Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
I think you're asking the wrong bunch of people to walk you off the ledge

Haha..
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
The Poly is definitely an amazing resort and we love it . There's always a reason to add another night or book a certain resort when it comes to Disney .

Thanks again!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #18
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara61 View Post
Well, I'm in agreement stay longer if you can swing it! Did you by chance make sure that the portion of your stay that you are getting the dining plan is actually a good value for you? Because if you didn't look at the menus, run the costs and truly see. Perhaps you could save some $ there and that would offset the room cost Gotta love Disney math

We did the Dining plan in 2011 and while free (we stayed at POFQ) I did bump my then 8 year old up to adult (he has a mature palette and large appetite, lol). Last year we paid out of pocket because it actually was a bit cheaper (I did have a Tables in Wonderland card but it really just covered the tip) It's going to be close this year even though I was going to cut back on TS (HA HA HA, not sure who I was kidding, we have one each day still). Either way it should be c. $150 cheaper for us NOT to do the dining plan. Plus I've been buying up Disney gift cards for our food and beverage budget.
I appreciate your feedback!

I have ran the #'s I would say 30+ times, and the Dining plan does work best for us in the first 5 nights due to the many TS (Character Meals) I have planned. I have 1 every day, and some days 2, but a few we are paing OOP like T-Rex and Sci-Fi, and then our 4 nights at the Poly I have 2 that we are paying OOP for as well.

We were originally doing 4 nights AKL and 5 nights Poly, but I trimmed it down a bit, and switched to 5 nights AKL/4 nights Poly. My kids love animals, so win win. I also had the dining plan the 4 nights at the Poly, but then that meant I had to buy a 1 day ticket which ran even more $$ and after running numbers, I saved hundreds of dollars by paying OOP for the Poly duration, and eliminating the 1 day ticket, and adding an extra day on our ticket package in the first portion of the stay.

When I statred planning this trip (many months ago) I never thought it would be so hard, but at the same time, so fun!!!!

Thanks for your help
Old 04-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #19
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
I'm going to be in the minority and say that I would not add an extra $500 to my trip to stay another day. We get tired of being in hotels, tired of eating at restaurants and tired of Disney after a week. I would go off to the condo and enjoy the beach.
I do have to agree with you in regards to the food part. It does get very old always eating the same kind of food, and then you crave a home cooked meal!
Our family does love staying In hotels though. The kids never want to leave

The nice thing about the condo on the beach is that its a 2 bedroom with a full kitchen, washer/dryer etc, so we have the comforts of home, and being able to cook which we will do!

You made some very good points, and I appreciate it! I know my DH would be with you on this one..its hard for me to really know how we will feel when this is our 1st trip to Disney as a family.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #20
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigrLvsPooh View Post
You sound like me! I'm always trying to figure out how to add a day or stretch the vacation as far as we can. I'd love to add to our next one but my oldest DS is starting summer school so we have to get back home. Have a great trip! We did a WDW/Treasure Island beach split once, it was super fun!
Haha..good to know I'm not the only one!!

That's awesome you did Treasure Island as well! Where did you stay? Did you have fun? Honestly, I'm so looking forward to the relaxing atmosphere of a week at the beach, but I'm worried after 10 days at Disney in the beginning, my boys will won't know what to do with themselves..its 2 totally different vacations in 1!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
amccu18007
DIS Veteran

I actually think that I wouldn't stay the extra day. If you leave at night, get to the beach, everyone has a good night and then you can start the next leg of your vacation. You could do a lot with that $350 on the rest of the vacation. And in reality, swimming is swimming no matter where your kids are! I love Disney as much as the rest but I just don't think that it is worth it in your situation. Good luck in whatever you decide and have a wonderful trip
March 11-19, 2009 CSR,March 10-18, 2010 POLY March 2-10,2011 BEACH CLUB, October 23-29,2011 BEACH CLUB March 13-22,2012 Offsite, October 3-6 2012 YACHT CLUB- Presidential suite!!! Whoo-hoo!! October 1-8 2013 POR (First trip for my parents!)June 23-27, 2014 CONTEMPORARY, Oct 17-24, 2014 YACHT CLUB

amccu18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #22
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjen27 View Post

When in doubt, ADD!!

Here is how I look at it: I would hate to be looking around somewhere else on Saturday and say to myself "I could be riding XXXXX right now" and know that you opted out.

Rather be at Disney than be with regret.

At the same time, user be warned: Longer trips aren't always better. We did a 9 night/10 day trip on our first go-round, and we were so beat up at the end of it, my kids were looking forward to going home. We didn't go commando, we went slow and easy, and we were still exhausted. Some people say they feel beat up no matter how long or short their trip is though, so maybe it's not a function of time as much as it is the Disney way.

This year I kept our trip down to 7 nights, as tempting as it was to keep adding, I forced myself to do a tad shorter and see how that feels.
Great points! This is why I love this board!

You are so right!! We just got back from 3 days at Great Wolf Lodge, and we were tired from just 3 days..lol..it was busy Although, we were going to stay at 3rd night, but the hotel was full

9 nights/10 days is a lot, and is a very good amount of time to spend at Disney. I do know we won't get everything in on this 1st trip, but I'm fine with that! We will be back again in a few years.

I have only planned 5 days as "park days" We did end up getting Park Hoppers, and we got the Water Park and more option, so we also plan on doing a water park or 2 as well.

I want some "down days" to spend at the resort, swim, relax, enjoy AKL and the Poly. We also hope to do a minature golf, and DTD.

We are also doing MNSSHP and a Pirate Cruise.

It is a full agenda, but we are all very excited!!!

Thanks for your helpful advice
Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #23
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amccu18007 View Post
I actually think that I wouldn't stay the extra day. If you leave at night, get to the beach, everyone has a good night and then you can start the next leg of your vacation. You could do a lot with that $350 on the rest of the vacation. And in reality, swimming is swimming no matter where your kids are! I love Disney as much as the rest but I just don't think that it is worth it in your situation. Good luck in whatever you decide and have a wonderful trip
Thanks!

That was my thought initially, but then the more I thought the more ideas kept popping in my head. I need to stop thinking so much hence why I am now torn on whether to stay the Sat night as well.
I think planning so much so far in advance is really hard, harder then I realized!
You and everyone else have made some very valid points, and I have a decision to make.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #24
delgrec
Mouseketeer

With all of these flight changes, aren't you incurring change fees that would add to your cost? Just curious.
delgrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #25
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgrec View Post
With all of these flight changes, aren't you incurring change fees that would add to your cost? Just curious.
Nope, that's the beauty flying with Southwest. They don't charge you to make changes. I always try to fly Southwest if I can
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #26
delgrec
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinkerfrosch View Post

Nope, that's the beauty flying with Southwest. They don't charge you to make changes. I always try to fly Southwest if I can
Wow. Interesting! We tend to fly united. Good to know.
delgrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #27
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgrec View Post
Wow. Interesting! We tend to fly united. Good to know.
Yes, its great, and comes in very handy
Old 04-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #28
Main Street Matilda
Mouseketeer

I've never stayed at the Poly, but we find an excuse nearly every trip to eat breakfast or dinner there and spend extra time hanging out by the pool, etc. Even if money wasn't the issue, I find that having relaxing days at the resort are sometimes the best part of the trip. By spending that extra day, that would allow the extra time.

1985- Off Property
1986 - Off Property
2002 - Yacht Club
2004 - Off Property (Vistana Village)
2006 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
2007 - Saratoga Springs
2009 - Kidani Village
2010 - Fort Wilderness
2011 - Bay Lake Towers
2013 - Fort Wilderness and Old Key West
2014 - 7-day Disney Cruise!
Main Street Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #29
forever11709
Mouseketeer

I'm right there with you! Same days and everything! Currently we are booked at YC the 19th-26th but flights are WAY cheaper if we fly out Friday night which would give us ALL of Saturday in Disney, then I also saw that flights for the 27th coming home are cheaper! Which would in turn add another day! We would do a split stay with AoA and YC(hopefully someone at BC cancels and we can move) The night of the 18th and 19th at AoA and 20th-27th at YC/BC. I just need to get the rest of my party on board! My mom is paying for me, DD and her and then it's my BFF and her mom, and another mom and daughter! We are getting APs so adding AoA only adds 313 to our overall cost for 2 more days!

Mommy Molly & Daddy (will I ever get him to go HOME with me?)

Molly's Trips -- July 2011 Beach Club October 2012 Beach Club October 2013 Yacht Club -- Will this child ever stay in a non-deluxe?!?!?!
forever11709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #30
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever11709 View Post
I'm right there with you! Same days and everything! Currently we are booked at YC the 19th-26th but flights are WAY cheaper if we fly out Friday night which would give us ALL of Saturday in Disney, then I also saw that flights for the 27th coming home are cheaper! Which would in turn add another day! We would do a split stay with AoA and YC(hopefully someone at BC cancels and we can move) The night of the 18th and 19th at AoA and 20th-27th at YC/BC. I just need to get the rest of my party on board! My mom is paying for me, DD and her and then it's my BFF and her mom, and another mom and daughter! We are getting APs so adding AoA only adds 313 to our overall cost for 2 more days!
Wow! That's awesome!! I actually checked out the BC as well, but they were booked.
Sounds like you have a magical vacation planned, and maybe I will see you there!! (If I knew what you looked like..haha)
Thanks for your input! So much planning..never enough time....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: