Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #3481
abqgreene
Earning My Ears

I know I've seen this but what Sulky stabilizer do you recommend? I am doing t- ****s and small appliqués by hand on cotton.

Thanks
Heather
abqgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #3482
FreeThinker
Mouseketeer

I am wanting to make a strip skirt w/ the Princesses embroidereid on it. I have bought the patches, and am ready to bbuy the material. My question is how much do I need? I want to make a top (think a longer bodice w/ buttons ont he back and ruffles along the bottom) and a strip skirt w/ 2 materials (and a 3rd for the ruffles on the bottom). Oldest is a size 10/12, second is a size 8. I need a 22" length for the oldest, about 20 for the second (this is not including extra, this is the actual waist measurement). I am not sure how full to make the skirts. I was thinking a yard and a half of one fabric, and a yard of the other for each girl? ANd then a yard to make the ruffles for both of them. DOes this sound about right? I don't have a pattern yet, and I Plan to just piece one together from my mom's patterns I may also do a yoke on the skirt, then attach the pannels if that would fit better. SUggestions welcome!
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #3483
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqgreene View Post
I know I've seen this but what Sulky stabilizer do you recommend? I am doing t- ****s and small appliqués by hand on cotton.

Thanks
Heather
For T-shirts I use cutaway and for cotton, tear away (but sometimes cut away too)

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #3484
Gryffinclaw
Earning My Ears

Question

Question: how old is too old for a crayon roll? 10?? Making crayon rolls as FE gifts, mostly a younger crowd of kids but a few 9 and 10 year olds. I have two teens and I am doing drawstring backpacks for them but not sure what to do with the 9 and 10 year olds....thoughts?? Thanks!!!

Gennie

Gryffinclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #3485
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
I have not seen one...the problem you run into is the teeny tiny pieces of fabric you would need to make it work as an applique...after you add the satin stitch not a lot of the fabric would show up...

If you find one I would be very careful with the cutting...because the satin stitch will be very tiny and might not cover all the fabric well...meaning it would fray very easily...

Nini
Thanks Nini and Jen, I hadn't thought about the appliquee and tiny pieces, embroidery only is fine too, we'll see what happens I'll ask the mom. I really like the one on Ibroidery that Jen mentioned but $10! so if she wants it, she's paying for it.
Thanks!
Erin

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Old 04-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #3486
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffinclaw View Post
Question: how old is too old for a crayon roll? 10?? Making crayon rolls as FE gifts, mostly a younger crowd of kids but a few 9 and 10 year olds. I have two teens and I am doing drawstring backpacks for them but not sure what to do with the 9 and 10 year olds....thoughts?? Thanks!!!

Gennie
I would do backpacks for the 9-10 year olds too.

August 2011, V & I @ POP

Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #3487
sewdisney
Mouseketeer

Disney fonts

Purplears - where did you get your Disney fonts? (or anyone if you know where to get some) Thanks!
sewdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #3488
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqgreene View Post
I know I've seen this but what Sulky stabilizer do you recommend? I am doing t-shirts and small appliqués by hand on cotton.

Thanks
Heather
I would use a medium weight cut away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
I am wanting to make a strip skirt w/ the Princesses embroidereid on it. I have bought the patches, and am ready to bbuy the material. My question is how much do I need? I want to make a top (think a longer bodice w/ buttons ont he back and ruffles along the bottom) and a strip skirt w/ 2 materials (and a 3rd for the ruffles on the bottom). Oldest is a size 10/12, second is a size 8. I need a 22" length for the oldest, about 20 for the second (this is not including extra, this is the actual waist measurement). I am not sure how full to make the skirts. I was thinking a yard and a half of one fabric, and a yard of the other for each girl? ANd then a yard to make the ruffles for both of them. DOes this sound about right? I don't have a pattern yet, and I Plan to just piece one together from my mom's patterns I may also do a yoke on the skirt, then attach the pannels if that would fit better. SUggestions welcome!
I just looked at the fabric requirements for Carla's stripwork jumper (since it is probably close to what you plan to do). A size 7/8 dress would take 5/8 yard for each strip (4 fabrics total), 5/8 yard for a single ruffle, 3/8 yard for bodice, 3/8 yard for bodice lining, and 1/8 yard for straps.

Quote:

Gennie
I think I would do crayon roll but put it colour pencils instead of crayons for the older kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewdisney View Post
Purplears - where did you get your Disney fonts? (or anyone if you know where to get some) Thanks!
I got a few of them from Mickeyavenue.com. You can also google "Disney font free."

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #3489
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
My computer is having issues grabbing the quotes....

Flora! I love that!

I have to ask...what font did you use on the McQueen ?

Also, I wish I could get away with but ruffles...but mine is so big ...and I would be ruffling yards and YARDS!

Nini
I don't think I could do the butt ruffles either, but then again, I'm not a very girly-girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Thanks Nini and Jen, I hadn't thought about the appliquee and tiny pieces, embroidery only is fine too, we'll see what happens I'll ask the mom. I really like the one on Ibroidery that Jen mentioned but $10! so if she wants it, she's paying for it.
Thanks!
Erin
iBroidery has a 1/2 off code on Disney & Pixar good through April 30th. 50Disney13. Just in case.

Purpleears, everything is really cute, as always. The apron is darling.

As for my new machine, I think I'm going to have to do a little (a Lot) more rearranging in my sewing room so I can work comfortably at both machines.

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #3490
Sandi S
Sew Crazy for Disney!

Smile

Hey ladies - I'm popping back in. Since we went on our trip last August, I pretty much went right back to work and then got really bogged down with teaching and doing contract assessment writing...and I was a bit depressed that Disney was over for awhile. However...DH convinced me to move up the trip that I had originally planned to take with my mom and the kids in 2014 to this year.

So, I am going to take the crew back to AoA - this time staying at The Lion King section Dec. 1-7. The kids have NO idea and I will have to do my sewing on the sly...no telling them until at least Thanksgiving is the plan!

Sandi S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #3491
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi S View Post
Hey ladies - I'm popping back in. Since we went on our trip last August, I pretty much went right back to work and then got really bogged down with teaching and doing contract assessment writing...and I was a bit depressed that Disney was over for awhile. However...DH convinced me to move up the trip that I had originally planned to take with my mom and the kids in 2014 to this year.

So, I am going to take the crew back to AoA - this time staying at The Lion King section Dec. 1-7. The kids have NO idea and I will have to do my sewing on the sly...no telling them until at least Thanksgiving is the plan!
Welcome back, Sandi!

I totally get the post-Dis sadness! We went that first week in December last year and it was amazing! We surprised our kids as part of Christmas. You will have a blast! (And, I think that's the same week Flora will be there, too!). Can't wait to see all your creations!

Regards,
C.

WDW - Annually 1976-1986 with parents and sibs. * WDW - 1996 * WDW - 2002 * WDW - 2003 - SWW (ASMo) * WDW - 2004 - Got Engaged in MK. * DL - 2005 - First Anniversary trip. * DLP - 2006 - DL Paris! (NBC) * WDW - 2007 - Announced pregnancy. (CSR) * DL - 2010 - First trip with kids.. * WDW - 2011 - 3 kids and grandparents. (ASMo) * WDW - 2012 - 11/25-12/3 - Christmas Decorations! (CBR) * WDW - 2014 - 11/30-12/7 - Christmas Trip #2! (POR)
ivey_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:43 AM   #3492
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:

Welcome back and how exciting about the trip. I have been a few times during that week and it is a hit or miss for weather. Most times were gorgeous but it can be freezing cold. I know you will have lots of fun ! We surprised our kids going to Dl and it was awesome.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:51 AM   #3493
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:

OOOOOOOh... we are also going from Nov 30 to Dec 10...
The week after Thanksgiving is our usual week of going...but after this year my daughter will be in high school...so I think the handwriting is going to be on the wall for us soon... We are staying at POFQ that trip. Maybe we will see you there!

Nini

Mom to Brianna and Damien
Grandma to Alyssa and Amelia
My four little reasons for Disney

Etsy id: QuiltsbyNini
http://quiltsbynini.blogspot.com/

2012? No Problem...but when?

NiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #3494
cogero
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sandi you were missed. Glad you have another trip planned. Can't wait to see what you create for this trip.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #3495
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Sorry I haven't been on much. It was a busy weekend. I am going to try to catch up but I'm sure I have missed lots of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post

I love both baby gifts. They are adorable. The peasant dress does look big for a 7 month old but it sounds like she is a big baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
A few changes in my status from my last post. Aunt wants machine back so no machine for me. Plus, My Dad picked up a machine "on the side of the road" and now, somehow, he is getting my Singer too. I guess that gives me a new thing to "yard sale" for this year.

I think not getting your aunt's machine might be for the best. Keep an eye out on Craigslist and maybe you will luck into something with all the parts. I love your new vintage machine. I hope you can get it up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post

First, we have a shirt for a Give:

Since it is snowing outside, I decided I want to make a pair of long pants. This is a pair of adult Easy Fits with some Disney fun

With the snow (we are expecting like 4 inches of snow), I also thought it would be nice to make something for spring so I can look forward to warmer temperatures. I figured one can never be too old for butt ruffles so I made this using Lisa's Audery Ruffle skirt pattern:

Wow you sure have been busy. I love the Big Give stuff and your Lucy halter top is adorable. I would love to be able to get away with a butt ruffle skirt but my daughters would die if I went out in public in a skirt of any kind. They are embarrassed enough by me in my jeans. Of course at 12 and 13, they are embarrassed just having a mother.

Quote:

Gennie
I think I'd do string backpacks for the older kids. My girls might have liked crayon roll ups at 9 and 10 but they would have preferred the bags more.

Quote:

Hi Sandi! Welcome back! I check in on your blog from time to time because I love to see your wonderful sewing. Also, your kiddos pop up very frequently on Sewing Pattern Review. We are staying at AoA this summer.

I have done only a tiny bit of sewing. I am starting to get bogged down with bat mitzvah details. We worked on the programs over the weekend and also did our first table seating charts. Of course the kids want me to move a million people around so I will be re-doing it.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: