Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
princessmommyx3
Mouseketeer

Shoreside concierge booking cabanas???

My 120 day window doesn't start until next month, but I called shoreside concierge yesterday to make some dining requests. While on the phone, the person told me that if I told her exactly what days/times I want for Palo and which cabana I want, that they would book it for me at midnight when my window opens. I said that I thought they wouldn't do it until the next morning when they got to work, and she said no, they would do it at midnight. I am skeptical. This makes me very nervous to put the fate of my cabana in somebody else's hands!

Has anyone done this before or heard of it being done before? I am thinking that it is too risky and that I should call back & remove all requests so that I have complete control.
princessmommyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommyx3 View Post
My 120 day window doesn't start until next month, but I called shoreside concierge yesterday to make some dining requests. While on the phone, the person told me that if I told her exactly what days/times I want for Palo and which cabana I want, that they would book it for me at midnight when my window opens. I said that I thought they wouldn't do it until the next morning when they got to work, and she said no, they would do it at midnight. I am skeptical. This makes me very nervous to put the fate of my cabana in somebody else's hands!

Has anyone done this before or heard of it being done before? I am thinking that it is too risky and that I should call back & remove all requests so that I have complete control.
Unless the concierge has VERY recently acquired some additional access to the cabanas before the booking window opens (other than the single one on each beach that they are allowed to hold back) there's no way they can guarantee you a specific cabana number at midnight when all the Platinums pile on. So that alone makes me suspicious.

And, if this IS a new development and concierge guests now have access to cabanas, etc. before Platinum guests... that pretty much erases the biggest perk that makes attaining Platinum status something worth pursuing. I certainly wouldn't care anymore, given everything else they've taken away.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
KLK622
Mouseketeer

We are sailing on the 4/27 Fantasy sailing and they didn't book at midnight for us. I e-mailed all of my requests (including a specific Cabana number if available) and they told me they would book them in the morning after my booking window open (I think they said 8:30). I woke up at 7:30 the morning after our booking window and booked the very last family cabana an hour before they would have even started the booking process for me.

I e-mailed them to let them know I booked and they told me that I booked the last one and they didn't have one held for me, now I don't know if that was true because they always seem to have them available for concierge guests but if you must have one I wouldn't risk it.
KLK622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
princessmommyx3
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the feedback! I think I may have just talked to a CM who didn't really know what she was talking about. I may call back another time and see if I can get more clarity on the situation....
princessmommyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
biged9973
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommyx3 View Post

We are sailing on the 7/28 sailing of the Dream. Shoreside Concierge called and said that they could book our cabana for us but we wouldn't get our confirmation email until the following morning at 8am (I think). We went with this method and did get a cabana. I didn't fully trust that it would work and logged in at 12:30am and we had a cabana at that time.

We didn't request a specific cabana so I can't say if you'd get that for sure though.
biged9973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by biged9973

We are sailing on the 7/28 sailing of the Dream. Shoreside Concierge called and said that they could book our cabana for us but we wouldn't get our confirmation email until the following morning at 8am (I think). We went with this method and did get a cabana. I didn't fully trust that it would work and logged in at 12:30am and we had a cabana at that time.

We didn't request a specific cabana so I can't say if you'd get that for sure though.
This must be brand new. Its the first i have heard of it. We are sailing next week. At our booking window shoreside concierge told us to go online at midnight to book the cabana. That they could not book for us until the next morning. All cabanas were gone in twenty minutes.

Shoreside concierge has given me a fair amount of mis information, so i am always thankful for the disboards. But this is sounding true if thats what you experienced. From a concierge standpoint it would be great to avoid having to be up at midnight. But from a platinum standpoint its one more perk down.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
Billinaz
Waiting to spend time in our home away from home.. cabin 12506!

They hold back 3 cabanas on the family beach and one on the adult beach.

They are the 3 highest number ones on the family beach. If you want a lower number one, book it right at midnight yourself.......

2015 and 2016 Aulani so no cruises on these years!

PAST CRUISES (13)
02/11/2004 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/03/2005 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Day WDW and 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2006 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/01/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Night Bahamas
02/08/2008 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/07/2009 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Western
02/07/2010 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/27/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- & Cabana #3 Inaugural 4Night Bahamas
03/03/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- Missed CC - Inaugural 3 Night Bahamas
04/21/2012 Fantasy Cabin 12506 & Cabana #4- Inaugural 7 Night Eastern
04/20/2013 WDW Poly & Fantasy Cabin 12506 & Cabana 4- 7 Night Eastern
03/08/2014 WDW Poly & Fantasy Cabin 12506& Cabana 3- 7 Night Eastern
Billinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
biged9973
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinaz View Post
They hold back 3 cabanas on the family beach and one on the adult beach.

They are the 3 highest number ones on the family beach. If you want a lower number one, book it right at midnight yourself.......
We got #5.
biged9973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
zippingalong
Mouseketeer

It is a very new change. And I have confirmed it with shoreside. And I'm not sure how it's going to work out in the long run.

When I got my shoreside email the week before my booking window opened, I called with a question. I was told then that I could reserve a cabana. I'd actually heard this from another friend sailing in July (we're sailing in August) and he'd told me the same thing.

Apparently, there were a lot of complaints about "we're paying these crazy prices and you still want me to wait up until midnight?!". So, they took all my requests (it wasn't even what I called for) including the family cabana.

I was still online at midnight, and before midnight, my family cabana was already held and showed (greyed out) in my excursions.

I got Cabana 2 (as did my friend who booked in July and held early with concierge).

I am concerned how this will work in the long run. What if EVERY concierge guest wants a cabana and calls early? How early will you have to call? And, I agree that it will be a devastating blow to platinum guests because theoretically, all the cabanas can already be held before the window ever opens.
zippingalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

I would suspect as well that given how easy it is make Platinum CC, there may have also been complaints from concierge guests that they were not able to reserve cabanas at their 120 mark. Shoreside Concierge used to tout "worry-free" booking of shorex dinner reservations, etc., at the 120 day mark. This was before the CC levels were instituted. Now the concierge pre-cruise letter no longer includes that term.

I wonder as well if there will have to be a hierarchy of suite guests for booking cabanas, given the number of concierge guests v. the number of cabanas. For example Cat S given priority before Cat T on the Classics, and Cat T before Cat V on the Dream class, with Cat R trumping all across the board.

Good deal for concierge guests. Not such a good deal for Platinums.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

I think the change makes sense. Honestly it is a good change given the cost of concierge. I don't think they would do the hierarchy thing very soon if at all. Or at least they may not tell people they are doing it, until it leaks here.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
zippingalong
Mouseketeer

I'm sailing the Fantasy and paying $10,000 for my family of 4 to be sardines in a V. (I know, CRAZY!) A T is $19,000 for 4. If the T's start bumping the V's, I'm out and will go back to two cabins. I'm NOT spending that kind of money for one vacation.

I'm also gold and heading towards platinum, and hate to see such a perk taken away from loyal cruisers.

Really don't know what I think of the whole thing.
zippingalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

Oh, no WAY would they actually TELL anyone there would be a hierarchy. But let's face it. All things have a pecking order. On the Dream class, there are roughly 2x the concierge rooms than there are cabanas.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsupak View Post
I think the change makes sense. Honestly it is a good change given the cost of concierge. I don't think they would do the hierarchy thing very soon if at all. Or at least they may not tell people they are doing it, until it leaks here.
I agree. IMO, I believe there will be a hierarchy eventually and it makes perfect sense. I think a cabana should be included in a Cat. R booking considering how much it costs.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post
I think a cabana should be included in a Cat. R booking considering how much it costs.
And a unicorn!
May 2011: First Disney Cruise/First Stay at BLT
December 2011: First MVMCP/First WL Stay
September 2013: First Mother/Daughter Trip
April 2014:First Disney Cruise without stop in WDW
December 2014: First Mother/Son Trip

MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: