Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Question Is splitting portions at TS as common as it seems here?

I was just curious how many of you split portions at TS restaurants? I noticed a trend on here that folks recommend splitting an entree, order an extra side or salad, that sort of thing. Or just order apps and dessert.

Has anyone encountered any resistance from a restaurant when doing that? I would assume they are getting a significantly lower bill amount from a table that splits entrees. Of course, if you get apps, drinks, dessert for everyone that would certainly even it out.

What's your experience?

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Skatermom23
DIS Veteran

I was wondering this myself! I recently lost a lot of weight and have no desire to eat a huge meal every night. I could easily have a salad and 1/4 of a TS meal and be done. We might try it once on our upcoming trip, but I think we will stick with CS and just grazing here and there. On the bright side, we should save money!
Skatermom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

We split all the time, and have never had anyone bat an eye at us. Portions are huge, and I am a slim jim... or maybe they're used to it?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't say my family splits all the time, but we do frequently split meals. I've never encountered a server that was impolite or rude about it. I say go for it!
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
I was just curious how many of you split portions at TS restaurants? . . .

1) Very common.
2) We do it all the time.
3) Maybe not at the same meal, but we frequently split
. . . appys
. . . entrées
. . . desserts *
4) There are never (at least at WDW)
. . . separate charges
. . . additional charges
. . . strange waitress looks

* On a hot day, sometimes even deserts.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
disnut8
DIS Veteran

This may shock people but my husband and I split meals all the time at non-Disney restaurants and have never been looked at like we have green faces. Chili's, Applebee's, TGI Friday's, Tilted Kilt, etc. We do it all the time. Sometimes we even *gasp* just get an appetizer and share that.

Restaurants want you in there and then want you to come back so having a bad server just because you didn't order $100 worth of food ain't going to accomplish that.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
DISzy
Mouseketeer

I think the only exception is if you are on the dining plan. Not 100% sure, but seems like I read somewhere that you can't split meals at TS if using dining credits. Or you can, but will still be charged dining credit per person. Is that right?
DISzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
bradleyjess
Mouseketeer

DF and I also split meals! There's just no sense in eating as much food as Disney gives you!

My resort history: BoardWalk Villas, Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo and Kidani, Saratoga Springs, Port Orleans Riverside, WDW Dolphin, Yacht Club, Contemporary and Coronado Springs.
bradleyjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

My family splits meals frequently. We are a family of 5 and my 14 yo and 11 yo have been considered "adults" for a few years now. 4 adult sized entrees and desserts plus 1 child entree and dessert are more often than not too much food for us.

We often split and use 3 adult credits and 1 child credit or just 3 adult credits. I have never gotten a funny look or had any issue. The wait staff will sometimes pause about our drink orders because if we order 5 sodas, there is a charge for one or more of them. I don't care about the extra charge but I guess they want to make sure I know.

There are some restaurants that don't allow splitting. Via Napoli is one of them. We had split there once in the past but knew going in on the last two trips that we wouldn't be allowed to. There may be others as well. Obviously you can't split at buffets or any type of all you can eat place.

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
basketlacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for this info! It is great to know. For our next trip, the only meals that we were hoping to split were entrees at Raglan Road. It is way too much food to each have an entree and then the bread pudding. We figure if we split an entree, we can each get our own bread pudding. Of course we will pay for 1 dessert OOP.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

We often split.
Never a problem.
Sometimes we will just order one or two appetizers instead.

Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

Unless it is a buffet or AYCTE, we either split an app, entree & dessert or order a few apps and a dessert to share.

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
smcabee
Boomer Sooner

DW and I Always split appys. We rarely split entrees unless its something huge like a big steak etc. We dont do dessert so usually the appy share and the entree is plenty to fill us up.
smcabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

We generally order an app to share with the table. Everyone orders their own entree usually. Mostly because we all want different things. I have no issues splitting with DS, DD, or DH. I also have no issues with only eating what I can/want to and leaving the rest. Their portions are way too big but I refuse to not order what I want on vacation because the restaurant doesn't understand portion size. I can control how much I eat though.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
mb_uh
DIS Veteran

We split all the time at DW and everywhere. We have 3 kids with adult tastes but tiny appetites and it makes sense. We rarely order more than 3 meals, may have apps- everyone except oldest ds love salad and usually 2 desserts, if on ddp we order more but usually still split at some places and do shows or 2 credit meals.
mb_uh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: