Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Happy Hannah
Earning My Ears
 
Happy Hannah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 19

Reception at WDW.......

Apologies for being relatively inexperienced traveller to WDW but as a non driver if I need to arrange cabs / taxis can I ask the reception staff to arrange this for us? Or is it easy enough to use a pay phone to contact them? We are from the UK so it's new to us......!!!
Many thanks! :-)
Happy Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
tiger4me2
DIS Veteran
 
tiger4me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hannah View Post
Apologies for being relatively inexperienced traveller to WDW but as a non driver if I need to arrange cabs / taxis can I ask the reception staff to arrange this for us? Or is it easy enough to use a pay phone to contact them? We are from the UK so it's new to us......!!!
Many thanks! :-)
Welcome ! Easy enough, just go down to bell services or valet parking outside the lobby and ask them to call for a cab/ taxi. The taxis are usually outside waiting or nearby. I am basing this on my stays at the deluxe's resorts so it might be different for the others. But I am sure it is the same for all !! Have a great trip !!
tiger4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Marthasor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,059

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger4me2 View Post
Welcome ! Easy enough, just go down to bell services or valet parking outside the lobby and ask them to call for a cab/ taxi. The taxis are usually outside waiting or nearby. I am basing this on my stays at the deluxe's resorts so it might be different for the others. But I am sure it is the same for all !! Have a great trip !!
This is correct at all resorts. Simply go outside and ask valet or bell services to call a cab for you - should take 5 minutes, tops! We've done this at BC, BWI, AoA, Dolphin and POR.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
NYUBwayBaby
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: home-VA, school-NYC
Posts: 109

As the others said, yep, they'll get you cabs! We stayed at Pop 15 months ago and went out to grab a cab to go to IoA. Took maybe three to five minutes to get there.
NYUBwayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
BuffaloJim
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 112

But you may not need a taxi anyways. If you're traveling inside WDW, they have the monorail, buses, and boats, depending upon where you're staying and where you're going.
BuffaloJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer
 
pamkat1820's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Haven CT
Posts: 426

Don't forget if you are trying in a disney resort you have the option of using their transportation to all of the WDW parks & downtown disney. But you can only travel from a park to a resort by bus, the buses do not travel from resort to resort.

Certain resorts offer other means of travel too. Poly, contemporary & GF offer monorail service.

Some others offer boat service to the parks-too certain resorts-too Downtown disney.

Good luck researching.
Welcome !!!
__________________


Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
DanInMN
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 270

And there is the free Disney Magical Express bus to/from the airport.
DanInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran
 
Wood Nymph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 5,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hannah View Post
Apologies for being relatively inexperienced traveller to WDW but as a non driver if I need to arrange cabs / taxis can I ask the reception staff to arrange this for us? Or is it easy enough to use a pay phone to contact them? We are from the UK so it's new to us......!!!
Many thanks! :-)
One of the nicest things about staying in a WDW resort is that they provide free transportation to and from the airport as well as everywhere inside WDW. Most of the transportation will be by bus, but as others have said, there are boats and monorails for some locations. We have never taken a taxi when staying at WDW since there is always a way to get where we want to go using the free transportation.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
~ Sue



Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Tink415
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
One of the nicest things about staying in a WDW resort is that they provide free transportation to and from the airport as well as everywhere inside WDW. Most of the transportation will be by bus, but as others have said, there are boats and monorails for some locations. We have never taken a taxi when staying at WDW since there is always a way to get where we want to go using the free transportation.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Yes, the free transportation is great, and there is always a way to get where you want to go using it, but that transportation is geared to get people to the parks and DD, not resort to resort. I like using taxi's to get from resort to resort to save time (and aggravation). A taxi ride is usually 10-15 minutes anywhere vs 30-90 minutes using free transportation depending on what you're trying to do. Well worth the cost IMHO.
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Happy Hannah
Earning My Ears
 
Happy Hannah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 19

Thanks to all for the replies, all helps to reassure us for the forthcoming trip! Was thinking of taxis for Universal and Seaworld really the travel agent has said that taxis can be arranged via themselves ( think they use Mears) but from what I can understand we have to ring the company to arrange a collection.......if reception can do that for us that would be a great relief :-) once again thanks to all for the help, we are getting excited now!!!!
Happy Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)
 
minnie mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WAY too far north
Posts: 12,235

When I read your OP, I was wondering if you had a trip to US/IOA in mind. If you go over to the Transportation forum you will find a sticky that deals specifically with that subject! Here's a link to the sticky:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2517318

We've used the Mears shuttle in the past.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Happy Hannah
Earning My Ears
 
Happy Hannah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
When I read your OP, I was wondering if you had a trip to US/IOA in mind. If you go over to the Transportation forum you will find a sticky that deals specifically with that subject! Here's a link to the sticky:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2517318

We've used the Mears shuttle in the past.
Thank you
Happy Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Happy Hannah
Earning My Ears
 
Happy Hannah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
When I read your OP, I was wondering if you had a trip to US/IOA in mind. If you go over to the Transportation forum you will find a sticky that deals specifically with that subject! Here's a link to the sticky:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2517318

We've used the Mears shuttle in the past.
That was a great link thank you so much!
Happy Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.