Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
purplecrush
Mouseketeer

Talking The Redwoods

This year, we are FINALLY making it to the Redwoods! We always "Plan" on seeing it on the way back from Disneyland, but we are so tired and exhasted, we never make it. This year we are hitting the Redwoods first!!

My question is, what are the MUST sees....and are they on all on Hwy 101.

Thank you so much!!!

purplecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
bcla
DIS Veteran

It might help to be more specific about what you're trying to see. You capitalized "Redwoods" as if you're talking about a specific place, but didn't indicate exactly what you're looking to see.

Are you looking for any place with coast redwoods? They range down the coast from southern Oregon to just about the Santa Cruz area. Maybe you meant Redwood National and State Parks? Up along the coast from Mendocino and Humboldt Counties are where you'll typically find the largest trees. There is a heavily visited place in the San Francisco Bay (Muir Woods National Monument) that is generally convenient.

I'd personally recommend the area around Santa Cruz - specifically Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park. There's a private attraction nearby where you can take a narrow-gauge train through a private stand of redwoods.

http://www.roaringcamp.com/

bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
purplecrush
Mouseketeer

Sorry to be so vague. I know we want to see the Chandelier drive through tree, thats on Hwy 101. I want to stay on/around 101, not venture too far. We are driving from Portland, OR. We only have a few hours to visit this area. Other than that drive through tree, not sure what we want to do. Maybe a few short hikes. My son (16) loves the outdoors, so we are really doing this for him.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecrush View Post
Sorry to be so vague. I know we want to see the Chandelier drive through tree, thats on Hwy 101. I want to stay on/around 101, not venture too far. We are driving from Portland, OR. We only have a few hours to visit this area. Other than that drive through tree, not sure what we want to do. Maybe a few short hikes. My son (16) loves the outdoors, so we are really doing this for him.
101 is generally kind of slow through the area - especially Willits. It's no longer a freeway for a stretch of about 100 miles. Obviously I-5 is the fastest way to get to Portland, but 101 can be interesting.

You best bet would probably be to go that way and maybe drive up to Redwood National Park after going through the drive through tree. There are several areas that would be close to 101, but Lady Bird Johnson Grove is pretty convenient and about a 1 mile loop.

http://www.nps.gov/redw/planyourvisi...ails-south.htm
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I love the red woods!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
Purrkins
Mouseketeer

Another lovely place, north of San Francisco is Montgomery Woods State Reserve - a lovely walk through a redwood grove and fern grotto.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=434

This about 15 miles off the 101 near the town of Ukiah and is sublime.
Purrkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
purplecrush
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the ideas

We are leaving our house in Portland, OR at 3am and heading down 1-5 then cutting over to 101 through Grants Pass. So, we will get there around 8 am. I would only like to spend a few hours there, before we head on down to San Francisco ( then Disneyland!!)

I was thinking about the Trees of Mystery,Avenue of the Giants and the Chandelier drive through tree. When I look up "Redwoods" thats what I keep hearing about.

Anything else, touristy?

Old 04-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
Stitch35
Mouseketeer

We went that route last year, but spent 2 days in crescent city and a third driving through the rest of the redwoods. Trees of Mystery were very cool. We did the drive through tree, but it wasn't as big of a thrill. The Cathedral Trees are a very short hike and beautiful. My kids really liked the tide pool walk, but it takes about 2 hours and you have to be there for low tide. We did like seeing the Elk in the valley on our drive down to Santa Cruz.
Stitch35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: