Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #31
Disfan454
Earning My Ears
 
Disfan454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 44

Can you somone tell me what a TS is as related to meals? I see it often.
Disfan454 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #32
Turtletyson
Mouseketeer
 
Turtletyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 75

TS is "table service" (sit down meal), as opposed to QS ("quick service" - order at a counter).
__________________






PHOTOS FROM MARCH 1-4, 2007 DISNEY WONDER: http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/Turtletyson
Turtletyson is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #33
UConnFan
Mouseketeer
 
UConnFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 444

We went back and forth, but decided we wanted it for our Disneymoon for a few reasons.

1) We could save some money paying out of pocket, but then we wouldn't be able to eat in Signature restaurants and order the more expensive meals. Normally that isn't a priority, but it was this time. We're eating less meals this time at a TS because we're doing some signature meals. We hated having to stick to a schedule for meals, so this helps with that, and the food will be better.

2) My fiance eats a lot. For Christmas, my stepmother gave him a platter and serving utensils as a fork and knife as a joke because he eats so much. It made sense for him to have a lot of food (especially with so much walking!) If it were just me, or me and my mother, I wouldn't want the dining plan because it's too much food (I would rather share meals), but with him it makes sense.

3) We really like the idea of just going without having to think about paying for our meals. We decided we would pay a little bit more for that convenience.
__________________


July 14-21, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
December 6-9 2013 Disapalooza - Pop Century
May 19-26 2013 Disneymoon at Pop Century
December 17-21 2012 - Pop Century
New Years 2010/2011 - Pop Century
July 2010
April 2005 - Fort Wilderness Campground
June 2004
UConnFan is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #34
VACamm
DIS Veteran
 
VACamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 709

We always get the DDP... it works for us and we like having our meals paid off in advance
__________________
Have a Disney Day!
VACamm is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #35
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 328

danceintherain: I don't believe the people who claim the DDP saves them money actually tried to figure it out in a systematic way. I think they just look at the prices for steak and assume it does. I thought I needed the plan because I have three expensive restaurants reserved for my trip. The double point deduction actually makes these places WORSE to use on the plan! (You're wasting points by using your plan on a 2 point restaurant vs. two 1 point restaurants if the combined bills of the 1 point places are more than the 2 point one, and they usually are.)

I also think part of the logical fallacies going on in people's heads is the idea that they need the plan so they can pay for everything up front. There's a card game called "Let It Ride" where the players have to put up three bets and then have the option to take some away as the game progresses. You'd think it would be no different if the rules were put one bet down and add more bets as the game goes on, but it's not. There's something about the human brain that resists changing the initial bet. Similarly, even though it's cheaper to pay OOP, people want to give all the money up front because it forces them to buy meals they wouldn't have if they had to face the bill each time. This is crazy, because these people are willfully trying to trick themselves to spend beyond their wishes. This benefits Disney rather the customer but instead of balking at it, they see it as a feature of the "service." OOP purchases are done with your room key and list of payments is provided at the end of the trip, so I don't get the "sticker shock" claim. I honestly don't have an explanation about the cognitive dissonance about how the DDP is supposed to be easier. I don't understand how having to track your meals to use up points makes things easier.

If anyone has an itinerary that is cheaper with one of the dining plans, please post it. It would be interesting to see an example where the plan works and works to be significantly cheaper than OOP.
Jonathan Swift is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #36
martinezmom3
Mouseketeer
 
martinezmom3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: IL
Posts: 188

Look through menus and decide what type of trip you'd like to have. We're a family of five, and all but one of us are gastronomes for sure. We're doing the DxDP and while it's quite expensive (2 adults, 1 Disney adult, and 2 children) we are a family that loves to dine together and love to challenge or palates. It's just something we've always loved to do together, so for that reason it works for us. Part of our excitement about vacation is dining. The idea of three apps to share and three desserts to share, is exciting, and for me (an obsessive planner) making ADR's is a blast. Check out the menus and just decide what works best for what you want to spend.

Also, we did use the DDP before and felt this time we'd like more food because it's a longer trip. We may not use it every trip, but thus far, it's just what we prefer. It's just like the vacation itself,,,not something that's a necessity, but just something we enjoy and are thankful to be able to do it.

Last edited by martinezmom3; 04-15-2013 at 06:28 PM.
martinezmom3 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #37
tinkerbella16
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerbella16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,375

We love the DDP, but then again we have never paid for it since we travel during free dining. Not sure if they will release it this fall so I booked our trip with the Regular Plan anyway and will pay out of pocket. I do think it is worth it.. I like the idea of having everything paid for in advance whether I am paying for it or Disney is. We may not eat that much in "the real world" but dining in disney is part of the experience for us. We can go to restaurants that we may not go to if we didn't have it. We can do character meals without worrying about costs. We love Hoop Dee Doo so that is nice being able to just use our credits for it. Everyone feels differently about DDP so you will get a lot of mixed reviews.
__________________
Next trip- November 6-14th 2015 Port Orleans French Quarter!!



tinkerbella16 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #38
kris4360
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbella16
We love the DDP, but then again we have never paid for it since we travel during free dining. Not sure if they will release it this fall so I booked our trip with the Regular Plan anyway and will pay out of pocket. I do think it is worth it.. I like the idea of having everything paid for in advance whether I am paying for it or Disney is. We may not eat that much in "the real world" but dining in disney is part of the experience for us. We can go to restaurants that we may not go to if we didn't have it. We can do character meals without worrying about costs. We love Hoop Dee Doo so that is nice being able to just use our credits for it. Everyone feels differently about DDP so you will get a lot of mixed reviews.
I feel the exact same! I also went ahead and booked for this fall also.
kris4360 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #39
figment5
Earning My Ears
 
figment5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Swift View Post
danceintherain: I don't believe the people who claim the DDP saves them money actually tried to figure it out in a systematic way. I think they just look at the prices for steak and assume it does. I thought I needed the plan because I have three expensive restaurants reserved for my trip. The double point deduction actually makes these places WORSE to use on the plan! (You're wasting points by using your plan on a 2 point restaurant vs. two 1 point restaurants if the combined bills of the 1 point places are more than the 2 point one, and they usually are.)

I also think part of the logical fallacies going on in people's heads is the idea that they need the plan so they can pay for everything up front. There's a card game called "Let It Ride" where the players have to put up three bets and then have the option to take some away as the game progresses. You'd think it would be no different if the rules were put one bet down and add more bets as the game goes on, but it's not. There's something about the human brain that resists changing the initial bet. Similarly, even though it's cheaper to pay OOP, people want to give all the money up front because it forces them to buy meals they wouldn't have if they had to face the bill each time. This is crazy, because these people are willfully trying to trick themselves to spend beyond their wishes. This benefits Disney rather the customer but instead of balking at it, they see it as a feature of the "service." OOP purchases are done with your room key and list of payments is provided at the end of the trip, so I don't get the "sticker shock" claim. I honestly don't have an explanation about the cognitive dissonance about how the DDP is supposed to be easier. I don't understand how having to track your meals to use up points makes things easier.

If anyone has an itinerary that is cheaper with one of the dining plans, please post it. It would be interesting to see an example where the plan works and works to be significantly cheaper than OOP.
Here is our itinerary, the DDP will cost us 1114.42:
TS Me DH DD10 DD8
BOG 37 30 37 11 115
Garden Grill 37.27 37.27 37.27 18.1 129.91
Cape May Café 38.33 38.33 38.33 18.1 133.09
Tusker House 29.81 29.81 29.81 17.03 106.46
Whispering Canyon 36 36 36 11 119
Ohana's 36.2 36.2 36.2 18.1 126.7

QS
BOG 18 17 18 8.5 61.5
Casey's Corner 13 14 13 13 53
POP Breakfast 11 11 9 5 36
Flame Tree BBQ 18 17 17 6 58
Yorkshire Fish Shop 13.8 13.8 13.8 13.8 55.2
Fairfax Fare 22 17 17 6 62
1055.86
The total is based on the lowest prices of all the buffets so it is possible they could be more expensive in June, also I did not include tax on the non-buffet meals or snacks. If you take into account only $3 per snack which is low end for us we would add $72 for snacks and probably about $30 in taxes for a grand total of $1157.86. And this is based on exactly what we would order with or without the dining plan, where we would eat with or without it and the fact that we enjoy dessert on vacation. So for us it saves about $43 getting the dining plan. However, alot of people do not eat desserts, drink water instead of soda, and share meals so like everyone seems to agree it is a personal choice based on your typical eating habits.
__________________


Me DH DD(18) DD(10) DD(8)
figment5 is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #40
Sheaboys
DIS Veteran
 
Sheaboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brimfield, Massachusetts
Posts: 719

We do the dining plan. We have 5 boys, 3 were over 10 (14, 12 and 10) when we went in August.
We did get it for free. We had 2 rooms at Caribbean Beach, with the room discount, on 2 rooms, it still was not even remotely close to the FREE Dining discount. I knew we were eating a TS meal a day, for supper. We like the down time, so either way we would be paying for tax and tip on those. I knew we would be eating CS meals, maybe sharing, splitting between breakfast and lunch, and we eat snacks. Did we eat every single dessert? No, but still the dining plan was well worth it for FREE and would be for a cost, for our family. My older boys eat like adults, so no on the fence about kids meals or not liking the adult menu etc.

I think families with less kiddo's do better with room discounts.
__________________
Trip Report August 2014:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323593

Our August 2012 Free Dining Review. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2990330

Mom to 5 little boys
WDW-various days during the 70's and 80's as a child. DisneyLand-July 1991, DisneyWorld-April 1992 offsite
Caribbean Beach-June 1995 honeymoon, All Stars Sports-December 1998, All Star Movies- November 2000 (me, my mom and the 2 boys) DTD Hotel - May 2001, All Star Movies-September 2001 (me, the 2 boys and my girlfriend), Disneyland-December 2003 (us and the 3 boys), POR-October 2nd-8th 2005 (us and the 3 boys)Caribbean Beach-August 25, 2012-September 2,2012
POR-August 2014 (16th-26th)

(dh43) (me 43) (16)(14)(12)(8) (5)
Sheaboys is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #41
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment5 View Post
Here is our itinerary...
This is great! It will be easier for someone to work with this itinerary as a baseline. The savings is less than $2.50 a person per day (including the 3-9 year old), but it's something!
Jonathan Swift is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #42
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 840

This really comes down to how you and your family eat and the best way to try and figure out value is to get a rough idea of what you would spend out of pocket by looking at menus. You probably don't even have to look at them all, you get a pretty good idea of an average meal cost once you do just a few.

For us, we did the DDP last trip (first time for us) and I'm not going to bother with it next time. For me I really liked the fact that it was prepaid and on vacation, I do like to indulge in desserts. We did get "free" dining, so we ended up breaking even, saving maybe a little bit. For my DH, he always felt like he needed to be ordering the most expensive item, even if it's not what he really wanted and to me, that's just not an advantage, plus he's not a big dessert eater. DDP definitely doesn't work well for him.

So this trip, we'll try without and see what we like better, but purely cost wise, based on how I've calculated, DDP is not a cost savings for us.
__________________
_____________________________________________
Art of Animation Cars Suite - Aug 2015 - Mommy & DS7 are going back!
Art of Animation Nemo Suite - Aug 2014 - Mommy & DS6 trip
POP & Offsite - Aug 2013 - MB/FP+ test
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #43
alisha123
Mouseketeer
 
alisha123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 117

In my opinion heck no!! I just leads to believe you should eat more food and who wants to be tired and sluggish and spend a ton of money to get it? My oldest daughter and myself split a lot of things and we are not big eaters anyway. So in my opinion it's not worth it and your gonna spend more money than needed
alisha123 is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #44
kris4360
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACamm
We always get the DDP... it works for us and we like having our meals paid off in advance
Same here.
kris4360 is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #45
kevschickee
DIS Veteran
 
kevschickee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stoughton Ma
Posts: 1,183

It's worth it in my opinion. I love that my meals are prepaid and people say it's a ton of food but really it's a reg days worth of food.
__________________
Me 32 Halee 7

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.