Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #1021
Hannikins
Mouseketeer
 
Hannikins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 239

just packing and my husband is panicking.

He's got a shirt and is planning on 'borrowing' a jacket since we've run out of room in the suitcase. However he's not sure about trousers. Can he wear smart black jeans, or do they have to be dress pants?
__________________
Current: April 2013 - Food Report
Current: April 2013 - Our Last Hurrah
Trippie: DLP & London October 2013

Previous Trips: DLP 2006 (off site) WDW 2009 (POR & enclave suites) DLP 2010 (HNY) California 2011(off site) DLP 2012 (SL)

Last edited by Hannikins; 04-14-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Hannikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #1022
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
 
jedijill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannikins View Post
just packing and my husband is panicking.

He's got a shirt and is planning on 'borrowing' a jacket since we've run out of room in the suitcase. However he's not sure about trousers. Can he wear smart black jeans, or do they have to be dress pants?
He'll need dress pants. No jeans allowed. Can he wear the jacket on the plane? I know several men who do that to save suitcase space.

Jill in CO
__________________
jedijill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #1023
2manypets
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,117

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manypets View Post
Thanks to this thread, I decided to bite the bullet and made reservations for Queen Victoria's room for our 25th anniversary in September.

I also have a question about outfits to wear. Usually I'm very casual so I don't have a lot of dresses other than sundresses. I do, however, have a floor length, spaghetti strap gown for those ever so often formal events. Would that be over doing it, or should I buy a LBD?

One more question, my DH is more of an eat and run kind of guy. Can the servers adjust the timing between courses? I know he'll love the experience, but he gets bored easily.
Trying this one more time...
__________________
2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #1024
DrGaellon
Disney Fan - Westgate Owner
 
DrGaellon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Yonkers NY
Posts: 333

I've only eaten there once, but my understanding is that more formal is better than less.

Timing can be adjusted, within limits. This is not a meal to rush through.
__________________
GayDays visits: 2002 (CBR), 2006 (Regal Sun), 2007 (Regal Sun), 2008 (WGL), 2009 (WGL), 2010 (WGL), 2011 (WGTC)
Other WDW visits: Jul 1983 (motel), Dec 2006 (motel), Dec 2008 (WGL), Jan 2010 (WGL), Oct 2012 (WGTC), Mar 2013 (WGTC), Dec 2013 (WGTC), Dec 2014 (WGTC)
DrGaellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #1025
poohlover4life
Mouseketeer
 
poohlover4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 79

Hello all! I have wanted to eat at this resturant for YEARS! But my husband and I are on a fixed income and were not able to. Well this year I have the money and am wondering if we should do it. But I have some questions and this seemed like the perfect place to ask them!
1) How dressy are we talking? My hubby HATES to dress up are khakis ok?
2) I know its a long meal from what I've heard but how long are we talking? 2,3,4 hours?
3)I am a HUGE wine fan but my husband is sort of picky about wine. Should we go for the pairing or just pick a bottle we both like and call it a day? Are the pairs really exciting?
4) I know there are several courses from what I've read. Are they ALL good or are some great but others ok?
I need everyones widsom here thoughs? Help lol?
__________________
(me) (dh) (puppy toby)
poohlover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #1026
engle
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,112

I would say no to khakis. We are talking pretty dressy. My husband always wears a suit and is not over dressed. And I would say around 3 hours average. The wine pairing is a must do. If you like wine even remotely, you will love the pairings. And every course in my opinion is amazing. Do it. You will not be disappointed.
engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #1027
2manypets
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,117

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGaellon View Post
I've only eaten there once, but my understanding is that more formal is better than less.

Timing can be adjusted, within limits. This is not a meal to rush through.
Thank you!
__________________
2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #1028
poohlover4life
Mouseketeer
 
poohlover4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by engle View Post
I would say no to khakis. We are talking pretty dressy. My husband always wears a suit and is not over dressed. And I would say around 3 hours average. The wine pairing is a must do. If you like wine even remotely, you will love the pairings. And every course in my opinion is amazing. Do it. You will not be disappointed.
Thank you so much!!! I am so happy I found this thread I was so wanting to ask questions about this amazing place! I think we will give it a try Thank you so much for your wonderful, and VERY helpful, answers.
__________________
(me) (dh) (puppy toby)
poohlover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #1029
Pygoplites
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitomo View Post
Congratulations Pink5683! This is my first post on these boards so pardon if this is too broad of a question, but I have a three day platinum plan for December. I have been to Disney a lot and except for Victoria and Alberts I believe I have eaten at all the signature restaurants. We are staying at the GF too. What are your thoughts on eating there twice in 4 nights?
I have 2 meals at V&A booked for my trip in June. In fact, I almost always eat there twice during my vacations. Because there are so many choices (including ordering some courses off of the vegetarian menu). I don't find the experience repetitive at all. For one meal, I'll sometimes do a food-pairing (basing my selection of courses off of a great bottle of wine) and then do V&A's wine pairing with the second meal.
Pygoplites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #1030
Pygoplites
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohlover4life View Post
Hello all! I have wanted to eat at this resturant for YEARS! But my husband and I are on a fixed income and were not able to. Well this year I have the money and am wondering if we should do it. But I have some questions and this seemed like the perfect place to ask them!
1) How dressy are we talking? My hubby HATES to dress up are khakis ok?
2) I know its a long meal from what I've heard but how long are we talking? 2,3,4 hours?
3)I am a HUGE wine fan but my husband is sort of picky about wine. Should we go for the pairing or just pick a bottle we both like and call it a day? Are the pairs really exciting?
4) I know there are several courses from what I've read. Are they ALL good or are some great but others ok?
I need everyones widsom here thoughs? Help lol?
1) Somewhat contrary to what others have posted, not everyone is super dressed up. Many men wear blazers and slacks (even dressy khakis) and collared shirts without ties. I usually get very dressed up, however (just short of black tie).

2) A meal in the main dining room is usually just short of three hours, in my experience. The courses are well-paced; I've never felt they were too slow or too fast.

3). I am a major wine geek and find that the wine pairings are generally spot-on, but not particularly memorable. The wines are mostly "value-oriented," but well-chosen. For the money, the pairings are an excellent deal (especially considering the generous pours). However, they do have an excellent wine list that rewards knowledgeable patrons with some wonderful "gems," such as ultra-high-end wines (mostly $500 and up) at less than current auction/retail prices (especially some of their Burgundies). You can also bring your own wine. Their corkage fee is reasonable. I bring my own wine about 50% of the time, but I also make sure that what I'm bringing isn't on their list.

4). Your question about the quality of the courses is purely subjective. I will say this: after numerous dinners at V&A, the worst thing I ever ate would still count as "good." And the best things have been "knock your socks off perfection." V&A is as good or better than just about any 1 or 2 Michelin starred places I've eaten. At times, it even nudges into 3-star territory.
Pygoplites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #1031
poohlover4life
Mouseketeer
 
poohlover4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygoplites View Post
1) Somewhat contrary to what others have posted, not everyone is super dressed up. Many men wear blazers and slacks (even dressy khakis) and collared shirts without ties. I usually get very dressed up, however (just short of black tie).

2) A meal in the main dining room is usually just short of three hours, in my experience. The courses are well-paced; I've never felt they were too slow or too fast.

3). I am a major wine geek and find that the wine pairings are generally spot-on, but not particularly memorable. The wines are mostly "value-oriented," but well-chosen. For the money, the pairings are an excellent deal (especially considering the generous pours). However, they do have an excellent wine list that rewards knowledgeable patrons with some wonderful "gems," such as ultra-high-end wines (mostly $500 and up) at less than current auction/retail prices (especially some of their Burgundies). You can also bring your own wine. Their corkage fee is reasonable. I bring my own wine about 50% of the time, but I also make sure that what I'm bringing isn't on their list.

4). Your question about the quality of the courses is purely subjective. I will say this: after numerous dinners at V&A, the worst thing I ever ate would still count as "good." And the best things have been "knock your socks off perfection." V&A is as good or better than just about any 1 or 2 Michelin starred places I've eaten. At times, it even nudges into 3-star territory.
Thank you so much for your wonderful answers. I am so grateful for all the help!
__________________
(me) (dh) (puppy toby)
poohlover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #1032
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!
 
Skylarr29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,051

Anyone know if booking for the Chef's Table is at 180 + 10, or only 180? We only have one night of our vacation to fit this in so we have one shot. If not we will book the Queen Victoria room.
__________________
Married at Disney 10/15/08 DVC members since '08 (DS) (DD) (DD) (DD)




Skylarr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #1033
pink5683
Mouseketeer
 
pink5683's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 115

It was 180+10 with a resort reservation when I made my reservation last week.
__________________
Me (30) DH (33) and DS (6)

pink5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #1034
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!
 
Skylarr29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,051

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink5683 View Post
It was 180+10 with a resort reservation when I made my reservation last week.
Thank you!
__________________
Married at Disney 10/15/08 DVC members since '08 (DS) (DD) (DD) (DD)




Skylarr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #1035
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?
 
t_daniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OK
Posts: 3,835

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manypets

Trying this one more time...
From what people tell me, LBD would be fine.

I searched for V&A trip relax reports, to see what people wore, too. :-)
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Target Savings Thread Whitty Budget Board 1016 04-18-2011 04:52 PM
Disney Picture of the Day Thread - June 12, 2009 WeatherbySwann Theme Parks Community 3744 02-01-2010 06:48 PM
The 2009 Vero Beach Adoration and INFO thread MiaSRN62 DVC-Mousecellaneous 1502 01-18-2010 07:38 PM
8/15/09-Eastern-Tortola Treasure Seekers:Kids thread AL'N'STEVE Disney Cruise Meets 221 08-22-2009 06:47 PM
The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP) TigerKat Community Board 3231 08-02-2009 12:39 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: