Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

New Disney ship?

Hmmmmm...

Walt Disney World Update on Mouseplanet

New Disney Cruise rumors afloat
Discussing rumors of new port destinations, cruise itineraries and even ships is a popular pasttime among Disney Cruise Line fans, and it's a time-honored tradition to try to pry details from the ship's officers during onboard social events. Rumors of a fifth and sixth ship for the Disney Cruise Line have been circulating ever since the maiden voyage of the Disney Fantasy, when Bernard Meyer, president of the Meyer-Werft shipyards that built Disney's third and fourth ships, was overheard several times talking with DCL executives about changes that would be made "next time."

Disney is famously unwilling to discuss future plans for the cruise line before a public announcement is made, even off the record. (I once had a DCL publicist assure me that he knew absolutely nothing whatsoever about a rumored itinerary I asked about, only to hand me a press release about that exact topic the very next day. He maintains I didn't phrase my question properly. I made a mental note never to play poker with him.) Even so, rumors do have a way of slipping out in a company of several thousand people, and we've been hearing more and more chatter that Disney Cruise Line is about to make a "major announcement," likely involving the next generation of ships. Disney has a major press event scheduled at Walt Disney World in the coming weeks, which would be an ideal time and place for such an announcement.

We've also heard that senior managers were briefed last week about an upcoming major refurbishment of the Disney Magic, the first ship in the Disney Cruise Line fleet. The Magic marks its 15th anniversary this June, and is spending the summer season offering Mediterranean cruises from Barcelona, Spain. At the end of that schedule, the Magic will undergo a six-week renovation before returning to Florida.

By Jeff Kober on Mon, 15 Apr 2013 03:42:08 -0700

Actually, my inside sources have not confirmed a sixth ship, but have confirmed a fifth ship, and that one is to be a much smaller ship that will allow Disney Cruise Line to charter smaller river itineraries like the Columbia or the Rhine. But it wouldn't surprise me that they would get a bigger bang for their investment to have two ships made, as it will reduce some of the overhead when shared.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/10319/Wal..._Resort_Update

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Interesting..... I wonder if new ships would change the pricing on cruises at all?
CrawfordMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Cats12
Mouseketeer

Much smaller ships? I don't really think of Disney as the boutique / not mass produced kind of vacation...

Cats12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

OK..heres a new twist on a 5th vessel!.....Riverboat

In today's Walt Disney World Update on Mouseplanet they briefly talked about the fifth and sixth ship rumor. However... in the comments at the bottom was this comment by author Jeff Kober --

http://www.mouseplanet.com/10319/Wal..._Resort_Update

"By Jeff Kober on Mon, 15 Apr 2013 03:42:08 -0700
Actually, my inside sources have not confirmed a sixth ship, but have confirmed a fifth ship, and that one is to be a much smaller ship that will allow Disney Cruise Line to charter smaller river itineraries like the Columbia or the Rhine. But it wouldn't surprise me that they would get a bigger bang for their investment to have two ships made, as it will reduce some of the overhead when shared."

What does every one think?

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

River cruises are port-intensive so I think of the river boats as a floating hotel; mostly to eat sleep and change clothes instead of 24/7 entertainment. They sure wouldn't have room for an aquaduck on board.

Since DH and i are looking into a river cruise through europe, probably summer 2014, I'll be interested to see what DCL comes up with in the next few years. If the price is outrageously more expensive than the competition, thanks, but no thanks.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:18 AM   #6
mimmi
DIS Veteran

That would be so great. A Disney River cruise in Europe, I vote for the Danube so I could see it pass every week .

I've always been under the impression that there are almost exclusively seinior people on river cruises, maybe this would be different with a Disney ship, I would totally book such a cruise.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
I've always been under the impression that there are almost exclusively seinior people on river cruises
They are. Two years ago a co-worker of mine turned 70 and her daughter (then 48 yrs old) took her on one to celebrate her bday. They went on AMA Waterways (they had a 2-for-1 deal) and it involved Hungary and some other counties. They went in Nov and did a lot of the Christmas markets. Her daughter was THE youngest person on the cruise at age 48. She never once saw a person in the pool, and a few times the hot tub was used, but its freezing in Nov at that time. She loved the experience. Her & her daughter are avid cruisers and cruise twice a year normally, so she was able to make lots of comparisons.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #8
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Am I the only one who's expecting to be underwhelmed by these announcements? Either a "release" of the dry dock remodel photos already leaked (shown here-http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013/01/potential-interior-concept-design-renderings-the-disney-magics-2013-overhaul-wonder-art/)
Or Monster's University themed cruises (they did call it a Monstrous announcement, if they meant monstrous, they capitalized oddly) plus it goes with the "Monstrous Summer" they're promoting- http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/let...-disney-world/
Anyone else?
I'm really hoping its two new ships but expecting this instead.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
wcw57
DIS Veteran

i don't get the river cruises by Disney thing....I mean, there are sooooo many boutique cruises that already exist what would be the Disney draw?

However, Americana-themed cruises up the Mississippi or Hudson or what have you would be a great tie-in (Mike Keel, good ol' USA, etc) for the Disney brand....I think.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
wcw57
DIS Veteran

I think it is amazing how multiple threads about the same subject appear here....sometimes by the same poster (note the romantic and vow renewal threads) anyhow, not having seen this thread before I posted on that OTHER thread, I can only assume that great minds think alike...that is, yours and mine!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Buckeye218
DVC Member since 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcw57 View Post
i don't get the river cruises by Disney thing....I mean, there are sooooo many boutique cruises that already exist what would be the Disney draw?

However, Americana-themed cruises up the Mississippi or Hudson or what have you would be a great tie-in (Mike Keel, good ol' USA, etc) for the Disney brand....I think.
When I first heard this, I was thinking along these same lines...although that would likely mean the ship would be U.S. flagged which of course means complying with the more stringent (read: expensive) U.S. standards.

But I would definitely be on board w/ U.S. themed river cruises. What about the Colorado? I think that would make for an amazing river cruise, although I'm sure how navigable it is.
Dis Dads Club Member #85

Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern April 2013 Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern September 2006
Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western June 2012 Disney Wonder 4 Night October 2005

Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern March 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Western October 2004
Buckeye218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

The Rhine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

. . . have confirmed a fifth ship, and that one is to be a much smaller ship that will allow Disney Cruise Line to charter smaller river itineraries like the Columbia or the Rhine.
The Rhine is very scenic. I particularly enjoyed visiting the quaint small towns.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
wcw57
DIS Veteran

can anyone explain why one would travel to Europe to get on a Disney river ship as opposed to any of the existing river lines? I mean, the whole European/continental mystique thing as opposed to Mickey?
Old 04-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
That would be so great. A Disney River cruise in Europe, I vote for the Danube so I could see it pass every week .

I've always been under the impression that there are almost exclusively seinior people on river cruises, maybe this would be different with a Disney ship, I would totally book such a cruise.

20 years ago I would have said this about all cruises! Up until I heard of the Big Red Boat, I would never imagine taking a cruise for a family vacation...cruises were for old people and party animals.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye218 View Post
When I first heard this, I was thinking along these same lines...although that would likely mean the ship would be U.S. flagged which of course means complying with the more stringent (read: expensive) U.S. standards.

But I would definitely be on board w/ U.S. themed river cruises. What about the Colorado? I think that would make for an amazing river cruise, although I'm sure how navigable it is.
Unless all you Disney fans actually BOOK.. (and book a lot) I don't think we will see River Cruises by Disney in the US. In truth the demand is not there. Most of the others have gone out of business due to the lack of demand.

I think your only two options are the Great Lakes and the Mississippi.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: