Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #2611
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

If they do follow through with these plans for all these DVC bldg.'s and such, don't you think the POLY will lose its quiet, relaxing and laid back feel that all the POLY lovers love? It most definitely will become way more crowded and with a 5 story bldg...well...doesn't seem like that will quite fit in. It's going to seem a bit more commercial IMO that is. Disney has so much unused land...why not build a whole new DVC resort and let the other resorts be? make a DVC Island theme somewhere else on the property. Just don't add to an existing resort. Others might disagree but after all I'm reading on how wonderful the POLY already is I say just leave it alone...refurbs are good, perhaps even another quiet pool down near Tahiti and Rapa Nui, just don't crowd the place out, esp with 5 story bldg's !

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #2612
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

I think a 5 story building will be an eyesore and not a good option

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #2613
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Bussing is going to be a huge issue with all these DVC being added. It's already an issue sharing between the three monorail resorts, once DVC at GF opens there's going to be even more people trying to squeeze on an already packed bus, and now add in Poly DVC guests and it's a huge mess. They're going to need to step up monorail service as well. I don't know if they really thought this through. They're trying to cut transportation services, but people paying top dollar at the three premium resorts are going to expect top notch for their money.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #2614
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyusc View Post
Hey everyone!

First time staying at the Poly for Food & Wine in October.. first time back to WDW since I was in High School, and first time at WDW since I was a DL/DCA Cast Member.. Can. Not. Wait!!
I just got back and am still smiling

You will love it! Enjoy the countdown, it is half the fun!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #2615
ocalla
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad we decided to try Poly this year and not wait until the future. But now I'm worried that I'm going to love it, and then it will change

I do hope that all the DVC construction goes smoothly...............if and when it's gets started.
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal 11/14 - AoA 12/14 - Disney Soccer Showcase
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie:cat
Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #2616
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

I find it strange that the plans for DVC are so scattered around the resort. I mean....it makes sense to remove the luau building and make that end of the resort DVC as it is closest to the GF DVC expansion. Why then change Tahiti and add bungalows on that end??? Makes more sense to change up Aotearoa/Fiji/Tuvalu and keep all the DVC on that side of the marina. I also seriously doubt the bungalows over the water will ever come to fruition. Who would want to stay in them with the constant Ferry horn and boat horns. I also see the liability insurance for those units being really high. Can you imagine the lawsuit possibilities?

I do like the idea of an added pool with a lazy river like Aulani. I also think they better solve the monorail issues and/or get a pedestrian bridge built to connect the GF to MK or transportation will become a nightmare. JMHO

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #2617
kpitarresi
Earning My Ears

WooHoo!!! I just paid off our 1st ever Disney vacation. 50 more days and we will be chillin at the Poly. I hope it is as magical as I remembered it when I was a little girl

DH Me DS (6) DS (2)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #2618
wishinuponastar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpitarresi
WooHoo!!! I just paid off our 1st ever Disney vacation. 50 more days and we will be chillin at the Poly. I hope it is as magical as I remembered it when I was a little girl
That's awesome!! You will have a wonderful time and looovvvveee the Poly! My family and i will be there may 28 to june 3. This will be our 6th trip to the poly ... Congrats on your trip and enjoy!

Me DH DS DD
Old 04-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #2619
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post
I'm so glad we decided to try Poly this year and not wait until the future. But now I'm worried that I'm going to love it, and then it will change

I do hope that all the DVC construction goes smoothly...............if and when it's gets started.
We are the same way. We are staying at the Poly for the first time this September(might be our last) All the changes sound so wonderful for the most part. I just dont know if we could ever afford it again. Only time will tell.

Have a great trip and I hope you dont love it to much Just Kidding

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-AOA,BLT,WL (DS 1st MVMCP)
Old 04-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #2620
latexscooter
Be nice even if it takes some effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post

That's exactly how I feel.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #2621
pixie921
DIS Veteran

We are longtime Poly fans and have stayed there more times than any other resort over the years. Ds went to the Neverland Club every trip from age 5 'til 12 (he's 20 now). We also owned DVC for several years (have since sold).

The plans for the changes to the Poly make me nothing but sad. The thought of the loss of the Neverland Club and potentially the beautiful water feature in the lobby depress me. I hate that Disney is shoving DVC into every nook and cranny that they can. Some things are better left alone IMHO, though of course, I know lots of people don't agree.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #2622
Al and Kate's Mom
DIS Veteran
Thanks for sharing the drinks and fun

Holy Cow! I just upgraded our sisters' October trip to the Poly - I. CAN'T. WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trips: 1989-offsite; 1990-offsite; 1991-Disney Inn; 2005-ASMo; 2005-CBR; 2006-POP; 2008-ASMu;2008-POFQ; 2010-POFQ; 2010-CSR; 2011-Poly; 2012-BWI/Bonnet Creek; 2013-Emerald Island; 2014-POFQ; 2015-Windsor Hills; 2015-DLR; 2015-BWI
Old 04-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #2623
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfor4 View Post
Just listened! Every one on this board needs to go listen to ASAP! Sounds like DVC is starting at the end of the year. They're going to remove the luau building, build a t-shaped 5 story DVC building on that side of the beach, build the bungalows over the lagoon by the TTC, turn Tahiti into DVC, remove the laundry/ adventurer's club to add a new pool with a lazy river like Aluani, remove the parking lot in that area to expand, potentially build a parking garage, and potentially remove the water feature in the lobby. The potential date for all of this will be 2017. Which seems far away but WOW these are huge changes. I'm worried about our family staying at the Poly during the construction and will it even be the same resort after almost everything is changed? Frankly I don't understand the need for so many DVC's, I guess it's a money maker. But I'm amazed at how many people commit to that large of an expense. I guess if I was DVC I would be excited but I'm not. Although there have been things that Disney has changed that I have been skeptical about but I usually end up always loving it. All of these changes are going to need some major pixie dust.
Based on this preliminary information, how worried should we be about staying at the Poly this January? Would construction likely be visible by that point or will they likely still just be surveying/not making noise?

Wanted to stay at the Poly this time around since it will have been almost ten years, but maybe we should go back to the GF...
YC GV- January 2015, GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 04-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #2624
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
Bussing is going to be a huge issue with all these DVC being added. It's already an issue sharing between the three monorail resorts, once DVC at GF opens there's going to be even more people trying to squeeze on an already packed bus, and now add in Poly DVC guests and it's a huge mess. They're going to need to step up monorail service as well. I don't know if they really thought this through. They're trying to cut transportation services, but people paying top dollar at the three premium resorts are going to expect top notch for their money.

Why is Disney doing this???!!! Really? The Poly and the other monorail resorts should be left alone IMO. I think there are going to be a lot of very disappointed people after all is said and done. Like I said in my previous post, build a "NEW" DVC resort.Adding to the others will be a mistake. People love the POLY as it is. They already did GF and CR...now just build a whole new DVC with its own monorail perhaps !

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #2625
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

We will be spending 1 very special night at the Poly the weekend of May 25th. It is my treat to myself to celebrate a very big birthday. We will not have park days while we are there and our flight home isn't until after 8 pm so we plan on spending 2 FULL days utilizing this resort for all it's wonderful things since it's costing over $500 for 4 of us to squeeze into 1 Standard room haha

My question is, can I fax in a room request before our arrival? If so, how do I go about doing this? And what should I request? I haven't stayed at the Poly since a family vacation in 1985 or 1986. We booked a Standard Room and there will be 4 of us staying in it... 3 adults and 1 child. I know I'd like a refurbished room and a balcony. Do certain buildings have rooms that are bigger than others?

Thanks in advance for your advice/guidance!

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: