Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #76
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Great start!!!

We've never stayed at WL but we did make it over there on our last trip for dinner at Artist Point. We absolutely fell in love with the Territory Lounge. Brucie, our bartender, was one of the best we've ever had the pleasure of meeting at any WDW resort and those little Drunken Doughnuts after dinner were pure heaven!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #77
jecskc
DIS Veteran

So I am back home from Disney myself and I have been getting my TR and DR started and getting the laundry done, catching up with work, etc. I finally get some time to catch up on TR's and Dining Reviews and this ??? A CLIFFHANGER ??? Hahaha. Can't wait to read what happens. Loving your DR so far !!

I know my DH would love Artist point, but we rarely eat at signatures because the kids are so picky.
jecskc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #78
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

I'm so sorry that the soup was so salty! I had it in November and it was delicious...hopefully (and sadly for you) it was just an off batch.

Jill in CO
Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #79
jabead
DIS Veteran

Dinner at Artist Point - Part II

At the end of Part I, I presented you with a picture of this very important entree...

But I haven't yet told you what we thought of it.

Well, our unanimous rating was...

5/5

The salmon was delicious as usual...we all loved it, not a bit left on our plates. In fact, DH was done with his 1/2 share rather quickly and started eyeing the salmon on my plate. Wanting to save a little room for dessert, I caved and gave him probably a 1/3 of my salmon.

But before moving on to our dessert, I need to say one more thing regarding our entree. While the salmon was perfect and deserved the rating of 5, the side dishes which accompanied the salmon this time would probably only rate a 2 or 3. I'm sorry but I just don't consider puree a bona fide side dish, unless it's for a baby. I can recall serving up many a jar of pureed squash to my three kids when they were babies...I think maybe one even liked it. Now of course, the Artist Point version was I'm sure much tastier than Gerber's. The problem here is that it paled in comparison to what was served with the salmon during my last visit to Artist Point.

Cedar Plank-roasted Columbia River Wild King Salmon served with
Contemporary Nišoise, Eggplant Caviar, Heirloom Tomatoes, Quail Egg, and Meyer Lemon A´oli

Mmmm...now that was a great side dish and one that I actually ate, instead of just taking a few bites (or sips since the puree did not actually require the use of teeth).

Ok, in the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

So let's move on now. DH said he was full and wanted to go back to our room to watch a basketball game so that left the three of us to choose our one shared dessert from this menu...

The only dessert which we were all three able to agree on was the cobbler. However, the deliberations did not end there. DD wanted to substitute vanilla ice cream for the black raspberry, while DS was adamant that we stick with the raspberry. So in the interest of world peace, or Disney World anyway, I attempted to propose a compromise to our server, "Could we maybe have the cobbler with two small scoops of ice cream, one black raspberry and one vanilla?" He gave me an odd look, nodded his head and walked away, only to return a minute or so later to say that we could have the cobbler with either two small scoops of vanilla or the one large scoop of raspberry that it normally comes with. Hmm...I think you are missing the point here. Ok, let me take a different approach..."Do you offer vanilla ice cream as a dessert on the Kids menu?" "Yes", he replied. "Then bring us the Cobbler dessert (as it is listed on the menu) plus the Kid's vanilla ice cream dessert."

And that is exactly what we got...

Artist Point Cobbler with Seasonal Berries and House-made Black Raspberry Ice Cream & a scoop of vanilla ice cream served separately
Our Unanimous Rating 5/5

And in case you were wondering, that scoop of vanilla ice cream cost me $3.00 but was worth every penny since it prevented me from having to choose sides. DD of course preferred the vanilla ice cream with the cobbler, while DS raved about the black raspberry. I told them that I thought both flavors tasted equally delicious with the cobbler, but just between you and me ...the black raspberry was the winner here!

So although this meal got off to a shaky start, it ended up being solidly good.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - #3
- and - APRIL 2014 REVIEW - My Solo Birthday Trip

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan

Last edited by jabead; 04-13-2013 at 11:35 PM.
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #80
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Glad to know the salmon redeemed the meal! That's a pathetic portion for the soup.... and it's still $10?? That's too bad that it was a disappointment.

But that cobbler! Awesome!

I'm with your DS, I love the bread with the butter.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #81
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

What a disappointment on the soup! My serving in October was the same as your previous one not this one...

Now with all the salt though maybe it was better to have a small portion?

I am not a salmon fan so I wouldn't be going for that but the soup.. oh man.. I'm sad now!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #82
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

I'm on a cliff on this one and I think the cobbler would make me tumble over the edge. I love the idea of Artist Point but I don't like salmon and it seemed to be the best option but honestly your son's chicken looked delicious. But I think I would have been very sad to pay 10.00 for that dollop of soup.

I've been chuckling over Miss Benedict and Mr. Arnold all morning.
Can't wait to hear more.
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #83
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Barb, just got caught up and I can't help laugh that you and your DH ended up doing most of the driving. Chase just got his license yesterday and he promises he will do some of the driving on our upcoming trip, but I'm guessing he will also be sleeping while I'm driving.

Everything you guys ate at WCC looks delicious. I must try it someday if we ever stay at WL.

I'm so sad the salad has changed at Artist Point. I really loved it last time I ate there. And hopefully the salty soup was just an error of the chef on that night. Glad you and your family loved the salmon and the cobbler.

Can't wait to see what else you've got in store for us.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #84
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

The salmon does look quiet good, need to put that on my bucketlist!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #85
jabead
DIS Veteran

During the very busy last week of March, Magic Kingdom opened at 7:00 each day for its resort guests. Yes, that's a.m., which in terms of vacation time, stands for "absolutely mad" when it's preceded by numbers such as 5 (the time I got up that morning ), 6, or 7. But being the Disney-wise person that I am (and my kids would probably say a little sadistic ), I somehow convinced my family that we needed to be at Magic Kingdom at park opening on the first full day of our trip.

And so here is a picture taken at the Wilderness Lodge bus stop at approximately 6:40 a.m. on Sunday morning, March 24th.

Can you hear the crickets chirping?

A couple of minutes after this picture was taken, a bus rolled up and we and one other "absolutely mad" family boarded. We were off to Magic Kingdom to "open the gates and seize the day!" (Bonus points for anyone who gets that Disney reference. )

Not long after 7:00, my kids took this picture of themselves in front of the castle with the sun rising in the background. They of course immediately sent this to their sister back in Illinois, where it was just after 6:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning. And they call me sadistic?!?!

By 8:00 a.m. when the park opened to the general public, we had already seen the "Enchanted Tales with Belle" show and walked on to the Little Mermaid ride. Since we had only had coffee up to this point, we decided we could afford to take a short breakfast snack break at...

DS chose a chocolate croissant and a chocolate milk to wash it down (sorry no pic, he ate it too fast ), while the rest of us shared these...

Cinnamon roll and LeFou's Brew

Check out the head on that brew!

Anyway, the place was completely empty but it was also dark and very cold, so we decided to take our breakfast outside to eat.

Now I'm sure I'm probably the last person on these boards to taste LeFou's Brew, but on the off chance that there is someone out there that hasn't yet, here is my description of this beverage. LeFou's Brew is frozen apple juice with just a hint of toasted marshmallow and topped off with passion fruit and mango foam. The four of us drank all that we wanted from this one glass and we still ended up throwing out some. So for us, it was just ok and being $4.49 for a cup of frozen apple juice, it's not something that we will likely be getting again.

As for our assessment of the cinnamon roll...we agreed it was a little dry and needed more icing. That one dollop in the middle just didn't do it for us. Oh, and in case you are interested, DS had a small bite of our roll and said his chocolate croissant was better. The rest of us can not attest to this though, because he ate it all before we had a chance to ask for a taste.

So in conclusion, even though Gaston's Tavern did not quite measure up to my expectations, after posting countless pictures of LeFou's Brew on the Live Thread I am very happy that I finally got to try it for myself.

Next up: Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - #3
- and - APRIL 2014 REVIEW - My Solo Birthday Trip

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan

Last edited by jabead; 04-14-2013 at 04:05 PM.
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #86
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Hi Barb! I can take your place and say that I am the last person on the dining board who has not tried the brew. I don't think I'm going to rush to get in that line either.

So far you've convinced your family to try AP for dinner AND make park open! You are very influential! Great job!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #87
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

I keep hearing that LeFou's Brew is nothing special and at the price point, you're kinda expecting something a bit special. It's too bad they didn't create something unique for this new FL eatery, instead of recycling the DL one. Ah well, it's great that you tried it and now know that it's entirely skip-able.

That cinnamon bun does look dry around the edges! Very different from the icing-soaked goodness of a MSB offering. That sucker can send you into a sugar coma first thing in the morning.

Loved the update Barb, can't wait to read your report on LTT!

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ; Sept/Oct '15-POFQ
MrsB1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #88
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Hi Barb -

We didn't love the Le Fou's brew either. Hoping to try a cinnamon roll next trip but I guess if we do not get the chance, it won't be a big loss.

I think "open the gates & seize the day" is from Newsies, but I admit that I don't know anything else about the play. Being so close to Broadway you would think we would get to see some plays but alas, we do not!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #89
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

You can add us to the LaFou Free Zone. DS is allergic to apple juice and I just don't like it. And I trust my DIS Friends. I figured since I also hated Butter Beer I was fine skipping it. So sad about the cinnamon roll too. I've rarely met a cinnamon roll I didn't like.

And I Newsies! So glad the Broadway hit brought it back to life!
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #90
Li Li
Mouseketeer

Great reference; I love Newsies! But, I am not at all interested in the Broadway version since I found out they changed Denton into a woman! Argh! I'll keep my Christian Bale and Bill Pullman, thank you.

Just wanted to ask a quick question as well...did you take the bus because the boat does not run that early? Thanks!
Li Li is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: