Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #31
ludari
DIS Veteran

I keep a cruise packing list so those items I will not need I pack a week or so before but I usually finish packing a few days before my scheduled depature.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #32
mommy2tati
DIS Veteran

The day before our flight...always.

April 2009 - Disney Wonder
August 2011 - Disney Dream
February 2012 - Disney Dream
August 2012 - Disney Magic
August 2013 - Disney Fantasy Eastern
mommy2tati is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #33
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandrananette View Post
I try to start a week out for clothes but because of work I find myself packing at midnight the night before for 90% of my vacations. Best laid plans.

I do keep a folder of needed documents-passports, tickets, etc for all vacations so I can grab it and have all our travel plans. Works awesome until you forget that folder-I managed to leave it on the counter with our Halloween party tickets for Disneyland one year. Realized it half way to the airport and had to race home to get it. We made our flight by some miracle, though. That's a mistake I probably won't make again. Next cruise is 7 days and the first vacation with two kids. I have high hopes of packing earlier than the night before we leave this time!
I like how you say probably - you're keeping your options open lol!

****** DL Feb/02, DL Feb/07, WDW Nov/13, DCL Nov/13 ******
Next trip WDW October 2015 TOT10 mile here I come!
dizzyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #34
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

I'm usually a last minute night before kind of packer which is surprising since I don't cruise until November and I have everything else planned already including the 6 days in Orlando before the cruise! I'm actually bummed because I have nothing to plan so maybe I'll start a packing list

****** DL Feb/02, DL Feb/07, WDW Nov/13, DCL Nov/13 ******
Next trip WDW October 2015 TOT10 mile here I come!
dizzyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 AM   #35
omalley1118
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDennis28 View Post
I dream of packing early. I put my open suitcase on a spare bed and throw a few things in. Usually it ends up being last minute. The latest I have been was staying up all night to pack and leave at 4 am for a 6 am flight. My DH waited in the warm car with the motor running as I scurried around trying to finish! Going to try and Not repeat that scenario again...a little too stressful!
Wow! Just reading that made me stressed....LOL!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #36
I heart d1sney
Earning My Ears

My cruise is in 60 days and I've been creating my packing list for about 2 months now. I've already packed the important things that I won't need (passports). I like to be prepared, and hate forgetting things!!
I heart d1sney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #37
PrettyPrincessJen
AKA "MomBomb"

I pack along the way. I made a list two years ago and have been buying/gathering items all along. This kept my mind busy and our costs spread out. We needed big items like 5 passports, luggage rack/luggage trailer etc. (we drive not fly). We keep a "cruise bag" that items are placed in. Starting three weeks before the trip (next week for us) we will wash clothes like crazy to make sure all laundry is caught up so we have the most options available for our trip. T - two weeks we make a list of items needed and days we will be gone. We also list special items like water shoes or pirate costumes.(Continue clothes washing/cleaning up house to make sure we leave a clean house). At the one week mark we lay out the suit cases in a large line and pack a person a day (there are 5 of us). We then pack carryon bags. Finally we make a list of last minute items that can not be packed until it is time to go.
I must say though I have been having nightmares about leaving our passports and my camera by mistake with no one to send them to us. I will be riding out the driveway with my items in hand, because at the end of the day only the documents are necessary everything else is gravy!!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #38
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
I would like to know the average time that people start packing. We're at T-minus 22 days and I started packing weeks ago. Let me clarify. When we got our cruise documents, they went in my carry on along with other important paperwork (DCL online form, hotel reservation, passports, dog immunization records for boarding, etc...). Basically, I pack something when I think about it, so that I won't be trying to remember everything that I need the morning that we leave. Over the next 3 weeks, I will pack anything that I won't need/wear before we cruise. Anything that is for "cruise only" will go in immediately. The reason that I do this is because it's a lot less stressful, and I get little bursts of excitement every few days. Also, if i realize that my suitcase is too full or too big, I can change/buy bags before the last minute. Now, my wife is different. I LOVE her to death, BUT she will wait until she is forced to pack. We leave on a Friday, she will be finished packing on .......Friday. I will make sure that I, and our son are ready to go no later than Wednesday. I will also try to encourage her to not wait, but I'm not to optimistic. So, are you more like me or my DW? When do you start packing?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I always have a bag/box set aside for cruise things. As I acquire them during the year - I throw them in. I also have a list of what goes on the cruise -- it's gotten pretty standard over the years. For my first cruise, I was literally totally packed about two months in advance - but that was in March and no one needed their summer clothes. Now that we usually go later in the year, I can't be so diligent.

Toiletries get packed first as we don't miss them. Cruise specific stuff is next. For clothes, everyone gets a list emailed to them - if they follow it, they'll have everything - if they don't - they won't.

I make sure to pack some of everyone's clothes in each suitcase in case any suitcases get lost - that way everyone has some clothes. I started something new last year on the advice of a neighbor. Everyone's clothes get neatly stacked and put into ziploc bags which I squeeze the air out of. It's very easy to unpack quickly and nothing is wrinkled. It also helps avoid the dreaded 'storm damage.' One year during a terrible downpour, SW left all of our suitcases out while waiting for the plane. When we got home, everything - I mean every single thing - was soaking.

The final touches (chargers, documents, etc) get added a couple days before.

Good luck on your packing!
ranidayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #39
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I bring my hardshell suitcase up the month before, and randomly throw things on top of it/in it as I remember to. That way, I don't forget the random stuff and it gives me an idea of how much space I have/need.

About a week before I make a list and start packing "for real." Throughout the years I've been emailing my list to myself, so it's convenient b/c I can see what season I cruised in, stuff I needed for the kids depending on how old they were, and it makes me remember what I brought before but didn't need.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #40
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer

I started Sunday for my cruise this saturday, although we leave friday because we are hitting up DW for a day first (avoid flying the day of the cruise).

Honestly I would not have packed until thursday night, but I have to figure out how to fit in 120 FE gifts into my bags with my clothes.
TiggerBouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #41
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceressk View Post
And if u forget something--so what? It's a Disney cruise-who cares!?!?
This is my other important point.

If I forget entertainment - it's a Disney cruise. LITERALLY. They live to entertain you. You pretty much don't need it.

Everything else? They sell it on board. If I am short a few pairs of clothes, I can wash them or just buy more. It's not like you can have too many disney shirts.

The only things that I really CAN'T forget are my medications and my passport.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #42
allroy81
Earning My Ears

We start packing tomorrow, leaving on Sunday! Woo hoo!
allroy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #43
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

A few years ago I had a job that kept me on the road 47 weeks a year with stops back home on the weekend. I have packing down to a science. I can pack for myself and son in about 2 hours regardless of duration or destination. So I start the morning of the day before we leave just to allow for a last minute load of laundry or quick trip to Walgreens.

It takes my husband HOURSSSSSS...while I look on. I don't understand all the indecision. It's a 10 day trip, grab 12 pair of underwear, move on to shirts, grab 10 T-shirts, 5 nicer polos, 1 dress shirt, move on to pants. In the 30 seconds I typed that I could have had half of it out of the closet. He on the other hand would have noticed a stray string on a winter sweater hanging in the closet and gone in search of scissors to fix it even though we are not packing winter clothes and the sweater in question hasnt fit him in 5 years. He has situational (normal trip packing) attention deficit disorder. For better or worse I murmur repeatedly under my breath.
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #44
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotomu212 View Post
I have packing down to a science. I can pack for myself and son in about 2 hours regardless of duration or destination.
Sounds like a game! Name the destination and duration and indicate your pack list in under 5 minutes!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: