Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #16
petbren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkpark View Post
Enjoying your report. We are doing our first cruise next March and plan on doing one DVC night before too. Happy to hear how much you got done! I still don't know how to quote from my phone - but did you say for $149 you get a CD with just your favorite 10 pictures? OUCH
Yes, you read that right. The prices went 10 for $149, 20 for $249,$349 for CD with all images, and $399 for CD and all the prints they had printed for you. You find these in your personal booklet.
We weren't going to get the CD, but went for the smallest package and are happy with it. We also bought a cute frame/booklet with the characters with signatures on the front that opens up. Inside there is a photo of The Fantasy, and a spot for your own 8X10. I think it was an extra $14.95. I will try to post a photo of it later.
When DH went to pick up the CD he said there was a woman in front of him whose photo bill was almost $1000

BTW...I just booked our next DVC trip for March 2014 tonight
I tried to talk DH into August this year but he said "NO MORE BIG TICKET TRIPS THIS YEAR`` Party pooper
AKV-KIDANI 2014 Fantasy E.Carib.20132011 HHI 2011 BWV 2009 BCV/OKW for F&W Festival, 2008 AKV,2007 1st trip home BWV 2006 Pop Century 2004 Polynesian 1991 Caribbean Beach Resort 1982 Off Site 1977 Off Site
petbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
ChrisParker
Mouseketeer

Oh. Em. Gee. Just saw that your avatar is Dexter!

We have just BOOKED August 9, 2014. Wa-HOOOO!

I just read the prices here for the pics. Sometimes when I see things like that I picture telling my father. I think he would have a coronary at that one but I'm actually thinking that my onboard credit from DU will cover it nicely.

Keep it coming!

Follow us to the Fantasy Pre-Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3099534
ChrisParker is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #18
petbren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParker View Post
Oh. Em. Gee. Just saw that your avatar is Dexter!

We have just BOOKED August 9, 2014. Wa-HOOOO!

I just read the prices here for the pics. Sometimes when I see things like that I picture telling my father. I think he would have a coronary at that one but I'm actually thinking that my onboard credit from DU will cover it nicely.

Keep it coming!
Yea, even serial killers love Mickey
So, you booked Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean for August?
I guess if you think of the Photo CD as 14.99/photo, it doesn't sound so bad
Do you know how many ways I had that onboard credit spent in my mind ? "Oh the onboard credit will pay for the excursion, the credit will pay for the photos, the mixology class, the drink tab etc., etc,etc.............
AKV-KIDANI 2014 Fantasy E.Carib.20132011 HHI 2011 BWV 2009 BCV/OKW for F&W Festival, 2008 AKV,2007 1st trip home BWV 2006 Pop Century 2004 Polynesian 1991 Caribbean Beach Resort 1982 Off Site 1977 Off Site
Old 04-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #19
petbren
DIS Veteran

What the heck is a split bath??

Just a couple notes about the room.

We had a Cat. 4C Family Oceanview with verandah-room #7594.

This room slept 4--Queen bed, pull out sofa and pulldown.

You walk in the room, on the left is a block of closets, you safe is in here. There was quite a bit of room here. The lifejackets take up one top section.
On the left, there is your room card activated light switch. We got around doing this by inserting our CAA card, and leaving it there for the duration.
Next, there are two doors--the "split bath".
I read about some room having, and not having a split bath, but in reality, I had no idea what that meant.
The first door has the toilet, counter and sink, and the second door has the round tub, counter and sink.
Now I know what this is, it's a great idea. Especially with 4 people, 2 could be doing some things at the same time.
The tub was great with the 3 different shower head options, and a place you could sit too.
The queen bed was really comfortable, and I am quite picky about mattresses
DD claimed the pulldown for the duration. I don't think DS would have fit too well.
Our basket from DU had an extension cord, and I had brought one too.
You really do need it, we found as we could plug in the laptop, and various gadget chargers.
The fridge was nice to have. We brought 2 bottles of wine, a wine cooler and a case of diet coke, and a few bottles of water in our carry on, and it all fit in the fridge.
We loved the verandah, and would not cruise without it.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #20
petbren
DIS Veteran

Day 1 (continued)

So, we checked out the room briefly, then headed up to our DIS meet.
Our meet was on Deck 12 forward, by the wading pool,past the aquaLab.
We met a few people from the boards, and saw some more of the ship.

Photos of Deck 11, adult pool/bar area below where our meet was.
We never really got to hang out here, so much to do with the kids. Maybe if we are on a future adult only trip, we would .

By then it was time to head to our munster drill area.

DH had decided to try out the lifejacket before--somehow I don't think he had it quite right.

We were section F, Bona Vista Theater. This was a great assignment as we got comfortable seats and front row.

Maybe, a bit too comfortable.

Don't know what happened to this picture, but you get the general idea.
Somehow, I don't think these two are going to make it if they miss the lifeboat

As the drill was almost over, you got the sense that the ship was moving......we finally are pulling away.

We hurried back to the room, and out to the verandah to watch us pull away.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #21
MeLaNie9
DIS Veteran

I am glad to hear that the GF diet went ok. My son has a dairy allergy and we took our first cruise on the Dream last Aug. I think he was a bit disappointed - his choices for meals in the restaurants and lunch on CC were pretty limited and all of the bread apparently has dairy so he didn't get any at all while on the cruise - they didn't even offer him the GF rolls/buns which he has to have in WDW. I think he enjoyed eating at Cabanas the most. He was happy again when we were at WDW after the cruise and could eat the bread at GG and Wave.

04/1978 CR, 07/1985 CR, 06/1993 DL, 11/2000 ASSp, 05/2006 Poly, 02/2007 YC, 11/2007 CSR, 12/2008 BC, 05/2009 POFQ, 11/2009 Disneyland-GCH, 05/2010 Atlantis launch and CBR, 11/2010 BWI, 05/2012 POR, 08/2012 DCL-Dream and POR, 10/2013 CSR and DCL-Dream, 03/2014 DCL-Magic, 10/2014 Disneyland-DLH, 04/2015 DCL-Wonder
MeLaNie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #22
petbren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLaNie9 View Post
I am glad to hear that the GF diet went ok. My son has a dairy allergy and we took our first cruise on the Dream last Aug. I think he was a bit disappointed - his choices for meals in the restaurants and lunch on CC were pretty limited and all of the bread apparently has dairy so he didn't get any at all while on the cruise - they didn't even offer him the GF rolls/buns which he has to have in WDW. I think he enjoyed eating at Cabanas the most. He was happy again when we were at WDW after the cruise and could eat the bread at GG and Wave.
Sorry your son didn't have good food choices on your cruise. Part of the fun of the trip is always the food. Good to hear he had better luck in WDW.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #23
petbren
DIS Veteran

Back at the room, we ordered room service --2 orders All Hands on Deck--One with crackers, one without.
DD wanted to go up to the Sail Away Party, so just the two of us went up.
It was really crowded, and too "kiddy" she proclaimed, so we went back to room.
About an hour out from Port, it became quite rough. DS said he wasn't feeling well, so I got out the Sea Bands, and thought maybe I should put a pair on as well.
I went about unpacking, and moved up the next step to the chewable Gravol organic ginger. DS said he didn't want that.
We changed for dinner, and my then all four of us were not well, but DD and DH were not too bad.
EG was our first dinner, but by the time we went to dinner, the seas were so rough, we had a hard time walking down the hall without falling over.
We were seated at our table.
I remember sitting across from my DS. He looked and me, I looked at him..........and we got up and left.
We made it back to the room, which was just being turned down.
Long story short, we took a 12 hour gravol, and were both out by 10:30.
I cannot comment on dinner, as we had none
That's the end of Day one.
We did feel better the second day.

More to come.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #24
petbren
DIS Veteran

Darn

I had most of day 2 written last night, but was exhausted and went to bed.
Just finished it now, and when I went to submit, it said my "token" had expired. and everything was gone.

I shall try again.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #25
petbren
DIS Veteran

DAY 2-Day at Sea.

We got up feeling some better, but still kept up with the gravol.

We decided to go to EG for breakfast, but it didn't open 'till 9 and it was 8:30 so opted for RC.
No photos here, but I had a veggie omelet, and it was good.
No GF toast though

Because nobody felt like going out after dinner the night before, the kids hadn't gone to Vibe, so we went up there during the open house, registered them and had a look around. It's a really nice space for teens, but I must say, my kids didn't really go there much.

We then had another look around the ship and tried to get our bearings.
We stopped by the sports deck and tried a game of ping pong.

It was quite cool and windy on deck (the sports deck was sheltered and OK), so we decided to stay dry.

DH went back to the room, and the kids and I played the most expensive Bingo I had ever played. We didn't win anything.

By then it was time for lunch.
We went to Cabanas, and I just ate what I knew would be OK for me..........fruit, seafood, salad plane meat etc.
After that, DD and I went to the Shopping Show. Here, a very perky couple give you all the trips, tricks, and discounts about where to shop and get some good deals.
If you have extra $$ in your pocket you are ready to give up, there are many, many places you can do it.
There seemed to be some very good places to get quality diamond and gemstone jewelry and watches . That was not in our budget.
We hoped to get the "free" bracelet and charm they were giving out, but it turns out, they give you a charm, but you have to visit a number of the stores on the Islands to get the bracelet, and other charms.
We didn't shop in St. Thomas at all, and did go to a few stores in San Juan, so we have 2 cute little cruise ship charms and no bracelet

DH and Ds went to see Wreck-it Ralph, so DD and I went to see Aladdin.
This was a very good show, and Aladdin is one of DD's favourite movies.

Here is a photo of the Buena Vista Theater before the show started as you are not suppose to take pictures during the shows.

We never had a problem getting a seat. We usually got there about 15 minutes before the show. We like sitting up on the balcony the best.

Up next: I finally make it to dinner.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #26
ChrisParker
Mouseketeer

Lookin' good. Keep 'em coming.

Follow us to the Fantasy Pre-Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3099534
ChrisParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #27
petbren
DIS Veteran

Formal Night

We went back to the room to get ready for Formal Night.
The split bath did really come in handy for getting ready.
Our rotation was Royal Court
DS and I met our table mates-a family of 4 from Toronto (1 hour away from us), and our servers.
Our main server-Suntas,from Thailand, and our assistant server Julio from Handuras. They were quite good, and very good with my allergy. They helped me with what I could eat that night, and each night, they gave me the next nights rotation's menu so I could place my order for the next night.

My dinner:

I wanted the escargots , but was told they could have bread crumbs in them. I have read on other posts that GF people have been able to have them, but oh well.
They said they could do the French onion soup, without the bread for me, and it was good. I haven't been able to have it since my diagnosis, as most places, the beef broth is not homemade, and contains wheat.
For my entrée, I had the Beef Tenderloin topped with Garlic Shrimp-----also, really good. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures, except for the dessert.

Dessert-Vanilla Crème Brule (usually comes with an almond biscotti)

This was VERY good.

DS's birthday was March 5, and they were probably planning on doing his birthday song/dessert the night before, but since we weren't there, hard to do.
He wasn't expecting this, so it was kinda of funny.

We cleaned up well for the Formal Night photos.

After dinner, DH had the Cognac Tasting, so he left us.

The ship was quite rockey, again, so I went back to room, took my gravol, and pass out
Whenever I woke up, I could hear the hangers rattling in the closet

Up next: Day 3--another Seat Day.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #28
petbren
DIS Veteran

Day 3 -Day at Sea

I dragged everybody out of bed, and we headed to Enchanted Garden for breakfast.
This is also a buffet, smaller than Cabanas, but quieter, with servers to get your drinks, the coffee is better, and it's just lovely.
Of the 3 restaurants, EG is my favourite.

DD always wanted me to ask if we could sit in one of these booths....I never did, but wish now I had at least asked.

I decided today, I was going to speak to the chef about my GF options.

I decided on

I had hoped for a GF Mickey waffle, but was told they do not have a separate mickey waffle maker, but they did get me these..I think they were Vans. They were OK, a bit soggy.
I also got some assorted fruit, etc. from the buffet.

After breakfast, we decided to do the Midship Detective Agency. DS resisted, didn't want to do it, but knew it wasn't an option--Mom Says Your Doing It. We split up, DD and me ,DS and DH. We both chose Muppets.

Needless to say, we thought it was GREAT. Even DS enjoyed it.

I had read that you should take a picture of the door, and it wasn't until we were almost finished that I figured out it was THIS door.

DUH . That would have saved us much running around. It really was a great way to get to know your way around.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:46 AM   #29
MDennis28
Mouseketeer

What a lovely family you have! Enjoying your trip report. Thank you for posting it.
MDennis28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #30
Mrs Green
Mouseketeer

I'm following. We are on the eastern in February so I'm looking forward to hearing all the details.
Mrs Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: