Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #76
disneytheway
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baleeve View Post
Hello,

We will be on this cruise and I have 2 boys also. They are 10 and 8. (Close to your boys ages).

It's our first cruise and although I told them I was looking into booking a cruise, I haven't told them its BOOKED.

I would love to hear how you plan to surprise your boys.
Hi - usually we go to Disney at the end of August and we always plan to do something different, and this time its the cruise. We haven't thought how the surprise will go yet, but i guess they will be surprised by just driving to the port and come to realize what is about to happen once they"ll see the beautiful ship.
I am thinking about "when time comes" to sign them up to the kids club, are you thinking of doing that too?
I am very sure the kids will have a blast making new friends and us (mom and dad) are looking forward to that too. By the way we are having last dinner.

(me) :DH DS (9) DS (7)
disneytheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #77
kristie03
Mouseketeer

FE questions

Hi all -

I'm so excited to be on this cruise too. I was just reading some of the posts with FE questions and I thought I would try to help.

Feel free to ask any questions about it on the board or private message me.

Basically the FE is a gift exchange onboard that people sign up for prior to their cruise through the meet thread (since you are already here you are on the right track!) Usually what happens in the thread is someone volunteers to coordinate the FE for the sailing and you send them your basic info. This person then keeps the master list and sets the cutoff date for the last date you are able to sign up for the sailings.

In our cruises case "MyCathryn" has taken this on and this is a copy/paste from her earlier post on how to sign up:

I started a closed FB page. If you want to join please feel free... http://www.facebook.com/groups/488555754542262/.

I dont think a FE group has officially started yet either. If you are interested in participating, please email me at CathrynsCloset@aol.com.
Please send the following information that will be shared with everyone participating as we get closer to the cruse...
Name
DisName
Cabin Number
Age/Genders of the kids going
Which Dinner seating you were assigned
Favorite Characters
Allergies
Special Needs/Special Event you are celebrating
Would you like to participate in an on-board meetup?

The final date to participate is July 25th. I would need all the info in by then so it can be distributed and the magic can begin!!

As far as your actual FE (fish extender....gets its name becuase it hangs from the fish shaped clip outside your stateroom door). You can either make one or order them on etsy, ebay or other places online. Do a quick google search for fish extender and you will find them! There are also threads with all this information and how to make FE's (along with their maximum dimensions) on the boards here.

For the gifts, this is really where it is up to you as the gift giver. Some people give gifts to each cabin on the list, some people give gifts to each person in each cabin, depending on their ages. Some people make gifts, some people buy gifts. Some people put their gifts in bags with tags who they came from, some are anonymous. Some gifts have significance to the hometown of the giver, some do not. Some people give gifts multiple times during the cruise, some do it one time per trip.

My best advice is to give what you are comfortable with, any gift is appreciated! Part of the fun for our family is just coming back to the room and seeing what is in our FE...

I hope this all helps, but like I said, message me if it doesn't. Also there are lots of FE specific threads, so there is no shortage of ideas and info!

DL - Apr. 1992/Off Property - May 1996/Caribbean Beach - Nov. 1997, Feb. 2004, May 2006/Port Orleans Riverside - Apr. 2009, Jan. 2010/SSR - Mar 2010, Jan 2011, Feb 2012/BLT - Jul. 2010, Nov. 2010, June 2011, June 2012/AKV Jambo - Apr. 2011/Beach Club - Oct 2011/BWV - Sept 2012//BCV - Dec 2012/Disney Dream - Nov. 2011, Jan 2013, Aug 2013/Disney Fantasty - Mar. 2012 (MV)/Disney Magic - Jul. 2012
kristie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #78
DisneyManFamily4
Mouseketeer

Unfortunately, our plans have had to change, so we won't be on this leg of our Back to Back cruise. I'm sure you will all have a great time!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #79
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie03 View Post
Hi all -

I'm so excited to be on this cruise too. I was just reading some of the posts with FE questions and I thought I would try to help.

Basically the FE is a gift exchange onboard that people sign up for prior to their cruise through the meet thread (since you are already here you are on the right track!) Usually what happens in the thread is someone volunteers to coordinate the FE for the sailing and you send them your basic info. This person then keeps the master list and sets the cutoff date for the last date you are able to sign up for the sailings.

In our cruises case "MyCathryn" has taken this on and this is a copy/paste from her earlier post on how to sign up:

I started a closed FB page. If you want to join please feel free... http://www.facebook.com/groups/488555754542262/.

I dont think a FE group has officially started yet either. If you are interested in participating, please email me at CathrynsCloset@aol.com.
Please send the following information that will be shared with everyone participating as we get closer to the cruse...
Name
DisName
Cabin Number
Favorite Characters
Allergies

The final date to participate is July 25th. I would need all the info in by then so it can be distributed and the magic can begin!!

As far as your actual FE (fish extender....gets its name becuase it hangs from the fish shaped clip outside your stateroom door). You can either make one or order them on etsy, ebay or other places online. Do a quick google search for fish extender and you will find them! There are also threads with all this information and how to make FE's (along with their maximum dimensions) on the boards here.

For the gifts, this is really where it is up to you as the gift giver. Some people give gifts to each cabin on the list, some people give gifts to each person in each cabin, depending on their ages. Some people make gifts, some people buy gifts. Some people put their gifts in bags with tags who they came from, some are anonymous. Some gifts have significance to the hometown of the giver, some do not. Some people give gifts multiple times during the cruise, some do it one time per trip.

My best advice is to give what you are comfortable with, any gift is appreciated! Part of the fun for our family is just coming back to the room and seeing what is in our FE...

I hope this all helps, but like I said, message me if it doesn't. Also there are lots of FE specific threads, so there is no shortage of ideas and info!

Hi Kristie,

I sent your an email with the above requested info. Like I said, if I can help - let me know.

Have a magical day!

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #80
baleeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneytheway View Post
Hi - usually we go to Disney at the end of August and we always plan to do something different, and this time its the cruise. We haven't thought how the surprise will go yet, but i guess they will be surprised by just driving to the port and come to realize what is about to happen once they"ll see the beautiful ship.
I am thinking about "when time comes" to sign them up to the kids club, are you thinking of doing that too?
I am very sure the kids will have a blast making new friends and us (mom and dad) are looking forward to that too. By the way we are having last dinner.
My boys found the DCL brochure and now know we are going. So no surprise here. But honestly, I don't think I could have kept it secret because I'm busting at the seams excited!

We always do something the last week of August too, however it started as a way to celebrate my remission anniversary. I'll be 4 years this August - surviving Stage IV head and neck cancer. My boys and I have been through the ringer and as a way to appreciate how far we have come we decided to mark the date with celebrations. And this is our biggest celebration yet!!!

Yes I am going to sign them up for the clubs. They enjoyed the Neverland Club at the Polynesian when we last went to Disney so I think they will enjoy it. I'll give them sign in and sign out privileges but under strict conditions and rules. They are very trustworthy and we will go over the drill before the cruise.

Looking forward to hearing about how you reveal the surprise and hope that our kiddos can meet in the clubs.

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #81
baleeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.diss@btinternet. View Post
The Fe's sound fun? But is it more for little ones ? my DD's are in their teens ?
Just started thinking about port excursions and wondered if anybody had done or was considering doing one in Nassau ? I was looking at another thread and lots of people seem to stay onboard but I think it would be nice to have an explore just don't know what ?
Hi Sam.diss

I am thinking we (me and 2 boys) will do the Blue Lagoon adventure. I thought I would stay on the ship but then figured I better take advantage of the Bahamas as much as I can.

I've heard that cruisers need to be cautious in Nassau so I am heading the advice and staying with a DCL adventure. Many caution not to just get off the ship and wander so I would say that you may want to do some research yourself.

Happy planning.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #82
disneytheway
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baleeve View Post
My boys found the DCL brochure and now know we are going. So no surprise here. But honestly, I don't think I could have kept it secret because I'm busting at the seams excited!

We always do something the last week of August too, however it started as a way to celebrate my remission anniversary. I'll be 4 years this August - surviving Stage IV head and neck cancer. My boys and I have been through the ringer and as a way to appreciate how far we have come we decided to mark the date with celebrations. And this is our biggest celebration yet!!!

Yes I am going to sign them up for the clubs. They enjoyed the Neverland Club at the Polynesian when we last went to Disney so I think they will enjoy it. I'll give them sign in and sign out privileges but under strict conditions and rules. They are very trustworthy and we will go over the drill before the cruise.

Looking forward to hearing about how you reveal the surprise and hope that our kiddos can meet in the clubs.
Hello Balleve,
I wish you continuos blessings in your life and for sure we'll make one of the most beautiful experience
I have been thinking of how to surprise the boys and i am kind of thinking of asking a help from a cast member since we are staying the night before the cruise in OKW (something like a letter being given to them or a phone call) my husband is not very enthusiastic about it because he said i'll put too much time into it and blablabla... but my mind is set now i have to make it happen any ideas are welcome.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #83
disneytheway
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie03 View Post
Hi all -

Name
DisName
Cabin Number
Favorite Characters
Allergies

Hi Kristie,
Just saw your post and was wondering if there is any other way to stay up to date with the FE since i dont have a face book page, maybe we can do PM???
let me know. How many families are already signed up???

Old 05-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #84
NovaDog
Earning My Ears

I'm onboard!

Just discovered this group, can't wait for the cruise! It will be our second, following last June's trip on the Magic from NYC to Canada.

Our crew includes two birthday girls, as my wife and oldest daughter (6) are both celebrating on August 28. We'll also have our 4-year old daughter and 2-year old son. We might also have 2 grandparents coming, although they are still up in the air.

I just joined the Facebook group and the FE.

One other idea I'll throw out - on our cruise last June, a bunch of us that met up on Facebook ended up booking the private room at Palo's for brunch. You need at least 12 people, but there is no extra charge beyond the normal Palo's charge. It was a great way to meet up with everyone and a nice way to get a Palo's reservation (which can be difficult!). Anyone interested?
NovaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #85
baleeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDog View Post
Just discovered this group, can't wait for the cruise! It will be our second, following last June's trip on the Magic from NYC to Canada.

Our crew includes two birthday girls, as my wife and oldest daughter (6) are both celebrating on August 28. We'll also have our 4-year old daughter and 2-year old son. We might also have 2 grandparents coming, although they are still up in the air.

I just joined the Facebook group and the FE.

One other idea I'll throw out - on our cruise last June, a bunch of us that met up on Facebook ended up booking the private room at Palo's for brunch. You need at least 12 people, but there is no extra charge beyond the normal Palo's charge. It was a great way to meet up with everyone and a nice way to get a Palo's reservation (which can be difficult!). Anyone interested?
I think a Palo meet and eat (I'm so clever LOL) would be a great idea. I'm in. I have a friend traveling with us in another cabin who will attend too. So put us down for 2. Which day? Does it have to be sea day, which is not a problem.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #86
baleeve

Question Google docs question for FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LissaW16 View Post
Anyone interested in a Fish Extender exchange?

I'll volunteer to be "FE list keeper", and update as others join. Let me know if the link isn't working.

Feel free to share your info if you want - I copied kids' ages from your sig lines, if that's not their age on the cruise let me know and I will update.

~Melissa

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...U1jc3dnc21zWUE
Hi Melissa

I've never used google docs before. When I open it and try to add our info it won't allow me to. It says up top "view only".

How do I add us to the FE?

Thank you.
Kelli

Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #87
princess7070
Earning My Ears

family of 5

Hi everyone. We are a family of 5 cruising also on aug 25th. This will be our first Disney Cruise, or first cruise ever. Anyone else from Jersey??
princess7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #88
disneytheway
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess7070 View Post
Hi everyone. We are a family of 5 cruising also on aug 25th. This will be our first Disney Cruise, or first cruise ever. Anyone else from Jersey??
Hi Princess7070,
Welcome - we are from Sayreville NJ, going on the same cruise for the first time also. We have 2 boys (9 and 6), they have no idea we are doing the cruise

Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #89
princess7070
Earning My Ears

Hi Disneytheway!

We live in Jackson. We have 3 boys, 8, 6, and 3. We surprised our boys for a Christmas present. Sometimes i wish i would of waited and surprised them but I couldnt hold out, lol. So excited I cant wait. Are you flying out the day before? We decided to do that.
princess7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #90
cheribelle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess7070 View Post
Hi Disneytheway!

We live in Jackson. We have 3 boys, 8, 6, and 3. We surprised our boys for a Christmas present. Sometimes i wish i would of waited and surprised them but I couldnt hold out, lol. So excited I cant wait. Are you flying out the day before? We decided to do that.
Freehold NJ here! Our first cruise! Traveling with my daughters 12 &4, and my 9 year old son. So excited! We are driving, as I am too chicken to fly. But we are surprising my son with Legoland the day before the cruise. This is going to be a long summer as we wait to sail
cheribelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: