Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
bas71873
DIS Veteran

WDW website - I think it "crappy" on purpose!

I'm convinced more and more that WDWs web issues are intentional so that you get so frustrated that you are forced to call and deal with CMs.

I've been trying for DAYS to price out a room/package for our late Nov/early Dec trip now that airfare has been released and I'm having to shift my dates by a day or two; but the site will NOT let me edit the package I was playing weeks ago that is still in my "cart". There's no excuse for a company like Disney to have such a buggy, NON-user friendly website.

Sorry, just needed to rant for a second.

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
I'm convinced more and more that WDWs web issues are intentional so that you get so frustrated that you are forced to call and deal with CMs.

I've been trying for DAYS to price out a room/package for our late Nov/early Dec trip now that airfare has been released and I'm having to shift my dates by a day or two; but the site will NOT let me edit the package I was playing weeks ago that is still in my "cart". There's no excuse for a company like Disney to have such a buggy, NON-user friendly website.

I doubt that. Most companies would prefer you use their website over calling. The less people that call the less employees they need.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
gert
Mouseketeer

I build web & mobile apps for a living, and with Disney's I get the impression that their problem is more it's an old legacy system that's been added to and "upgraded" over the years. It's just a hunch, really, but I've dealt with old systems that have had features added to the point that it becomes like franken-software - just pieces of new and old that don't really go well together.

Sometimes with old systems it's best to just trash them and build something fresh from scratch, but that requires a buy-in from upper management. Upper management will sometimes opt for a quick fix because it's cheaper instead of a major overhaul and rebuild. As an app developer, it's a miserable situation to be in.
gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
cecepelle
Earning My Ears

I have been trying to price some packages myself and it has been frustrating! I like to take my time and try different options and I would not want to keep calling customer service.
cecepelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I build web & mobile apps for a living, and with Disney's I get the impression that their problem is more it's an old legacy system that's been added to and "upgraded" over the years. It's just a hunch, really, but I've dealt with old systems that have had features added to the point that it becomes like franken-software - just pieces of new and old that don't really go well together.

Sometimes with old systems it's best to just trash them and build something fresh from scratch, but that requires a buy-in from upper management. Upper management will sometimes opt for a quick fix because it's cheaper instead of a major overhaul and rebuild. As an app developer, it's a miserable situation to be in.
Funny, this is exactly what I was thinking. I always seem to get hired in to fix these types of situations. Management never wants to hear that it is best to start fresh, they just keep trying to cobble the old stuff onto the new resulting in a big mess!

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
momofkids
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Have you tried a different web browser? I use Mozilla and haven't had an issue pricing different packages.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
jenrose66
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Unfortunately the phones aren't much better. I used to be able to call Disney and get right through. For my last trip in August and the upcoming trip I have for April, I've been trying to call and I am on hold forever.

Yesterday I was on hold for 10 minutes and decided to give up. I called at a completely different time of day and was holding for 30 minutes back in January....it's ridiculous.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
I doubt that. Most companies would prefer you use their website over calling. The less people that call the less employees they need.
Agreed....I just think its a big site with a lot of legacy code.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:

Sorry, but to be blunt, that just doesn't make sense. Why would any corporation who relies on customer satisfaction intentionally design a web site that would frustrate and upset their customers? Why would they want to force customers to use the phone system, which is much more expensive for them to run?

I agree that the new system sucks. It is an embarrassment, and I hope heads have rolled. And the phone system has had long wait times since the online system went live because of this. When making reservations for our last trip I think I waited all of 30 seconds to talk to a CM. For our upcoming visit it was more like 30 min! I distrust this new system so much that I am pretty much ignoring the whole MDE thing until they get it right. We'll use it in the parks for wait and fastpass times and that's it.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Sorry, but to be blunt, that just doesn't make sense. Why would any corporation who relies on customer satisfaction intentionally design a web site that would frustrate and upset their customers? Why would they want to force customers to use the phone system, which is much more expensive for them to run?

I agree that the new system sucks. It is an embarrassment, and I hope heads have rolled. And the phone system has had long wait times since the online system went live because of this. When making reservations for our last trip I think I waited all of 30 seconds to talk to a CM. For our upcoming visit it was more like 30 min! I distrust this new system so much that I am pretty much ignoring the whole MDE thing until they get it right. We'll use it in the parks for wait and fastpass times and that's it.

Of course it doesn't make sense.....hence my rant. Wasn't meant literally!

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

I agree. If you don't like talking to people you can wade though the website but the rest will give up and call. Calling gives the CMs a chance to upsell you on packages, insurance, tickets and so on. And they can be quite aggressive some times. I am DVC and it still takes me 5min of saying no to get off the line.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

While I don't believe it's crappy on purpose, I definitely believe it is crappy.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Crappy.

Yes.

I don't bother any longer.

I like to call and speak with a magical CM.

If I happen to get one that is less than magical, I'll thank them, hang up and call again.

Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: