Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
DisneyMim
DIS Veteran

Thank you!!! I thought I was the only one who found the "bussing my own table" annoying. We were at WDW during Christmas. We were not staying at AOA but we thought it would be fun to have lunch there one day and walk around. The food court was very nice, more "different" types of foods than the usual value and mod food courts. My family likes all kinds of foods so we did like our lunch, but I can see how some people would not make the food court their number one food court pick. I don't think I would like eating there every day. Again, I did not enjoy at all the fact that you have to put your garbage into different containers (think Panera, and yes I hate it there too). We ALWAYS clean up after ourselves, but hey we are on vacation and just like to "dump" everything into a trash container. I found at AOA, like the previous poster said that the "holes" were too small and trying to stuff things in was just annoying and messy. All in all we really enjoyed visiting AOA, but for our family we'll stay somewhere else.

Enjoy The Magic!!
DisneyMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

We stayed at POP last June and ate at both food courts. I loved the make your own pasta at AOA and my family found things they liked, too. AOA is a "prettier" and more upscale food court. We are staying at AOA this time but I think we will use both food courts again for variety. I could not eat at AOA every day.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
HappyHaunts999
Mouseketeer

We stayed at Pop twice recently and went to AoA for most of our meals. My kids are not little, DD22, DS17. We loved the make your own smoothies and yogurt parfaits. Fresh fruit on waffle, french toast and pancakes. For later in the day we did make your own burger and pastas. Out a total of a little over 2 weeks I think we only ate a Pop 3 times.We are much happier with the selection at AoA.
HappyHaunts999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

I was very disappointed in the food court at AoA last Dec.
Let me preface by saying that I was so looking forward to eating there since we were staying there. We had tried the food court back when AoA first opened and were quite impressed by the freshness and quality. However on our Dec stay, I ordered the great stir fry that I had ordered earlier in the year. Back then it was made fresh to order. On the Dec trip, it was premade. The sides were overdone - hubby who normally doesn't eat spinach, the loved the spinach with cheese on our first visit. This time, the spinach was very soggy and overdone. I loved the cauliflower with tomatoes on the first visit - the cauliflower was cooked just right and the tomatoes were soft. This Dec., the cauliflower and tomatoes were dried out - like they had been made well in advance.
Since we had only eaten lunch and dinner there back when it first opened, I wanted to be sure to try the breakfast there this Dec. I was also disappointed with the breakfast station layout offerings. I love omelets and the made to order omelets were delicious - but they came with a biscuit. If you wanted potatoes, you had to get in line at a different station for the potatoes - leaving your fresh omelet to get cold.
I wished they would have been still taking surveys like they did when we ate there shortly after opening as my ratings would have changed from the great ratings that I gave earlier in the year.
The one nice thing is that there are real dishes and silverware instead of paper plates and plastic silverware (which is why they have the different bins and ask you to separate instead of all being disposable like other food courts).
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #20
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

We chose this resort specifically for their food court selections. They look little more unique than the standard hotel food court items. I am hoping based on what others have said that they will be good, we were not impressed with the POP food court at all on our last trip.

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #21
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
Picky kids and people who like plain foods have trouble with the AoA food court. Even the macaroni and cheese kids meal was not accepted because it was a square of baked (and delicious looking) mac and cheese casserole, not the goopy stuff all over Disney.

It is adventurous and new and I predict it will change soon to accommodate the need for run of the mill sameness.
I love homemade baked mac n cheese. I took one bite of my DD's and realized why she wouldn't eat it.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #22
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake View Post
I did not either and I am by NO means an elitist. But having to sort garbage, silver, flatware and then trying to cram stuff through the way too small holes in the trash cans just did me in.

I thought the food at AoA was just OK and I am an adventurous eater. I found that the food "sounded" better than it tasted. And service was so slow that our meals were lukewarm by the time we sat down--and no I was not there during peak season.
Agreed the holes in the garbage cans were way too small and service was very slow.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #23
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

Hmmm!

We will have our vehicle and sometimes eat a couple of times out of Disney. Its just nice that if you have spent the day at the parks to come back to your resort and order something or even take it back to your room if you are tired.
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #24
PattnFmly
DH drove me crazy last night! 'cause he was so loud!

Some questions I'm hoping someone will answer:
1) What is tandoori? What is Mongolian? Spicy? Heavy? Family doesn't like "big" flavors so not sure this would go over well.
2) Why no potatoes? Only rice for a side? (besides veggies that is) While I can eat rice once a week or so, can't imagine eating rice as a side all the time.
3) What sauces are available for make-your-own pasta? Red? Meatless? w/Meat? Alfredo? Pesto?
I can't really see us eating dinner there if we stay there if the only real "meals" are tandoori, Mongolian and pasta. I don't consider pizza or sandwiches to be dinner. Lunch yes, but dinner no. We like a "meal" at dinner.

With Family & Friends: 1976, 1980, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2007, (2009)
With wonderful, loving DH & DS's: 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012
PattnFmly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #25
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

We stayed at AoA Xmas week and ate at the food court there and at POP.

We found the two comparable. They were both great. Lots of choices and the food was always fresh and tasty. There was something for all of us and we are picky eaters. I have dietary issues as well and it was easy for me to find something to eat.

We have no problem cleaning up after ourselves and putting the plates and silverware in different spots. It's not a big deal at all.

We also didn't mind waiting a little longer for freshly cooked food. It actually was quicker than we thought it would be. I remember reading reports of how slow it would be and since we were there Xmas week I thought for sure we would have really long waits. That wasn't the case at all!
Old 05-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #26
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattnFmly View Post
Some questions I'm hoping someone will answer:
1) What is tandoori? What is Mongolian? Spicy? Heavy? Family doesn't like "big" flavors so not sure this would go over well.
2) Why no potatoes? Only rice for a side? (besides veggies that is) While I can eat rice once a week or so, can't imagine eating rice as a side all the time.
3) What sauces are available for make-your-own pasta? Red? Meatless? w/Meat? Alfredo? Pesto?
I can't really see us eating dinner there if we stay there if the only real "meals" are tandoori, Mongolian and pasta. I don't consider pizza or sandwiches to be dinner. Lunch yes, but dinner no. We like a "meal" at dinner.
I'll try and answer your questions as best I could from memory of when we were there Xmas week.

1. Tandori chicken is a chicken with indian flavors. It's marinated in yogurt, lemon juice and spices.
Mongolian is sort of like Chinese food. It's flank steak stir fried with veggies in a brown sauce. I had the Mongolian beef and it was not spicy nor was it heavy. I can't eat anything with big flavors or any kind of spice and it was fine for me.

2. I thought I saw more options than just rice. I think there are pictures of the menus online so you can do a search for more info.

3.Make your own pasta did have red sauce, alfredo, and pesto as options. There were more but I'm sorry I can't recall.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #27
rosiegmendez
Mouseketeer

Totally agree with this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven0855 View Post
Just returned from AoA yesterday. I was not impressed by the food court at all. We are pretty plain eaters and I didnt care for much on the menu. We had to walk to POP to get chicken nuggets for our son, which I find a bit crazy.

I like the layout at POP and I think they have a better selection of desserts/snacks.

I did like the smoothies at AoA though
AoA did not have regular mac and cheese (they had some sort of dry macaroni casserole thing), grilled cheese made with some sort of whole grain goldfish cracker bread. I enjoyed the pasta bar but the kids were not pleased with their options. Even the pizza tasted a little off. The deserts looked good but lacked flavor.

We did a split stay and moved to POR and their food court is awesome! Good mac and cheese? Check! Great pizzas to go? Check! Grilled Cheese with great bread? check! And dont get me started on deserts - their bakery is so good. AoA needs to work on the food offerings and stick to a traditional menu for kids.

I'm adding the dancing banana here becuase my daughter insists!

2013 - AoA LM / POR WDW
2007 - 2009 Annual Passes to Disneyland
2006 - GC Disneyland
rosiegmendez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: