Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #1096
ellone
DIS Veteran

We'll be going in a month and my 19 month old will still be bf. I'm hoping she self weans by 2, but it doesn't look good at this point (her sister did self wean by 20 months). She eats solids fine, but is not a fan of cow milk. She will not drink it at all if I am present.

I have a feeling I will be getting looks (I know I got some when bf her younger sister at 13 months) and this one is a *tall* 19 month old.
ellone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #1097
Pseudacris
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VbChristy View Post
What type of carrier do you recommend for breast feeding?
I always loved a good sling. You can angle them down well, multiple positions to wear the baby, and the little sling "tail" is great if the baby needs to have head covered for sun/distraction/etc. I was never successful in an upright carrier like an ergo, but I know some people are.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #1098
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
I have done oatmeal, and its impact was minimal..i'm not a huge fan, so it's hard to make myself eat it when it didn't seem to do much. I can't do beer...I've tried, I just really can't stand beer. Give me wine, and I'm happy I'm not overly worried about my supply because it pretty much is what she's eating as long as I'm getting in the sessions. I just don't want to risk it depleting to see if I can reduce sessions, kwim? It took a bit to re-regulate after Disney, and it was stressful because I was worrying about it and dipping into freezer stash to cover it. 8x/day sucks, but it also gives me some time where DD isn't attached to me...so in that way it's somewhat relaxing too.

As for the manual...I have used one once or twice, when my Ameda pump broke and I hadn't had the medela in my possession yet. It worked OK - great, even, for the occasional session. For your situation, on the plane, I think I'd be more likely to use the manual.
Thanks for your recommendation! Did your hand hurt at all from manual pumping? I have a bit of tendonitis in my hands and it acts up occasionally with repetitive motion. Not all the time, but sometimes.

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #1099
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellone View Post
We'll be going in a month and my 19 month old will still be bf. I'm hoping she self weans by 2, but it doesn't look good at this point (her sister did self wean by 20 months). She eats solids fine, but is not a fan of cow milk. She will not drink it at all if I am present.

I have a feeling I will be getting looks (I know I got some when bf her younger sister at 13 months) and this one is a *tall* 19 month old.
My DD self weaned at 20 months too. My son is almost 18 months old and still nursing. He actually nursed more during our trip last week then he does at home. He nursed on most of the rides and all of the shows! I've never in all my time breastfeeding gotten any weird looks or comments. I wouldn't care anyway, a kid has to eat. I actually saw quite a few toddlers nursing last week. One actually looked older then my own....so don't think you're the only one.
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #1100
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Thanks for your recommendation! Did your hand hurt at all from manual pumping? I have a bit of tendonitis in my hands and it acts up occasionally with repetitive motion. Not all the time, but sometimes.
It did a little bit..I switched hands about 1/2 through on each side to help that a little bit. I think I was using the manual pump accessory that came with the Ameda pump, which may not be the best - it was just what I had. I've heard good things about the Medela Harmony, though.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #1101
VbChristy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudacris View Post

I always loved a good sling. You can angle them down well, multiple positions to wear the baby, and the little sling "tail" is great if the baby needs to have head covered for sun/distraction/etc. I was never successful in an upright carrier like an ergo, but I know some people are.
Was there a brand/model that liked?
VbChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #1102
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sleeping Baby Productions is a ring-sling maker that I've seen recommended a lot. I really liked the feel of their sling, I just couldn't use it b/c the one shoulder weight distribution doesn't work with my lower back issues. MayaWrap Ring Slings are another brand I tried and was also quite comfortable.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #1103
Pseudacris
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I had a ring sling that a friend of mine made (she had a business). But, maya wrap is a good brand that most folks like. The ring is what makes it so adjustable and helpful.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #1104
dtr_angel
You're really cute, but I have no idea what you are saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudacris

I had a ring sling that a friend of mine made (she had a business). But, maya wrap is a good brand that most folks like. The ring is what makes it so adjustable and helpful.
Thanks, just ordered one from amazon. Gives me time to get used to it before Disney

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

dtr_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #1105
VbChristy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudacris View Post

Thanks to you and Angel Ariel!
VbChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #1106
sassie_kat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellone View Post

Don't worry about it! My oldest self-weaned at 3, my middle "self"-weaned at just under 18 months (I was at the very tail end of my pregnancy and he declared my breasts "b-oken" . . . #3 came along less than a week later and he wouldn't go back), my youngest self-weaned at just over 2 years. The only looks I got when BFing my babes were usually from supportive mothers. I got a pat on the shoulder from a grandmother. Once, at a restaurant, our waitress tucked a card under my bill that said she was proud of my for BFing in public and that I should "keep on keeping on". I think she realized how little support I got from my in-laws!

Anyway - most people are so caught up in themselves/their kids while at WDW that they're not even going to notice what you're doing. Have a great trip!
sassie_kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #1107
beautifultomorrow
DIS Veteran

Sorry if this has been answered before, but will the baby care centers/first aid store pumped breast milk for you in the refrigerator? My little one is going to be spending some time at the resort having fun with grandma so I plan to pump a few times at the parks when we are apart. Wasn't sure if I could possibly store the milk there or if I should just plan to bring a little cooler. I don't want to pump and dump if I can avoid it. Thanks!
beautifultomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #1108
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

I don't know about the BCCs, but I kept pumped milk in a small cooler with ice packs on each side of the cooler, and it stayed cold pretty much all day. I had 2 sets of ice packs so that if I went back to the hotel, I could switch them out midday.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #1109
Lbachelot
Mouseketeer

I love this thread! I nursed DD3 until she was a year old and planning on doing the same for DS who is 4.5 months old. We are going in December right after DD turns 4 and DS turns 1 so who knows if I will still be nursing him but I would have no trouble nursing him at WDW. I have nursed anywhere from the park, zoo, children's museums, restaurants and other theme parks. You name it and I have probably nursed there. Don't let anyone intimidate you or get under your skin. You are feeding your precious child!

1995 FW, 1997 The Cabins at FW, 1999 Off Site with HS Band, 2001 ASM, Jan. 2012 POR (DD's First Trip), Dec. 2013 POFQ (DS's First Trip), Oct. 2014 AoA (Mommy/Daughter Surprise Trip)

Lbachelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #1110
ChallengeFlag
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifultomorrow View Post
Sorry if this has been answered before, but will the baby care centers/first aid store pumped breast milk for you in the refrigerator? My little one is going to be spending some time at the resort having fun with grandma so I plan to pump a few times at the parks when we are apart. Wasn't sure if I could possibly store the milk there or if I should just plan to bring a little cooler. I don't want to pump and dump if I can avoid it. Thanks!
At Epcot, about a month ago, I was not allowed to store anything in the Baby Care Center. I could not leave my pump, and I could not store a cooler bag with breast milk in it.
I have read conflicting stories on this... some people say that they HAVE been allowed to do this, but I can tell you that I was not.
I carried my cooler bag with the Medela ice pack. It kept my milk at an acceptable temperature.
ChallengeFlag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breastfeeding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: