Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Ummm.....I liked your review until it took a negative turn about the cruise director "Queen" and electronica music. I guess sometimes I forget that people have strong feelings about that. I'm not sure how his sexual orientation really matters.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
dunnhorn
I'd rather be at Castaway Cay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Ummm.....I liked your review until it took a negative turn about the cruise director "Queen" and electronica music. I guess sometimes I forget that people have strong feelings about that. I'm not sure how his sexual orientation really matters.
Nothing I said about the cruise director was negative. Ricky came off as a Queen. I have friends who I would classify as "Queens" and I don't think this is a negative term. The term "queen" does not equate to gay - I have known many gay men who were certainly not Queens. Queen means FLAMBOYANT. There were times when he was walking around with a 1 foot orange afro without a shirt on. Other times he was on TV wearing a pink feather boa. Some folks like coming off as a Queen, love to "Queen it up" and laugh about it. He seemed perfectly comfortable with his personality, and that said, he had a VERY likeable personality. However, there were times when I was watching some parties - they could have made a movie called "Priscilla Queen of the Seas." There were MANY people on the ship who were clearly having a rip roaring time and there were many more same sex couples (without kids) than what we have seen on our past experiences at Disney. It was just an observation point. Actually, sexuality aside - there were many more single people there in general and couples without kids. If you had kids, you were definitely in the minority. It is not that way on DCL. I also saw more people there on oxygen, and I saw many more grey hair couples without kids as well. All I was saying is that I was surprised. That said, I would have enjoyed it a lot more had I been alone with my husband and not looking for the same type of cruise experience that we previously had on our 3 Disney cruises. I honestly thought Royal would have been more family oriented than it was; it honestly seemed like this cruise was much more focused on the adult party rather than the family party that is the hallmark of a DCL cruise. That is evident in the timing of the parties (most started after 10 p.m.) and also the entire atmosphere of the parties and the ambient music around the ship.

Leslie Ann
Me, DH, DS 12, DD 10

DVC Homes: SSR, HH, BLT, BWV, VWL
Resorts visited: Every WDW resort except for Coronado and Art of Animation. I am boycotting the Poly due to lack of hot tub.

4 day Disney WONDER May '09.
4 day Disney DREAM April '11.
7 day Disney FANTASY Western May '12.
7 day RCCL OASIS OF THE SEAS Eastern April '13
4 day Disney MAGIC March'14

Looking forward to the DVC MEMBER CRUISE on the Disney DREAM in 8/14, and a 7 day ALASKAN cruise on the Disney WONDER in June '15.

Last edited by dunnhorn; 04-16-2013 at 09:41 PM.
dunnhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
Magic Fanatic
Mouseketeer

Your statement; "That said, I would have enjoyed it a lot more had I been alone with my husband and not looking for the same type of cruise experience that we previously had on our 3 Disney cruises.", said exactly what I was thinking when I read your trip report. As I read it I felt you were comparing everything to Disney, and that may not have a fair comparison. Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing your report as you had many positive comments concerning the other ship. I don't think that this other ship in any way positions itself as a substitute to Disney and what they offer families. You simple were not comparing apples to apples ( in my worthless opinion)
May 2014 - Disney Fantasy May 2013 - Disney Dream Dec 2012 - Ft Wilderness June 2012 - Wilderness Lodge April 2010 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2009 - Ft Wilderness May 2009 - Old Key West Aug 2008 - Ft Wilderness Mar 2008 - Disney Magic Dec 2007 - Ft Wilderness Feb 2007 - Animal Kingdom April 2006 - Disney Magic Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Mar 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2004 - Caribbean Beach Aug 2003 Caribbean Beach June 2002 - Port Orleans Oct 1009 - All Star Music
Magic Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnhorn View Post
I have friends who I would classify as "Queens" and I don't think this is a negative term. The term "queen" does not equate to gay - I have known many gay men who were certainly not Queens. Queen means FLAMBOYANT.
Hmm. While I agree with you that while "Queen" may mean flamboyant, IMO it also would implicate someone's sexual orientation. I also disagree that it's "not negative." I challenge you to call any straight man a Queen, and see what he says.

That aside, I really liked the other parts of your review. It was insightful, and it sounds like you are right about the focus on an adult party atmosphere.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #20
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Laughed at the Roast Beef sandwich on embarkation day part. That was us on Disney with the "huge" shrimp everyone here talked about at the embarkation day buffet lunch . Okay, they weren't salad shrimp, but they were maybe large or extra large shrimp, not even jumbo or Colossal (Colossals weigh about an ounce and a half a piece.) I had visions of the HUGE shrimp the specialty markets here get from time to time, the ones that weight 8 to 16 ounces each, where one shrimp fills you up.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #21
LoriABil
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review! Very informative, as we were looking at Royal and Princess as DCL alternatives. It doesn't make us want to stop considering RCI, but it makes us aware of what to expect! Especially regarding the kids club.

And for what it's worth, I have gay friends who use Queen as a term of endearment, a friend who uses it as an adjective, noun and verb (she has her Queen on tonight), and a friend (DH's friend and co-worker) who uses it in a very derogatory manner. Because of the latter, I don't use it unless I'm with my (close) friends. I have been told (by the same friends) that I looked like a Queen taking a field sobriety test when I was in running shorts, a tank and trying on a girlfriend's 4" heels. (I am 6 feet tall and have no business in heels, nor the grace to pull them off!) It was funny. I still laugh. Same friends call other straight male friends queen when they pour on the drama. But it is in good fun, never meant to offend. They also like to say some men are straight as a Queen's arrow. I don't know what that means.

That said, the people who use it negatively usually do so with such...(I'm missing the word here) venom? Anyhow, the word has such negative connotation that I think it's best to avoid it unless with friends who are ok with it. My 2 cents; nothing more.

*Meaning, take everything I say with a grain of salt and a lot of tequila

LoriABil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #22
mindy20
Mouseketeer

Just wanted you to know I (and I'm sure many others) appreciate your honest review. Im glad you told of the "queen" because I think we all get a clear picture of the queen and how the queen acts. Nothing you said was wrong or negative. We are on the Disney Boards so most of us have tried to decide before if a more reasonable cruise on another line would be as enjoyable for our family. Thank you for your fabulous review !

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 04-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #23
dunnhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
I don't think that this other ship in any way positions itself as a substitute to Disney and what they offer families. You simple were not comparing apples to apples ( in my worthless opinion)
I think you are exactly right about this! There was this one other passenger who saw me writing a ton on the end of cruise survey card and she came up to me pretty much to strike up a conversation and to ask my thoughts on the cruise because she was curious as to what I was writing. I told her pretty much what I said in this review, and she became very defensive about cruising Royal. She had gone on like 15 cruises and when I mentioned that Disney was better for families, her response was "Oh, I would NEVER cruise Disney." There was another passenger I was talking with in the baggage line and she said the same thing. Our friends think that Royal positions itself to be the "anti-Disney line." It is not as family-oriented as Disney; it may specifically not want to be as family-oriented as Disney. (that said, I thought that DCL ships actually have more adult activities like alcohol tastings and things like that - there was nothing like that on the Oasis.)

At any rate - I was just putting it out there for anyone weighing options. Just another review, just another perspective.

Leslie Ann
Me, DH, DS 12, DD 10

Resorts visited: Every WDW resort except for Coronado and Art of Animation. I am boycotting the Poly due to lack of hot tub.

Looking forward to the DVC MEMBER CRUISE on the Disney DREAM in 8/14, and a 7 day ALASKAN cruise on the Disney WONDER in June '15.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #24
Tinkerbell2B
Mouseketeer

Great review! I am contemplated Oasis or Allure, but go back to DCL. Maybe someday we will give it a try!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #25
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Under age to you is not to everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincess4ever View Post
I find it interesting that adult areas are open to ages 16 and older. I think on Disney you have to be 21 or older just to sail alone! This just makes me wonder about the underage drinking aboard royal Caribbean with teens in the night clubs.
Remember the rest of the world does not have all of our studid rules. You can be drafted and asked to die for your country age 18, but you can buy a drink legelly. I am 68 it was not this way when I was growing up.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #26
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Thanks for your honest and thoughful opinion

I can see for my grandchrildren will be 12 and 16 for the May 31, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, with their mother and papa, me, and mimi it is the way we will go.
But papa and mimi are looking at Royal and you have help me lean more in that direction.
Also looking at Royal Princess.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #27
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Great review! Has me drooling over the thought of being on that pool deck! Wonder if we could skip the shows, eat, and just hang out on the pool deck all day? Real bummer about the kids clubs though. That's a real negative. My son doesn't like organized activities so he'd probably hate the 6-8 year old group. Was it forced participation in the 9-1 year old group too?

The queen or gay spin on some of the entertainment wouldn't bother me. Live and let live. The profanity definitely would though. I wouldn't even know which shows to attend then if daytime shows aren't safe from that.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 04-17-2013 at 12:52 AM.
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #28
dunnhorn

I cannot emphasize how great the pool deck is on the Oasis. It really is fabulous. If you like to swim, you will love it. One salt water zero entry pool, a "sports" pool, a "main" pool, and a circular wave pool with clear sides and an aqua splash zone. Then, two flow riders and a basketball court and a ping pong area. If your son is tall and adventurous, he will be in hog heaven.

My 11 year old son did like the kids club... they had structured activities but he enjoyed them. At 10 p.m. every night they started a "gaga ball" tournament that is basically dodge ball from the knees down. they played that for an hour. He really enjoyed playing gaga ball. Not sure what else there was to do if you didn't want to play gaga ball. They gave out prizes and the last night of the cruise he was so proud to have won a silver medal.

Leslie Ann
Me, DH, DS 12, DD 10

Old 04-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #29
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

I can't thank you enough for posting your review. We are hoping to take our first family cruise ever this fall on DCL. But, I have been researching other lines and, obviously, the Oasis and Allure appeal to me. NOT any longer. Much of what you described would be a HUGE turnoff to me, DH and our DDs. We are a conservative Christian family and there is no way DH and I want our DDs hearing profanity on our cruise or sexual innuendos from the employees. PG-13 movies are not appropriate for our DD age 9. We have pretty high standards and like classy, respectable behavior and situations.

Sure wish there could be a pool deck swap between the two lines LOL!

Thank you again for taking the time to post. I appreciate you sharing your experience and sharing your perspective.
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #30
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

It's interesting that your review of the kids club is so different from how people are always saying how awesome the RCI kids clubs are.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: