Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #3496
Gryffinclaw
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Going with backpacks for the 9 and up crowd . Once I figure out the Disboards app a little better I will post some pics of what I have been working on

Gennie

Gryffinclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #3497
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
Purpleears, everything is really cute, as always. The apron is darling.

As for my new machine, I think I'm going to have to do a little (a Lot) more rearranging in my sewing room so I can work comfortably at both machines.
Thanks. I hope you can get the rearranging done so you can play with your new machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi S View Post
Hey ladies - I'm popping back in. Since we went on our trip last August, I pretty much went right back to work and then got really bogged down with teaching and doing contract assessment writing...and I was a bit depressed that Disney was over for awhile. However...DH convinced me to move up the trip that I had originally planned to take with my mom and the kids in 2014 to this year.

So, I am going to take the crew back to AoA - this time staying at The Lion King section Dec. 1-7. The kids have NO idea and I will have to do my sewing on the sly...no telling them until at least Thanksgiving is the plan!
Welcome back! We are going to be there Dec 3 to 14. Perhaps we should plan a meet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
OOOOOOOh... we are also going from Nov 30 to Dec 10...
The week after Thanksgiving is our usual week of going...but after this year my daughter will be in high school...so I think the handwriting is going to be on the wall for us soon... We are staying at POFQ that trip. Maybe we will see you there!

Nini
Nini - our trips more or less overlap and we are currently booked at POFQ. We may run into each other quite a bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Sorry I haven't been on much. It was a busy weekend. I am going to try to catch up but I'm sure I have missed lots of stuff.

Wow you sure have been busy. I love the Big Give stuff and your Lucy halter top is adorable. I would love to be able to get away with a butt ruffle skirt but my daughters would die if I went out in public in a skirt of any kind. They are embarrassed enough by me in my jeans. Of course at 12 and 13, they are embarrassed just having a mother.

I have done only a tiny bit of sewing. I am starting to get bogged down with bat mitzvah details. We worked on the programs over the weekend and also did our first table seating charts. Of course the kids want me to move a million people around so I will be re-doing it.
Thanks Diane. I think you are right about 12 and 13 year-olds are embrassassed about mothers within 50 yards of them! DH isn't entire sold on the butt ruffle skirt either, but he will reserve his judgement until it is warm enough to wear it outside.

The big date is coming soon isn't it? I am sure the Bat Bitzvah will go off smoothly since you are such a good planner.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #3498
nannye
DIS Veteran

Alright here they are. After my machine broke and had to be fixed I was running out of time, so my mom helped finish. She did the ruffles and attaching the ruffly and skirt. I did everything else.

The mom was thrilled with the dresses and then asked if I had time for a few shirts.
Thank you Loree! for editing the files for me.

Can I just say how much I LOVE my machine after it got fixed it worked a zillion times better. It needed a new bobbin casing.

The first dress is mUCH fuller than the princess one. The panels on the mickey one were 6 8 inch panels and 6 5 inch panels. It was super hard to fit it in the waistband so for the princess dress I trimmed the panels down. It's not as full but still looks good!

The classic Mickey dress (this is the one the mom originally wanted me to put POOH on too! and then just use Mickey heads)

Close up of the appliquees

The Princess Dress

Appliquee close ups

I had a spare shirt and I went ahead and made her a shirt for AK to be nice.

The mom then asked if I could make matching shirts for herself and her husband. Simple Mickeyheads not a big deal. She also asked if by chance I could make her an Ariel shirt to match her daughters princess dress since Ariel was her daughters favorite princess.... ok.

And a Pooh shirt for Ali

The girl in her dress.

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #3499
BellePrincessBelle
Nothing says Thanksgiving like some road kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Alright here they are. After my machine broke and had to be fixed I was running out of time, so my mom helped finish. She did the ruffles and attaching the ruffly and skirt. I did everything else.

The mom was thrilled with the dresses and then asked if I had time for a few shirts.

Can I just say how much I LOVE my machine after it got fixed it worked a zillion times better. It needed a new bobbin casing.

The first dress is mUCH fuller than the princess one. The panels on the mickey one were 6 8 inch panels and 6 5 inch panels. It was super hard to fit it in the waistband so for the princess dress I trimmed the panels down. It's not as full but still looks good!

The classic Mickey dress (this is the one the mom originally wanted me to put POOH on too! and then just use Mickey heads)

The Princess Dress

Appliquee close ups

The mom then asked if I could make matching shirts for herself and her husband. Simple Mickeyheads not a big deal. She also asked if by chance I could make her an Ariel shirt to match her daughters princess dress since Ariel was her daughters favorite princess.... ok.

And a Pooh shirt for Ali

The girl in her dress.

Those are all lovely. May I ask what pattern that dress is?
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I wish I had more time to use my machine, but life comes first.
BellePrincessBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #3500
cogero
DIS Veteran

Nannye beautiful work. Can I ask if that is Heather's crown appliqué.

The dress looks like a simply sweet done with panels.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #3501
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
Nannye beautiful work. Can I ask if that is Heather's crown appliqué.

The dress looks like a simply sweet done with panels.
Hi, Yes it is Heathers crown, I think it is Cindy's crown

Yes Simply sweet, done with panels, I love that it is done like this. I am a definitely fan of the panel dress!

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #3502
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
I'm from Michigan. I used to work in Waterford, actually.

The best fabric store in the Detroit area is http://www.habermanfabrics.com/. It's expensive, but extremely high quality. That's where I bought fabric and trims for my wedding dress.

Other than that, just google the closest Joann's and Hobby Lobby. Some Walmart's still have fabric, too. There may be some quilt shops in that area, too, I'm not sure. I know a couple nice quilt shops, but one is in Ann Arbor and the other in Tecumseh, which are both pretty far from where you'll be.

If you want to do a Dis meet, maybe at the Joann's in Novi, a large store, let me know!

Regards,
C.
Ahhh I missed your reply.
Our plan is to go to Birch Run tomorrow then head to the hotel in Madison Heights. The next day we will be at Great Lakes and stores around there. staying in Madison Heights for the night, then heading to Port Huron area specifically Hobby Lobby on Gratiot. I'm not sure which Joanns we will be going to yet but based on our somewhat itinerary do you have a suggestion? I know it won't be the one on Gratiot rd as we went to that one last year and it was kinda small and blah.

Not sure if you are around there at all for a meet up or where Novi is, but let me know!

August 2011, V & I @ POP

Old 04-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #3503
sewdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:

The Princess Dress

Appliquee close ups

And a Pooh shirt for Ali

The girl in her dress.

everything is unbelievable cute! You did an incredible job!
sewdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #3504
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Yes Simply sweet, done with panels, I love that it is done like this. I am a definitely fan of the panel dress!
The dresses look great and so do the shirts. They fit the little girl so nicely.

Got my new sewing buddy today. Can't wait to see how the clothes look on it.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #3505
cogero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
The dresses look great and so do the shirts. They fit the little girl so nicely.

Got my new sewing buddy today. Can't wait to see how the clothes look on it.

I love having a dress form

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #3506
hey_jude
Mouseketeer

I know some of you are interested in examples of pockets on Easy Fits. Here's some I did for a recent Big Give. Since the shorts were denim I didn't really want to do the cargo pockets I'd done before but I needed to use the Cat in the Hat material since I signed up to do shorts that matched their Thing 1/Thing 2 shirts.

Judy

Dec 1972 - offsite visit to Disney World / Dec 1975 - offsite visit to Disney World / Mar 1993 - Dixie Landings / Aug 2008 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2009 - All Star Music, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Aug 2010 - All Star Music, Bay Lake Tower / October 2010 - offsite visit to Disneyland, Mickey's Halloween Party / Aug 2011 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
hey_jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #3507
hey_jude
Mouseketeer

Erin - those dresses and shirts are beautiful!

Dec 1972 - offsite visit to Disney World / Dec 1975 - offsite visit to Disney World / Mar 1993 - Dixie Landings / Aug 2008 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2009 - All Star Music, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Aug 2010 - All Star Music, Bay Lake Tower / October 2010 - offsite visit to Disneyland, Mickey's Halloween Party / Aug 2011 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
hey_jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #3508
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Nannye - the dresses are great - I especially love the "Basic" disney - all black and red and yellow and dots. Beautiful.

Purpleears - Oh, I'll play with the machine with the room as it is, it would just be easier if I moved some stuff around!

I have a couple of outfits to design. A friend requested something for her twins (boy & Girl) for 4th of July so I'm percolating something for that. But since neither of my dear friends are really Disney people, I'm also plotting some AG style doll clothes. I have about 7 naked AG type dolls (I think most of them are the ones they sell at Target - My Generation maybe?) that I rescued from thrift stores in my room somewhere that I need to clothe. Then, If I get them all clothed and pretty, I can go rescue some more.
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS 2014: Sick Trip
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #3509
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The Princess Dress

[/IMG][/URL]
The dresses look great. I am glad the Mom loved them after all the early drama with fabrics and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
I know some of you are interested in examples of pockets on Easy Fits. Here's some I did for a recent Big Give. Since the shorts were denim I didn't really want to do the cargo pockets I'd done before but I needed to use the Cat in the Hat material since I signed up to do shorts that matched their Thing 1/Thing 2 shirts.

Judy
Very cute! I like the subtle use of the fabrics. The easy fit is my go-to for my boys, they have quite a few pants and shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
Nannye - the dresses are great - I especially love the "Basic" disney - all black and red and yellow and dots. Beautiful.

Purpleears - Oh, I'll play with the machine with the room as it is, it would just be easier if I moved some stuff around!

I have a couple of outfits to design. A friend requested something for her twins (boy & Girl) for 4th of July so I'm percolating something for that. But since neither of my dear friends are really Disney people, I'm also plotting some AG style doll clothes. I have about 7 naked AG type dolls (I think most of them are the ones they sell at Target - My Generation maybe?) that I rescued from thrift stores in my room somewhere that I need to clothe. Then, If I get them all clothed and pretty, I can go rescue some more.
Lynnie Pinnie has a Boy and Girl patriotic monkey w/ sparklers that would be perfect for boy/girl twins. My friend's twin boys birthday is the 4th of july, so I am doing birthday t-shirts for them with the boy monkey. I was at hancock fabrics the other day and they already have patriotic stuff out. And actually, Lynnie Pinnine has a lot of boy/girl designs that my twin mama friends love for their boy/girl twins. I am currently helping my friend with boy/girl twins who turn 3 in sept to plan and create outfits for the twins and their older brother for their disney birthday kids-under-3-are-free trip. I have been called an enabler more than once in recent weeks, but I have helped her pick fabric for pirates league outfits for all 3, safari outfits and toy story outfits.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #3510
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

I just got the pics back from a friend who had her daughter model the dress I made and took some fabulous photos of her in it. I used the Fairytale Pattern Design Irelyn Peek-a-boo ruffle dress which I think turned out adorable. She is having a contest on her FB page so I had an actual deadline to get this done. (The contest ends the 19th.) I did the portrait peasant for underneath, so she can take off the dress and just have a peasant top for the day after breakfast with Pooh. It's hard to see the details, the fabric is all from the same collection of Winnie the Pooh. The yellow has bumblebees on it, the blue is like Pooh toile and the back is a quilt panel with all the looks together. I loved the look of that fabric, it's licensed fabric but seems more classic than cartoony.

The dress went together easier than I expected, but I used it as an opportunity to learn how to do ruffles AND rolled hems with my serger, so it wasn't exactly an afternoon project.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: