Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
gardengirl2790
Mouseketeer

We visited last August, and my teenage daughter loved it. We spent about 2hrs. there. I'm glad we spent the time, there was a lot to see and learn. It is definitely a museum though. What's nice is its location on the Presidio. If you have another adult with you, they could always take your 5 year old on a walk outside and let you look longer. You can also take free shuttles that run the Presidio over to the Golden Gate bridge and visitor center. We did that too.

Also, LucasFilm has offices on the Presidio. You can see a Yoda Fountain and some life-sized models of different Star Wars characters in the lobby. Ou daughter is a Star Wars fan so we did this too.
gardengirl2790 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #17
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl2790 View Post
We visited last August, and my teenage daughter loved it. We spent about 2hrs. there. I'm glad we spent the time, there was a lot to see and learn. It is definitely a museum though. What's nice is its location on the Presidio. If you have another adult with you, they could always take your 5 year old on a walk outside and let you look longer. You can also take free shuttles that run the Presidio over to the Golden Gate bridge and visitor center. We did that too.

Also, LucasFilm has offices on the Presidio. You can see a Yoda Fountain and some life-sized models of different Star Wars characters in the lobby. Ou daughter is a Star Wars fan so we did this too.
Is LucasFilm within walking distance? DD would love this. She was a Star Wars geek at 3.5. LOL
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #18
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girimama33 View Post
Kerri,
Make sure you pre-purchase Alcatraz tickets at least 2 weeks beforehand. They never have any ferrys available the day of. Sounds like a fun way to celebrate your birthday!

I am so torn...I think we are going to go for it. DH can hopefully keep DD occupied in areas she likes while I check out the rest. I really want to see the SW exhibit before it goes away...This is the last weekend for it.
I think you should go. My family has been twice, and we have seen the Snow White exhibit. My boys are 13 and 11. Younger DS does get bored after about an hour to an hour and a half at any museum. There were things for him to look at though as the rest of us actually read the placards. My guess is that your five-year-old will get bored, but if she's well-behaved and your husband is willing to keep her entertained some, you should definitely get some time to take in the exhibits. Figure out which parts of the museum your child gravitates toward, and just have DH take extra time at those places while you continue on. There's also a gift shop that interested DS11 some since he likes to wander through stores. Also, there is a big grassy area outside the museum, and you have a great view of the Golden Gate bridge, so you can always have your DH, if he's willing, take your daughter outside for a while for a change of scenery; re-entry is allowed. There are benches and tables close to the museum as well, and we ate our packed lunches there. The Snow White exhibit was nice but somehow smaller than I expected. We spent about an hour at it. There is a $10 upcharge.
longtimedisneylurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #19
mysteriouspnai
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is LucasFilm within walking distance? DD would love this. She was a Star Wars geek at 3.5. LOL
It's about a 12 minute walk, so I think it's doable. However I've never done it myself, so I don't really know. I went off of google maps :D
mysteriouspnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #20
Girimama33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriouspnai View Post
It's about a 12 minute walk, so I think it's doable. However I've never done it myself, so I don't really know. I went off of google maps :D
Thanks for checking!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #21
Disney Enabler
It's a great day to be alive!

This weekend should be busy at the Museum. It is the final weekend for the Snow White Exhibit. In addition there is a lecture at 3:00 on Saturday, The Artistic Vision of Snow White. If your daughter gets bored in the Museum you might want to take her to the lower level of the Museum. They have some classrooms there and I believe they are doing some watercolor painting this weekend.

My husband, Michael, will be at the Museum on Saturday. Look for him in his DisUnplugged shirt. If you listen to the Disneyland Edition of the DIS then you will have heard him talk about the Museum.

Hope you have a great time.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!
Disney Enabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #22
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Kerri,
Make sure you pre-purchase Alcatraz tickets at least 2 weeks beforehand. They never have any ferrys available the day of. Sounds like a fun way to celebrate your birthday!

I am so torn...I think we are going to go for it. DH can hopefully keep DD occupied in areas she likes while I check out the rest. I really want to see the SW exhibit before it goes away...This is the last weekend for it.
Thanks, that's my plan! I want to be sure I have the tickets in hand before we go. lol We've tried to go in winter before and it was always sold out.
I think you'll have a great time!

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #23
pinksand
Mouseketeer

A friend told me to bring binoculars to look at the detail(s) in the giant Disneyland diorama. I thought that was a great tip, and then forgot my binoculars.

I'll bring them next time! It's a huge museum - bigger than you think. Allow as much time as possible.
My Stay in the Disneyland Dream Suite

pinksand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #24
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

We went about a year ago with the kids, then ages 6, 8, and 12. The younger two were only really interested in the Disney stuff, not much so about Walt himself. If I were to return, which I plan to, it would be without kids. They loved the room that had all the Disneyland stuff in it, but anything else Disney held their interest for a short time.

About a month or so ago, they began letting visitors take photos inside the museum.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #25
caitlinsdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshirecatty View Post
We're going in May, for the first time--can't wait!! I'm also interested in everyone's replies and tips!
Me too
Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #26
FourM's
Mouseketeer

I went to the museum in May with my sisters. We really enjoyed it, probably spent 4 hours there. That being said, I have 2 daughters (14 &16) that love Disney but I don't think they would have enjoyed it. I liked being able to
take my time and my girls would have rushed me out of there in less than two hours. If you have someone who is willing to distract your daughter while you look it might be worth it, otherwise I'd say skip it until you can come without her. I know my girls at the age of four wouldn't have had the patience to wait around that long for me, they still don't Let us know how it turns out.

DVC-RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
FourM's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #27
Girimama33

I will definitely report about the experience when we return.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #28
Girimama33

I am back from the museum. I agree that it is probably not for kids, but still had a few things DD enjoyed. I really enjoyed the history, and was glad we were able to view the Snow White exhibit.
We arrived about 12:30, and it was not busy. Parking was free, so that was nice. We spent about 3 hours between the two buildings.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: