Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
tkelly71
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up Disney Dream April 4-7, 2013

Short 3-night cruise but great way to start for first time cruisers. We were in stateroom 7078, wonderful room, and smack dab mid ship right off the midship elevators. Veranda was wonderful watched the ship dock every morning. Very quiet heard nothing at all. Room has a queen, couch bed and upper berth. Great for three of us, 4 could fit easily if the 4th is patient. Ample storage available. You must unpack and organize things to make room, and then you are more than comfortable.

Day 1- toured the ship and found everything we were looking for. Signed DD and DS up for tween club. Did the spa open house and ended up with a half price full body massage ($139) it was the BEST!! Totally recommend! They scheduled me in right away so I did miss the Sail Away party but the kids attended. Had first fruity drink in souvenir cup. Stopped asking the names of all of them as they were all good, came home with 3 different cups. Drink prices were very fair only hit $10 if you wanted the special cups. Everyday around 4 there was buy one get one specials and cost was about $4.50. Delivered FE gifts needed the space in stateroom and kids were old enough to deliver themselves. This evening was Royal Palace, food was delicious. We met the family we would be eating with for the entire cruise. Disney did a wonderful job of matching us up, two moms, two daughters same age and two sons same age. Neat how they do that.

Day 2- Nassau day- RAIN-thank goodness we did not do the ship excursion to Atlantis or elsewhere, due to rain many guest lost $$$$ as excursion were not cancelled, but they chose not to go. I opted to booked Atlantis on my own via the Comfort Suites deal. Worked out great and was a piece of cake. The cab rides were quite interesting if you’re a thrill seeker. Apparently a pulse is all that is required for a license, and that is questionable. We walked and sat around Atlantis for an hour or so while it rained. As soon as it stopped they opened everything back up and we were in line. Kids didn't think much of Atlantis, lazy river is the best part, we have been too much better water parks, but now we can check that off our bucket list. With three cruise ships plus on site guest it was very very crowded. This night we saw Villians and ate at Animators Palate, this was the best place at least it is our favorite. I love the specialty cocktails that are on each menu, tried them every night.

Day 3- Castaway Cay- this was our favorite day. It took the ship nearly two hours to dock due to weather conditions. Since we were doing the 5 K this put our day way behind schedule. My DD and I were the first off for the 5K and the last back on at the end of the day as we didn't want to lose a minute. We snorkeled, highly recommend this and rode bikes recommend that as well. When snorkeling, the "treasures" are located below the buoy’s, that you have to swim out too. Not for small children, though I saw people trying to do it with them. The bike ride is long but very relaxing. This night was Enchanted Garden, food was also great. Get the prime rib. Check out, packing etc... is a nightmare if you are not prepared. I was not, for some reason I did not realize we all the luggage had to be outside on this night, so after dinner there was a mad rush to pack. We had not yet shopped as every time we had time the shops were not open. So another mad rush to shop and settle the bill which I DO NOT recommend doing on the last night. LONG LINE even at midnight. On top of it all I am not sure our servers know that I had prepaid the gratuity. They left a piece of paper in our stateroom but with the rush of the last day I didn't even look at it. Note if you prepay, they will leave a green paper in your room that tickets for each server to place in their envelopes so they know that you prepaid.

On board all meals were wonderful with the best menu being Animators Palate. My son ate strictly off the kids menu which is the about the same as room service, which he also did at least twice a day. Our servers Jose and Andrei were great. We made one show Villains and absolutely loved it. Hopefully next time we don't do excursions and stay on the ship to do all the activities. Kids did not get to get in any pools or even do the Aquaduck, my bad should not have planned so much. I didn't get to Bingo or check out the adult establishments.

Despite some rough seas we had a wonderful time and it was the best experience of our lives. I rebooked for a seven day western Caribbean on the Fantasy same time next year. Hoping that this works with school schedules if not I'll reschedule on the Dream, which we love.

Disneyland 1979
Disneyland 1991
WDW 2007
Disney Dream- 3 night April 2013
Disney Fantasy-7 Night- April 2014
tkelly71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
bbn1122
DIS Veteran

So, glad you a had a nice time. Now, you have a little DCL experience and your next cruise you will be in the know. Plus, a week long crusie is the best. We did a 7 night first and then a 3 night. I now know I need at least 4 or more.
AKL - Aug 2011,
HHI - August 2012
OKW - August 2014
Vero Beach - August 2014
Magic - West Carib April 2010, 2 night NYC June 2012
Dream - 3 night - August 2011 3 Night Dream - August 2014
bbn1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

Thanks for the review! Good to know about the tip thing. We go on our first cruise in August (4 night Dream). We are trying the CS Atlantis thing, too. Glad to hear it worked out well for you!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

I always tell anyone asking to go for a four day if possible (but obviously a three day works if that's all you can do). The four day gives you that day at sea and you have more time for "ship" stuff. The Aquaduck will be crowded as will the pools but the stores are open and you can relax a lot more. I hope you can swing the 7-day in your schedule as that is even more relaxing with most cruisers a bit more laid back. And I actually love the Fantasy more than the Dream but again, any DCL ship is better than none!!
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: