civitavecchia (which I'm not sure is right - it might be closer to 75??) and we'll have our driver plan our day so we're on the port side of the city towards the end of the day.
Thanks! We are also doing about 2 hours before all aboard (we're meeting at 2:15 hours before, but actual drive times will put us at 2 hours before).

BTW, I had been getting up and checking google maps with traffic time at Rome time 4pm to see if it indeed takes 90 minutes--- and it varies but I agree that general drive time is 75-80 minutes. The company I'm using doesn't seem worried about the 2 hour lead time. You're post also made me feel better. That day, though, I am bringing everyone's passports just to be safe.

I was also going to print out our train schedule options so we have a back up plan. I figure if we really miss the ship, hotels are cheaper in Naples than they are in Rome.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #452
lgajohnson
Mouseketeer

I usually would post this on our own med cruise thread, but I figured the more dissers the better. We are flying Boston to Frankfurt to Barcelona. We have the same route on the way home Barcelona to Frankfurt to Boston. Both legs are on Lufthansa.

What has been everybody's experiences with customs/immigrations? Will we have to claim our luggage in Frankfurt and then proceed to customs/immigrations? Or does our luggage go straight through to our final destination?

How is the Frankfurt airport?

Thanks for all your tips!
lgajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #453
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgajohnson View Post
I usually would post this on our own med cruise thread, but I figured the more dissers the better. We are flying Boston to Frankfurt to Barcelona. We have the same route on the way home Barcelona to Frankfurt to Boston. Both legs are on Lufthansa.

What has been everybody's experiences with customs/immigrations? Will we have to claim our luggage in Frankfurt and then proceed to customs/immigrations? Or does our luggage go straight through to our final destination?

How is the Frankfurt airport?

Thanks for all your tips!
I haven't connected through the Frankfurt airport but I have flow to Europe a few times w/connections.

Make sure when you are checking in from your origin airport that the luggage is tagged all the way through to your final destination. That way, it will get transferred for you by the airline.

Also---make sure you get your boarding pass for the connecting flight. There shouldn't be any problems but if you don't have the pass for the connecting flight, you will end up having to stop and check in at the counter in Frankfurt which would be a pain.

When going from Europe to the US, make sure you mention to the clerk at check in your final destination. Alot of flights connect through Frankfurt and you want to make sure they print out the right tags, passes, etc.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #454
AngelDisney
Dream a Disney Dream 0[;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyNurse19 View Post
I have only done Disney excursions, i would worry all day if i booked one myself and i didnt get back in time and watched the ship sailing away without me
It's just DD and myself on the Med cruise, so booking non-Disney tours does not save much. Totally agree with having the peace of mind just in case something unexpected happens. We will also be doing just DCL excursions.

Have fun planning!

AngelDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #455
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Not sure if anyone is still looking for airfare or if these dates will work for the June cruises, but I just got an alert that Hotwire has LAX to LHR for $900+ ish. When one line drops the pricing, others sometimes match.

http://www.hotwire.com/air/flex/resu...earchTokenId=0

If you are actually looking for airfare, I would use these Hotwire dates as parameters and then "really" look on Kayak or fly.com.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #456
a1sand
Earning My Ears

New to the Med cruise!

Ok, I just booked a seven night Med cruise for this June. I am so excited, but feeling a little overwhelmed that I have so much planning to do in so little time.
I've read through the whole post, but have a few questions.

My family went on the Dream three night a year ago December, what can I expect to be different on the seven night and on the Magic?

How formal is the formal night?

I've read things about the Rainforest room. Is there one on the Magic? If so, how do you book it?

Thanks!
a1sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #457
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1sand View Post
Ok, I just booked a seven night Med cruise for this June. I am so excited, but feeling a little overwhelmed that I have so much planning to do in so little time.
I've read through the whole post, but have a few questions.

My family went on the Dream three night a year ago December, what can I expect to be different on the seven night and on the Magic?

How formal is the formal night?

I've read things about the Rainforest room. Is there one on the Magic? If so, how do you book it?
Hi - wow - you do have a lot of planning to do in a little bit of time, but don't sweat it. You've cruised before so you know how things work on the ship - even though you'll be on the Magic, much will be the same. What you can expect to be different on a 7-night vs a 3-night is that you will feel like you have time to actually relax a bit - 3 days is quick! Also be prepared to say you'll never do a 3-night again. LOL.

Formal night in the Med tends to be less formal the Formal night in the Caribbean. It's still nice dresses or pants outfits for the women, jackets and ties for the men. Some people do the whole formal thing, but for the most part, with luggage limitations from the airlines, people are less likely to pack their formal wear for the trip.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #458
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi - wow - you do have a lot of planning to do in a little bit of time, but don't sweat it. You've cruised before so you know how things work on the ship - even though you'll be on the Magic, much will be the same. What you can expect to be different on a 7-night vs a 3-night is that you will feel like you have time to actually relax a bit - 3 days is quick! Also be prepared to say you'll never do a 3-night again. LOL.

Formal night in the Med tends to be less formal the Formal night in the Caribbean. It's still nice dresses or pants outfits for the women, jackets and ties for the men. Some people do the whole formal thing, but for the most part, with luggage limitations from the airlines, people are less likely to pack their formal wear for the trip.
We are spending a week in the south of France prior to the cruise. Formal wear is NOT making this trip. We are just going to dress up our black outfit with "paste" and sparkly scarfs LOL! (SORRY for those of you who are going to be looking down at us with disgust, but.... I am not hauling that stuff around for 7 plus days just for one night on a boat!)

Magic has a rainforest area but it's not near as big as on the Dream/Fantasy. I enjoyed the Rainforest room on the Dream but have decided to skip it on this trip as it just seems less interesting (no hot tubs or special showers, not the cool ocean view etc...)
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #459
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post

We are spending a week in the south of France prior to the cruise. Formal wear is NOT making this trip. We are just going to dress up our black outfit with "paste" and sparkly scarfs LOL! (SORRY for those of you who are going to be looking down at us with disgust, but.... I am not hauling that stuff around for 7 plus days just for one night on a boat!)
We aren't hauling dressy clothes either Way tooooo much trouble. Baggage room is way too valuable to bring something to wear for one night.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #460
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What is "paste"?
We skip formal night in the main dining rooms anyway - we prefer the relaxed nature of Topsiders on formal night - and how empty the pool deck areas are while everyone else has gone to their cabins early to get dressed up.

However, we will stroll through the Captain's reception area and have a free fancy drink on whichever night that is - usually dressed in our shorts and t-shirts We also found that planning to skip dinner has allowed us to go see a movie in the Buena Vista theater that we might otherwise not get to see because of scheduling.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #461
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What is "paste"?
\.
Fake diamonds LOL
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #462
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Fake diamonds LOL
thanks I'd not heard that expression before.
I had visions of someone bedazzling something in their cabin before dinner.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #463
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
thanks I'd not heard that expression before.
I had visions of someone bedazzling something in their cabin before dinner.
Me too...I just couldn't figure out what that meant!

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #464
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

We'll be dressy, but not formal. And I kinda don't get the side-eyes when people don't dress up? Do people really glare? I guess I've never noticed.

I'm lucky if my husband can find his pants in our luggage without my help, so a day where my husband finds his pants unassisted while I'm dressing our 2 kids is a good day for me Don't have time to worry about "real" formalwear.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #465
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
We'll be dressy, but not formal. And I kinda don't get the side-eyes when people don't dress up? Do people really glare? I guess I've never noticed.

I'm lucky if my husband can find his pants in our luggage without my help, so a day where my husband finds his pants unassisted while I'm dressing our 2 kids is a good day for me Don't have time to worry about "real" formalwear.
Weve been on 12 DCL cruises and never have noticed any funny looks for people who do OR don't get dressed up. Anyone can envision what they think they are seeing. On our Baltic cruise, we packed a FULL large suitcase with everyone's formal clothes and that just was a big mistake. I can't imagine us doing that this time. I found some really good deals on David's bridal and got beautiful dresses for the girls for about $20 each. So it seemed to make sense at the time. But I have learned that simple is so much better!

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: