Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
favDisney
Earning My Ears

Saratoga Springs or Port Orleans Riverside

Hi, I'm thinking either the Saratoga Spring studio or the Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room, which one should I choose? Three of us, me, husband and a 1 year old. Thanks for any suggestion!
favDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by favDisney View Post
Hi, I'm thinking either the Saratoga Spring studio or the Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room, which one should I choose? Three of us, me, husband and a 1 year old. Thanks for any suggestion!
POR you will have two queen beds. SSR studio you will have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa that you can leave closed up most of the time. You will have plenty of room for a pack and play for the baby.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
RocketEAR99
DIS Veteran

I agree. POR is going to be the better option.
My past trips:WDW-1: Jun 1992 (Off Property), WDW-2: Aug 1997 (Off Property), WDW-3: Feb 2007 (POP), WDW-4: Jan 2009 (SSR), WDW-5: May 2009 (BWV), WDW-6: Oct 2009 (AKV Kidani), WDW-7: Mar 2010 (BLT), WDW-8: Jan 2011 (AKV Kidani), WDW-9: May 2011 (SSR), WDW-10: Feb 2012 (OKW), WDW-11: Oct 2012 (VWL), WDW-12: May 2013 (BWV)

Me Maverick

RocketEAR99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
tinkerbellmagic
don't hate me because I loved the castle cake

I have stayed at both and while we loved SSR itself, it seemed to take a long time to get to all the parks. For this reason, we wouldn't stay there again unless we got a really amazing deal. SSR is a pretty resort and a very clean resort, but in our experience the traffic around there sometimes, not sure if it's because of Downtown Disney or not, made for some long trips to the parks... seemed longer than the other ten resorts we have stayed at and just seemed farther away from everything.

The bus service wasn't the best in our experience at POR, but I'd still choose it over SSR.
tinkerbellmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

SSR studio gives you so much more room in the room plus you have a full balcony to enjoy after your 1 year old goes to sleep at night. For that reason alone I'd pick SSR.

I have stayed at SSR 5 times and the THV one time (using the same bus system) and I've never experienced poor bus service. It's no better or worse than other resort.

I would recommend requesting the Grandstand area at SSR. There's an excellent children's play area there, it's the first bus stop in/out of the resort and it's a fairly short walk to the CS/TS/checkin area.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
SSR studio gives you so much more room in the room plus you have a full balcony to enjoy after your 1 year old goes to sleep at night. For that reason alone I'd pick SSR.

I have stayed at SSR 5 times and the THV one time (using the same bus system) and I've never experienced poor bus service. It's no better or worse than other resort.

I would recommend requesting the Grandstand area at SSR. There's an excellent children's play area there, it's the first bus stop in/out of the resort and it's a fairly short walk to the CS/TS/checkin area.
Agreed.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
AndieGow
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by favDisney View Post
Haven't stayed at either but hoping to book a few nights at SSR xx
AndieGow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Another vote for SSR Grandstand area. The water sprayground will be lots of fun for a toddler and you'll have more room, a balcony, minifridge and microwave.

But PO is great too...

35+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
Karabee
DIS Veteran

Another vote for SSR. I found the resort to be incredibly peaceful and service to be excellent. I also liked the rooms a lot more. The rooms are the "hotel" style so you have your own balcony and no one is walking by your window. I also found the buses to be very constant and walking to DTD can't be beat!

Places checked off the hotel list : Poly, Poly CL, SSR, BC, DI, AKL, OKW, GF, WL, CBR, POR, POP
Karabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
favDisney
Earning My Ears

Great point with the balcony, thx for all the suggestions!!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
cannonboys
Mouseketeer

I have stayed at both and as much as I love POR, I would choose SSR.
If you are staying in a studio, this is what you will get.....

1. Studio- 1 Q bed and pull out sofa
2. Small kitchenette!!!! ****WORTH IT***
-microwave
-toaster
-small fridge with an actual freezer section, although tiny, but still!!!!
3. BALCONY!!!!
4. the layout of the bathroom and sleeping area--- much more room, especially if you don't pull out sofa and just place pack n play!!

BTW...pools are great! Also, depending on your room, you may get a view of DTD and imagine sitting on your balcony, sipping wine watching the nightlife!!

cannonboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
disneemama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonboys View Post
I have stayed at both and as much as I love POR, I would choose SSR.
If you are staying in a studio, this is what you will get.....

1. Studio- 1 Q bed and pull out sofa
2. Small kitchenette!!!! ****WORTH IT***
-microwave
-toaster
-small fridge with an actual freezer section, although tiny, but still!!!!
3. BALCONY!!!!
4. the layout of the bathroom and sleeping area--- much more room, especially if you don't pull out sofa and just place pack n play!!

BTW...pools are great! Also, depending on your room, you may get a view of DTD and imagine sitting on your balcony, sipping wine watching the nightlife!!

Totally agree, I have stayed at both as well many times. You will have a magical time no matter which one you decide on.

disneemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Can I ask why a royal room at POR? Is that all that's available? If other room types are available, I might consider something else. A one year old won't appreciate it and some of the rooms can be isolated. And all of the royal rooms are a long walk from the main pool at POR. If you're concerned at all about the size of POR, booking a preferred room may be a better use of the extra money.

I can't speak to SSR but I'm not fond of their location. POR seems to have a better location, in terms of transit time to the parks.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #14
favDisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Can I ask why a royal room at POR? Is that all that's available? If other room types are available, I might consider something else. A one year old won't appreciate it and some of the rooms can be isolated. And all of the royal rooms are a long walk from the main pool at POR. If you're concerned at all about the size of POR, booking a preferred room may be a better use of the extra money.

I can't speak to SSR but I'm not fond of their location. POR seems to have a better location, in terms of transit time to the parks.

Actually I really like the royal room (prob more for me than the baby ), but with the balcony, I prob will go with SSR...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: