Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

Not Me!

Well, I just wouldn't be able to stand it! I just couldn't come all that way without going to at least Magic Kingdom! LOL! I may feel different if I lived in Florida. I guess thats like we go to Pigeon Forge and we may not go to Dollywood or Great Smokey Mountains National Park.
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #17
FredEthelsMom
Fred & Ethel

JSYK, Dry Camping means that you are camping without any hookups - no electricity, water, cable, sewer, etc.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #18
Byrnes
Earning My Ears

We have 3 kids (16, 13 and 10) and usually don't go to the parks. There is so much do without going to the parks. We go DT, waterparks, visit other resorts, ride the monorail, boat rides, ride bikes, campfire sing-a-long, movie, pool activities, golf cart, ride the loops at night and look at the decorations, and the list goes on. But with that said, we are usually there 2-3 times a year and my kids are very familiar with the parks.

Last edited by Byrnes; 04-07-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: add information
Byrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #19
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

If you think the kids will be too disappointed to visit Disney without going to the parks, you might want to consider a 1 day ticket with WPF&M added on. You get 2 WPF&M entries so you'd have 3 days worth of activities. Go to MK for a day and then you have 2 entries to go to a water park or DQ for a day. A 1 day MYW ticket with WPF&M is cheaper then a 2 day ticket.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #20
MackenzieFL
Mouseketeer

We usually try to have APs, but even if we don't we go to tent camp at the Ft. for a couple of days here and there when we can go. Luxury camping!

We used to go rough it with the kids when we lived in NYC because NY State was so beautiful.

But then we moved to FL and I just can't rough it in a state park anymore-- the climate, the wild life, just not comfortable for me. We'd go to like KOAs but frankly they got really expensive... so if we're going to shell that out we might as well go camp in style at Disney.

Also I've had some health issues that make it harder. Being able to buy meals (instead of open fire cooking) & having a nice comfort station make it doable.

Between the pools, the movie at night, the campfire w/Chip & Dale, the free stuff like visiting other resorts or DTD, going somewhere to watch fireworks, etc... there is plenty to keep occupied and still relax.

MackenzieFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #21
sweet maxine
DIS Veteran

I would love to do just this, but I think on our trip coming up, we'll most likely hit the parks for a day or two. The rest of the time, I'd like to hang out at the Fort and sit on the porch or lounge on the beach and watch the water parade at night.
sweet maxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #22
mh1973
DIS Veteran

We're considering this for our summer trip this year. We have been to Disney probably 7 times in the last two years, so we are considering taking the 5th wheel, doing Universal and maybe the Disney water parks and then a few days to relax at the campground.
mh1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #23
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Bell View Post
Well, I just wouldn't be able to stand it! I just couldn't come all that way without going to at least Magic Kingdom! LOL! I may feel different if I lived in Florida. I guess thats like we go to Pigeon Forge and we may not go to Dollywood or Great Smokey Mountains National Park.
Ditto! We could not do it either! We could not drive this far just to stay in cc - even one we like as much as this one (here now).
Love Elkmont cc in the Smokies also - in the park.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #24
ezmom
Earning My Ears

No Parks for us!

Hi, my family camped this past June and February without doing the parks.
My kids are 7&11 and they LOVE just hanging out at Fort Wilderness and the Disney area. We even extended our June vacation by 2 more days we were having so much fun. We ride bikes, walk, swim, watch the movies. Yes we can do all that at a campground but its something about being in the Disney magic that makes us not feel like we have to do the parks. Plus the fact that it isn't in the budget teaches my kids that if we don't have the money we don't have the money and can't do it but we can still have an amazing time at Disney.
You can create your own memories!! Enjoy with what ever decision you make!
ezmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #25
RoyalBlunders
Always a Princess but by no means Perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Ditto! We could not do it either! We could not drive this far just to stay in cc - even one we like as much as this one (here now).
Love Elkmont cc in the Smokies also - in the park.
Same here! I am always a little envious though of people who know how to slow down while visiting WDW. We run from Morning to Night. I can't stand the thought of not getting in as much time as possible at the parks lol. I am going to try very hard to have some down time this year though. A few days of just resort time (but we will be there for an extended time since we are working a conference during our stay). I figure maybe 2-3 days through out our trip we will just do the Fort, boardwalk and DTD and the rest of the days at the parks. It helps that we are going with a lot of extended family this time who are not as in LOVE with the parks as we are so we may be forced to slow down

It really is a personal choice like so many have said. I have no doubt that you wouldn't have plenty to do, but as a mom of 4 I would say it's more of making it clear before you get there that parks isn't one of them

Congrats on the Rig!
Jan.2007-Pop Century * Sept.2008-All Star Music * Aug.2009-Off Site * Feb.2010-Saratoga Springs * Jan.2011-Disneyland * July 2011-Disneyland * Dec.2011-POR!! First time for the Holidays!!! * Aug 2012 Fort Wilderness Campsites-First time RV!
RoyalBlunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #26
MyHappiestPlace
Mouseketeer

Location: Hop, skip and jump from The Happiest Place on Earth

I'm taking the kids to the Fort cabins for Memorial Day w/e. Have no plans to visit the parks. We will fill our days with horseback riding, archery, swimming in the pools, watching the fireworks at lakefront and a nature walk or two. My kids would love at the Fort if they could.
MyHappiestPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #27
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

We are going to meeting family down there and doing that next weekend. I am so excited!! We are just going to be staying at the Fort and relaxing. I was having Disney withdrawls, having went over spring break. Can't wait to go back next weekend and enjoy relaxing. We aren't doing any parks just the hanging out!!!

medhdd7ds16 dd19

http://www.pinterest.com/tcherjen/
tcherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #28
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

Just got back from the Cabins at FTW and we only went to the parks ONE day out of the week!

We went to LegoLand as has been suggested and we loved it and we went to MK, but we spent the rest of the trip relaxing at the pools and enjoying FTW! We love it there!

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #29
bigdisneydaddy
wife, kids, camper, beer, tickets. everything else is extras.
Has highly placed influential friends at FW

We spent 18 days at the Fort in late Jan/ early Feb and only went one day to the Animal kingdom. Just getting out of the cold and snow and being able to spend time outside was enough for me.
bigdisneydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #30
nabi
Home at Disney often!

Depending on age of the kids, you can do Disney, sans parks, and they wuldn't realize it. There's Downtown Disney, where a lot of Disney surrounds you (even some rides)! Charcter meals give them the dose of real interactions. Decor during holiday seasons is full of familiar themes. This is dependent upon age though, if they get it that you didn't actually go to parks.
nabi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: