Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
skylizard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
If
In any event, if I were doing "those other parks", I would not be staying at a Disney resort. I would look into a timeshare rental at Bonnet Creek or even a vacation home rental. There are plenty of places that can accommodate a family of five without breaking the bank.
Great advice. You'll save a lot of money by renting outside of Disney. Bonnet Creek is an excellent choice and it's on Disney property.
skylizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Another option you may want to consider (if you really want to stay on-site) is a cabin at FT Wilderness. Doing a quick check of prices for this late May-early June came up to $5,557.26 for 6 nights, 7 day hoppers with Water Parks and More, and the DDP. So that is not much above your stated $5,000 budget. The cabins have a full kitchen soif you remove the DDP you are down to $4,350 plus whatever you spend OOP for food and the non-Disney parks. None of this takes into consideration any discounts since there is no way to anticipate what may be offered a year from now.

Your trip is probably doable for around $5,000 but I think you would enjoy it a lot more (given all that you want to do) if you could raise your budget to around $6,000.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #18
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

I'd stay at the doubletree DTD or POR. Also skip going to EPcot just to eat. Eat at the resorts. Eat at Boma if you like AK. As others have said its a lot to pay for a park jus to pay to eat. Since you don't have any off days don't pay for deluxe.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
grandall
Mouseketeer

You have all been so helpful thank you so much!! As it happens, a friend just returned from a non-Disney Orlando vacation where they stayed at the Marriot Grande Vista which was reasonably priced for a villa with a full kitchen (big enough for all five of us, and I can save money on some meals) and then got the bundle with SW, DC, and Aquatica -- she said Aquatica was very nice and I trust her, so I think I'm just going to go with that...doing it this way makes much more sense, I think...
Old 04-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #20
grandall
Mouseketeer

OMG, just shared my fabulous non-Disney Orlando touring plan with DH but he isn't on board AT ALL!!! He does not believe in going to Orlando without going to Disney, and his plan for saving tons of $$$ is simply not buying park hoppers...this is what his ideal vacation looks like:

Day 1 arrive, check out hotel (he really wants to stay Deluxe)
Day 2, Disney water park, dinner outside of parks
Day 3, MK all day with dinner
Day 4, Epcot all day with dinner
Day 5, If affordable rent a car and go to Legoland, if not stay at resort, have dinner in room
Day 6, Disney water park, dinner outside of parks
Day 7, depart

I guess I can live with that (Will I ever get to swim with a dolphin?????)...off to crunch the numbers...thanks again...
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #21
JJsmama
Becoming an accidental expert on resorts Far from The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
Ideal Vacation is Too Much $$$, what can we do?
Story of my life..... You're getting some good advice here.....
That's what I was thinking. With no disrespect to the OP, I think all of our 'ideal' vacations are too expensive.

However, it sounds to me like OP is barely doing any WDW parks at all. WHy not just skip those tix altogether and do the water parks, resort hop and dinners at resorts, and the 'other' parks?

Contemporary x 5 trips, Polynesian x 4 trips, Beach Club x 2 trip, Wilderness Lodge x 1 trip, Port Orleans R / FQ x 3 trips, All Stars Movies x 1 trip, Tokyo DisneyLand and Tokyo DisneySea x 1 trip, Disney Cruise line x 3 cruises

Animal Kingdom Lodge & Contemporary Here We Come! Summer 2014
JJsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #22
tlwfun89
Mouseketeer

ok I think Disney is a vacation in itself. Especially price/budget wise. The offsite places are a whole other vacation. Legoland well lets just say its costly for what you get and not real close to Disney.
tlwfun89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #23
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandall
OMG, just shared my fabulous non-Disney Orlando touring plan with DH but he isn't on board AT ALL!!! He does not believe in going to Orlando without going to Disney, and his plan for saving tons of $$$ is simply not buying park hoppers...this is what his ideal vacation looks like:

Day 1 arrive, check out hotel (he really wants to stay Deluxe)
Day 2, Disney water park, dinner outside of parks
Day 3, MK all day with dinner
Day 4, Epcot all day with dinner
Day 5, If affordable rent a car and go to Legoland, if not stay at resort, have dinner in room
Day 6, Disney water park, dinner outside of parks
Day 7, depart

I guess I can live with that (Will I ever get to swim with a dolphin?????)...off to crunch the numbers...thanks again...
That doesn't sound like too much of a bad itinerary to me! You're definitely getting more use out of your Disney tickets too. Just a thought (this is probably going to sound a bit selfish and mean, but I bring it up as it worked for a friend's family) what if you went to Discovery Cove alone while he took the rest of your family to Legoland, or even while he stayed and swam/did savannah things at AKL? It sounds like you're the only one who's really excited about Discovery Cove, could you get away with going to do that while they do something else? He's excited about the resort, you're excited about the dolphin swim...maybe split and do both, then meet for dinner?
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #24
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
Just a thought (this is probably going to sound a bit selfish and mean, but I bring it up as it worked for a friend's family) what if you went to Discovery Cove alone while he took the rest of your family to Legoland,
that's a great suggestion because legoland is more age appropriate for the younger ones and a dolphin swim more appropriate for the older one
Sunnywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #25
patty57
DIS Veteran

OP...are you going with the WDW plan, or trying to come up with something else?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #26
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnywho View Post
that's a great suggestion because legoland is more age appropriate for the younger ones and a dolphin swim more appropriate for the older one
Excellent suggestion. If both parents aren't set on both of those parks, you save quite a bit. I have only done LL in California, but 10 is about the top of the target demographic, I think.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #27
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

Have you checked rates at the Swan or Dolphin? They often offer some good discounts and they sit right outside of Epcot, so you get very much of that Disney feel. They are very nice resorts with a mostly moderate price tag. Also there are a number of good resort restaurants close by. And if you do decide to partake of those Epcot dinners, you are conveniently located.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #28
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

I would suggest giving serious thought to Art of Animation family suites or the All Star Music family suites. We also have a family of 5 and the deluxes are very pricey. Your kids are young enough that they would still love the over the top theming of those 2 resorts. I took my oldest two (they were 4 and 6) and we stayed at Pop Century that trip since it was just the 3 of us. Last month all 5 of us went and we stayed at the Contemporary. My kids kept asking when we could go to the hotel with the "big things". Young kids like that sort of stuff. And those 2 are a lot cheaper. Check it out. You'd still be on site for the Disney magic!
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #29
grandall
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
OP...are you going with the WDW plan, or trying to come up with something else?
I'm not sure, I'm so confused...I was looking forward to seeing some new things but DH does not believe in going to Orlando w/o going to Disney. We had an absolute blast last time so maybe he is right. I think the way to go like many people have suggested is to stay on-site at a moderate (and I am very intrigued by AoA) to save some money, and then do a day trip or two to Legoland and/or DC. I love the idea of splitting up in some way too, so I am exploring that. Thanks to everyone for all of your ideas, they have all been great, my mind is swimming (in a good way)...when I do book something and it is all final I will post back here...

Last edited by grandall; 04-17-2013 at 08:56 AM.
grandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #30
CupcakeKelly
This sleeve of Thin Mints IS my breakfast

After reading this I realize how thankful I am that vacation planning with DH is I plan everything and he shows up and enjoys the benefits of my planning

2014 Reading Challenge - Goal: 25 books
Completed: 6 of 25 - #1 Uglies ~ #2 The Maze Runner ~ #3 The Scorch Trials ~ #4 Matched ~ #5 Crossed ~ #6 Reached

Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
CupcakeKelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: