Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #16
JanL
Native Floridian

I don't think they would allow a shower at the campsite because you can't dump water on the ground. The site where I was had a cement dump sink for grey water, so if you got a solar shower bag (Walmart $7) and left it in the sun on the picnic table, you could stand her over the dump sink and shower her off. You could set up a floorless shower/potty tent (about $40) over the dump sink for privacy. Then where would she stay when Dad uses the men's bath house?

Some of the pop-ups for rent at FW do not have showers, so do your homework.

Are there showers at the pool areas? If so, a swim just before dinner and a quick shower after would do the trick.
JanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #17
colinsdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliputian View Post
I'm wondering how you're going to handle showers. 5 years old is too old for a girl in the men's comfort station, and I don't think any of my children would have been able to manage it all by themselves at 5, unless she's been recently and knows how to do it already. The showers there may not turn on exactly like the showers at your house, and it certainly won't have to be turned to the same spot to make it the perfect temperature for her. I think that part would be overwhelming to a child that age. My 5 year olds do take showers on their own at home, but it's a lot different when it's a new shower, carrying everything you'll need to the comfort station, etc. Renting an RV with a bathroom or getting a cabin might be a better idea.
So the showers are inside the Men's area? At other campgrounds we've been to, the bathrooms are bathrooms, and the showers are separate single doors (first come first served, and not designated as W or M). I kind of assumed Disney would be the same and have private showers. This isn't the case? May be a deal breaker.
My Disney Life Timeline - '73 CR 1st trip 3y/o, '74 Poly, '75 CR, '76 Disneyland, '77-80 (Offsite), '83 DWV, '85 '89 '91 (offsite), May '92 FWR, Mar '97 (BlueTree), Nov '97 (Westgate Lakes), Dec '98 Xmas @ OKW, Jan '00 Disneyland Paris, Sept '01 Trip Cancelled due to 9/11 God Bless America!, Oct '01 Disneyland, Oct '02 (Marriott Grande Vista), Nov '03 (Mystic Dunes), Sept '04 (Sheraton Vistana), May '05 All Star Sports, Nov '05 Disney's HHI, Jan '06 OKW, Oct '06 (Marriott Cypress Harbor), Oct '07 POP, Sept '08 BWV, May '09 VWL, Aug '09 BCV, Aug '10 (Marriott Sabal Palms), Mar '12 (Swan), Oct '13 (Marriott Grande Vista)
colinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #18
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsdad View Post
So the showers are inside the Men's area? At other campgrounds we've been to, the bathrooms are bathrooms, and the showers are separate single doors (first come first served, and not designated as W or M). I kind of assumed Disney would be the same and have private showers. This isn't the case? May be a deal breaker.
I've only been in the women's bathroom but this is how it is set up:

there are 2 sections or rows (a front section closest to the enter / exit door and a back section closest to the back wall)

The front section has sinks on the left and a few toilet stalls on the right including one handicapped stall

The back section has a bench on the left with hooks above it and the private dressing areas & shower stalls on the right.

I googled Ft. Wilderness comfort station and pictures came up that showed the front section on the men's room has 2 urinals between the sinks and the toilet stalls.

If I recall correctly, there is a companion restroom at Pioneer Hall.

Here is a thread about unisex comfort stations not being required by ADA (american disability act):
http://www.disboards.com/archive/ind...t-2530274.html

Here's a thread about the where you can find companion restrooms in WDW and Ft. Wilderness is listed:
http://dailyhomerenotips.com/2011/09...ion-washrooms/

another list of family restrooms at WDW theme parks:
http://www.adisneymomsthoughts.com/2...ney-world.html

Last edited by CarolineB; 03-22-2013 at 02:58 AM.
CarolineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Restrooms do not mean there will be showers in there.

I sure hope you can think of a way to take your DD o The Fort. It sounds like a great bonding experience you'll both remember forever.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
OrlandoUnited
Mouseketeer

If you've ever been to the water parks, the comfort stations are a similar setup. I still wash my kids in the bath, so it's not a big deal for me to clean them. There's plenty of room in there for both of you. Maybe bring a shower curtain with some suction cups so you can partition the area inside the stall?
If the worry is your daughter seeing other people, I've never seen it happen. People tend to treat it as a public area, not like a gym locker room.

As one father to another - you'll be fine.
OrlandoUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
CiCiBee
Living Happily Ever After!

I think some of these people are overthinking the comfort station situation. I think it would be perfectly acceptable for your daughter to go in the shower stall with you. Like a PP said, guys aren't walking around with their junk hanging out (so DH says.) you have every right to take your daughter camping and to enjoy it.

CiCiBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #22
pocomom
Brr.....

Regarding showers and bathrooms I don't know about the tent areas, but if you bus it over to the rv areas their was never anyone in those bathrooms. At 5 my dd could shower on her own just fine, especially if I went in first and just showed her how stuff works. I would just take her in the men's room when it is relatively quiet. I mean it is not like you can leave her somewhere else when you shower.
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #23
Readerbug
Using My Ears

Yay for awesome Dads...and everything, anything, that requires ! There must be so many things I take for granted.
Just find a way to have a wonderful time.

What else do you need to know?

Me, DH edu IT man, 19, 17, 15, 13, 10, 7.
Readerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #24
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

I stay in the cabins so I don't know but are there hoses at the camp site? If there are and the weater is good I would put a baithing suit on her and wash her with the hose - I mean it may not be the most perfect thing but it would work to get a quick head wash and body wash and the soap would go through the swim suit enough. I would hate to see you cancel your trip over that. I can't believe Disney doesn't have some sort of family bathroom/shower etc - I would call them and ask them I mean single parents must travel with their kids.

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: