Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #961
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never to old View Post
Yes yes yes, I want to do this one! I am so hoping it doesn't sell out. I also looked into booking outside of Disney, it only saved 24.00 for 2 people. I agree that the savings aren't worth it. Now if I can't book with Disney then I might see if I can get it with someone else. I am wondering if we will have enough time for 2 excursions. I would like to do a whale one.
I just booked this thru DCL a couple weeks ago and we sail 5/27.
If booking 2 excursions thru DCL there has to be 2 hours between the end of the first and the start of the 2nd.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #962
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post

I just booked this thru DCL a couple weeks ago and we sail 5/27.
If booking 2 excursions thru DCL there has to be 2 hours between the end of the first and the start of the 2nd.
Thanks for the info. You don't happen to recall the times for the Taku lodge one? I am getting anxious because I still have 7 days til our booking window opens up.
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Never to old is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #963
mouselike-harrier
Mouseketeer

The times for the Taku Lodge and seaplane is 8:15 and 12:30. I booked outside Disney and got 9am, which is way better for us. Even though it did not save a lot of money, I booked it far in advance and got a better time. My son really wanted to do this trip. Also, I booked our Skagway Hike and Float trip for a total savings of $120, outside Disney. Can't wait for our trip!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #964
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouselike-harrier View Post
The times for the Taku Lodge and seaplane is 8:15 and 12:30. I booked outside Disney and got 9am, which is way better for us. Even though it did not save a lot of money, I booked it far in advance and got a better time. My son really wanted to do this trip. Also, I booked our Skagway Hike and Float trip for a total savings of $120, outside Disney. Can't wait for our trip!
Thanks for the info. 8:15 would work for us. We are early risers. But isn't that a little early for lunch?
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #965
beffiefox
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Who'd you book the Skagway Hike and Float trip through?
beffiefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #966
mouselike-harrier
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beffiefox View Post
Who'd you book the Skagway Hike and Float trip through?
Skagway Float tours. Very nice, very professional, and high ratings from Trip Advisor. They pick you up right at the dock.

Last edited by mouselike-harrier; 04-13-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: float not boat
mouselike-harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #967
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

All of our excursions were booked on our own and ALL were fantastic!

In Juneau we've twice gone with http://www.orcaenterprises.com/ - lots of whales and a great time!

In Juneau we did the pilots choice glacier landing with http://www.temscoair.com/pilots_choice.php.

In Skagway we did dog sledding with http://www.temscoair.com/dog_sled_tour_skagway.php.

In Skagway we rented a car and drove out to Emerald Lake with stops along the way (amazing time!) using http://www.murraysguide.com/.

In Ketchikan we did Anan Creek with http://www.islandwings.com/bear-viewing-tours (awesome bears!!).

In Ketchikan we did Misty Fjords with http://www.islandwings.com/misty-fjo...htseeing-tours.

Alaska is amazing and one thing I'd recommend is to see if from the air - whether a helicopter or seaplane. You get a totally different perspective and realize how huge and beautiful it is!
1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Fantasy - February 2015
Upcoming Cruise: Disney Magic - Norwegian Fjords and Iceland - June 2015
KashasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #968
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KashasMom View Post

In Juneau we've twice gone with http://www.orcaenterprises.com/ - lots of whales and a great time!

In Juneau we did the pilots choice glacier landing with http://www.temscoair.com/pilots_choice.php.

In Skagway we did dog sledding with http://www.temscoair.com/dog_sled_tour_skagway.php.

In Skagway we rented a car and drove out to Emerald Lake with stops along the way (amazing time!) using http://www.murraysguide.com/.

In Ketchikan we did Anan Creek with http://www.islandwings.com/bear-viewing-tours (awesome bears!!).

In Ketchikan we did Misty Fjords with http://www.islandwings.com/misty-fjo...htseeing-tours.

Alaska is amazing and one thing I'd recommend is to see if from the air - whether a helicopter or seaplane. You get a totally different perspective and realize how huge and beautiful it is!
Can you please tell me more about your tour at Anan Creek? How long were you there? Was there different places that you walked to or did you just stay in 1 spot?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #969
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info. 8:15 would work for us. We are early risers. But isn't that a little early for lunch?
When this is booked thru DCL or thru the company directly the actual flight time will be the same. DCL has you meet up on the ship at 8:15 and then they will transfer you to the plane.

I looked that the company's website and it said they only offer the 2 tour times.

I chose to do the later flight since I thought the early flight would be way too early for their salmon lunch, especially when we have late seating for dinner.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #970
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post

When this is booked thru DCL or thru the company directly the actual flight time will be the same. DCL has you meet up on the ship at 8:15 and then they will transfer you to the plane.

I looked that the company's website and it said they only offer the 2 tour times.

I chose to do the later flight since I thought the early flight would be way too early for their salmon lunch, especially when we have late seating for dinner.
I am kinda torn now. I agree that the early flight is not great for the lunch. Since we are in port for a short time and don't think there will be enough time for a second excursion I am leaning towards the later one. But then I didn't know if it would be better to do the tram in the afternoon instead of the morning. Decisions decisions
Old 04-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #971
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Can you please tell me more about your tour at Anan Creek? How long were you there? Was there different places that you walked to or did you just stay in 1 spot?
My son and I are were flown in by ourselves on the seaplane. We were dropped off, met by a ranger for a briefing, and sent off on our own. I don't know if this was common and if it is still the same way. I admit I was quite nervous but it was fine as long as you know what to do should you run into a bear. The trail was about 1/2 mile long before we reached the bear viewing platform. You can spend some time there and in the photo blind, which is literally just across the creek from the bears. It was definitely worth it - given the limited choices to see bears at the time of year we were there (2nd week of August). From what we saw I would say that you are pretty much guaranteed to see bears.
1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Fantasy - February 2015
Upcoming Cruise: Disney Magic - Norwegian Fjords and Iceland - June 2015
KashasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #972
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KashasMom View Post

My son and I are were flown in by ourselves on the seaplane. We were dropped off, met by a ranger for a briefing, and sent off on our own. I don't know if this was common and if it is still the same way. I admit I was quite nervous but it was fine as long as you know what to do should you run into a bear. The trail was about 1/2 mile long before we reached the bear viewing platform. You can spend some time there and in the photo blind, which is literally just across the creek from the bears. It was definitely worth it - given the limited choices to see bears at the time of year we were there (2nd week of August). From what we saw I would say that you are pretty much guaranteed to see bears.
Thank you! I have a request in and I am waiting to hear back. I have my fingers crossed that they will have a opening for us.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #973
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KashasMom

Did you bring children to anan? We are booked to go in July. How would you rank that v. Dog sledding? And v. Misty fjords? We are doing a misty fjord add on to the anan trip but it will be quick
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #974
Vegam060
Earning My Ears

Horseback riding

I really want to take my honeymoon to Alaska and I know that disney is the rigth way to go. My fiance loves horses though and I was wondering what the horseback riding was like in Skagway. I figured it would be cool for her to say she went horseback riding in alaska. So please just let me know the pros and cons of the trips. ( sry if this has already been posted)
Vegam060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #975
katiefried
Earning My Ears

Sorry if this has already been asked and I missed it! Does anyone know if the DCL Yukon tour goes to Emerald Lake? This is the tour that does the train one way and the bus another. I've been looking into Chilkoot tours but it looks like they leave at 7:30am and for our cruise (May 2014) we are supposed to be in port at 7:15am so I'm not sure if we would be able to make it. For those of you who've done the Chilkoot tours did you get into port earlier? Not sure if this is the time DCL usually gets into Skagway?

Also, I saw that Chilkoot offers the Bennett Scenic Journey has anyone done this tour? Thanks!
katiefried is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: