Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #31
Gibbygirl
why am I here when I should be there?

Haven't stayed at POR or POFQ--the themes do absolutely nothing for me/us. I belive they are beautiful, wonderful, fabulous resorts, but just not our taste. Have stayed at CBR (2011) & CSR (2012) and LOVED both of them. The tropical feel, the beaches, the over all atmosphere & themes, etc, etc. CSR felt more relaxed & "adult" to us (although our kids also loved it.) CBR felt like we really were on a tropical vacation and seemed a little more "family friendly." We rented a boat twice which was great fun. CSR has a marina but no longer does any rentals (at least they weren't last summer.) I could go on & on about the reasons we would go back to either one, but it really comes down to personal preference. I know when I looked at pictures of CBR and CSR, those were the resorts for us. When I look at POR or POFQ...meh.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #32
11point5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalMawMaw View Post
You have no way of knowing if you'll get to be in the mansion rooms & we were put into the bayou rooms on 2 trips.
Isn't this something that could be requested on your reservation? (I know it's just a "request", but the CMs have always seemed to do their best with room requests in my experience) I'm considering POR for my trip next year but the theming of the bayou rooms is just not for me either. The mansions look fabulous though
April 2000 - (POFQ) Second Daddy-Daughter Trip!
April 2007 - (AS Sports) High School Band Trip!
October 2012 - (ASMu) DBF's First Trip AND Our 3 Year Dating Anniversary!
February 2014 - (POR) Glass Slipper Challenge Trip!
March 2015 to March 2016 - Canadian Pavilion Cultural Rep Program!
11point5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #33
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

Ok here is my 2 cents. POR is a beautiful resort. so is CSR I have never stayed there. My SIL travels to disney every year and they Swear by CSR. She will not stay anywhere else. I think it is because it is the closest you can get to staying deluxe for the $$ of a moderate. they cater to business class travelers.

POR has a great following because of the fact that a family of 5 can stay there but not at a value or any of the other mods in a regular standard room.

CBR - has double beds.....personally if I wouldn't stat there only because of that fact alone. I would save the extra $$ and stay value if I had to sleep in a double bed.

That being said. Everyone has a favorite you have to way all your options to what suits your family the best. I like smaller resorts with larger rooms because of the stroller and different option other than bus transportation. so it deluxe for us. When my kids are older we will try a moderate resort again.

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #34
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11point5

Isn't this something that could be requested on your reservation? (I know it's just a "request", but the CMs have always seemed to do their best with room requests in my experience) I'm considering POR for my trip next year but the theming of the bayou rooms is just not for me either. The mansions look fabulous though
I have always gotten what I requested, so far.
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #35
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

Does CSR still offer massages at the resort? Many years ago I was the lounging wife whilst DH attended meetings there. But I don't see/hear many things about the spa options there now it seems. Love the new decor and i would consider another stay there.

I think if/when CBR finally upgrades to queen beds it will see a surge in popularity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:29 AM   #36
ArmyVet80
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at both CSR and POFQ. We liked both of them equally. While at CSR we were stayed in Casitas #5.

Here is what we liked about CSR: (Stayed Sept. 2012)
1. It was a large resort but it wasn't a bad walk for food or the pool/hot tub.
2. At night from our room we could see the fireworks from Fantasmic and Illuminations.
3. There was a quiet pool about a 2 minute walk from us and the Dig Site pool was a 5 minute walk from us. Both came in handy as there was a convention going on while we were there.
4. The hammocks around the lake. We got a bottle of wine from the German pavilion and relaxed one night under the stars swaying in the breeze. Romantic and relaxing.
5. Transportation was good. Casitas is the first bus stop of four to get to the parks. Heading back to the resort it is the first stop to drop off.
6. The theme was pretty cool. I lived in the southwest during my time in the Army and it was similar minus all the grass and trees. Still a good time.

What we didn't like about CSR:
1. The convention people. They seemed to party pretty hard. We didn't always hear them but when we did hear them they were loud. Couldn't hear them while in our room but we didn't go to WDW to stay in our room all night after a day at the parks.
2. The lines to fill up your refillable mugs were always busy. I picked random times to go get something to drink and always ran into a line of people. Not sure if they were convention people or regular guests but it always seemed busy.

What we liked about POFQ: (Stayed in June 2009)
1. It's where we spent our honeymoon/disneymoon. Sentimental value.
2. Smaller so easy to get around.
3. More romantic/secluded. Didn't seem like there was anyone around even though it was a smaller resort.
4. The DtD boat. We make it our goal to ride as many modes of transportation at WDW. We took the boat to DtD, bus to Epcot and Monorail to MK to get our fix.
5. The hot tub. It's a staple of our trips. We tend to soak for an hour every night after a long day at the parks. CSR has a very large (holds 15-20 people) hot tub. POFQ's is smaller and kind of surrounded by shrubs.
6. The decor.. We liked the Madi Gras theme. All of the colors were awesome.

What we didn't like about POFQ:
1. We had to leave.. lol
2. The Brazilian Travel groups. We didn't see them often but when we did they took over everything. Almost as if they owned the place.
3. Bus transportation. It wasn't horrible but we did stop by POR a few times to pick up guests. While we knew this could happen we weren't sure why we were stopping when the bus was fully loaded with people.

All in all they are both nice resorts. We have not stayed at POR so I can not give a review on it. We are excited to stay at POFQ again this year for the W&D Half Marathon. Only 209 more days until we arrive.

POFQ: June 2009
All-Star Music: Dec. 2010 thru Jan. 2011
CSR: Sept. 2012
POFQ: Nov. 2013
POFQ: Sept/Oct 2014
ArmyVet80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #37
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

I saw this and had to chime in. I'm one of the POR Army, but find great benefits to all the moderates, they are my favorite.

I've tried to figure out if POR is our favorite since it was the resort we stayed at our first time at WDW. But I think it is more because of all of the landscaping there. Love the river through the resort and all of the greenery.

CBR is nice if you love the beach or tropical feel. If you have kids, the pool is great, especially the play area for the little ones. My only issues was the food court. Just didn't seem to be set up well and less tables to eat at compared to POR for the size of the resort. And the area where you order and pay was too congested.

We stayed at CSR this past October. If you like a "southwest" feel it is nice. I actually like the area on the other side of the lake from the lobby and convention center. Loved looking at all the greenery over there and the pool looked really great. If you like going to a spa and using a gym, specially if only adults going, I would highly recommend this resort.

I think you said this is your first trip, I wouldn't recommend changing resorts during your trip then. We did back in August, only to switch to value to save some money and it just seemed to be a hassle for us. But, those days we were going to a convention in Orlando, so didn't see the need to spend the extra money on a moderate. Plus, I wanted the DH to see POP!

I say if CSR really appeals to you, stay there. When we first did our research, POR was the one that caught our eye. Hopefully you will make more trips and get to try out the other resorts. And you could always take a day and wander those other resorts.

Have a magical trip!
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014
jmskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #38
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post

The POR Army will be along shortly to refute everything I've just said!!
I'm actually part of the subsidiary branch of this army, POFQ.

I would actually love to to try CSR, but we fly down and never rent a car, so we find the size of CSR and the multiple bus stops overwhelming. We love POFQ because of its size, one bus stop and boat to DTD.

Since the op has a car, I would say definitely give CSR a try!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #39
averysmom
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at CSR and we love the resort... Our last 4 family trips have been there. I love th duvets in the rooms, the pool is amazing, and we have always gotten good rooms, so the walk has never been too bad. We are staying at POR this summer because what we really dislike about CSR is the restaurants/ food areas. Pepper Market was great 5 years ago... And we have noticed it get worse and worse every time we went. Out last meal (chicken fajitas!) was inedible... And I eat anything! At Rix cafe, items have a different price than at the rest of Disney. Everything is a dollar or so more, so you can't use your snack credits. And we found many ( but not all) of the food service employees to be rude- especially the workers in Pepper Market. The food service at the hotel isn't owned/run by Disney, but rather another company does it.. And you can tell. We love CSR, and am very sad about not staying there this summer, but with the food options being so poor ( for us) we just can't do it.

averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #40
Andrea817
Mouseketeer

I have never stayed at POR, but I can say that I am having the exact same dilemma for our trip for F&W fest! We stayed in CSR last month and fell in love, it so peaceful and we had an amazing time. We were in Ranchos B and explored the grounds often and never did we find anything to be that lengthy of a trek, even after long park days. My favorite part of the day was the morning walk to El Centro for breakfast, it's so calm and all you hear are birds chirping. It really was such a peaceful resort! We loved it and joked how we wished to just move in and never go back home to reality

Now, we will be going next month before our SP's black out for summer (we are FL residents) and will be staying at POP to lower costs as we were just in the world last month. We plan to return in late September and now I'm torn with CSR again or POR!! I LOVED CSR but since it was my first on property stay, I really wanted to try some others for fun/experience! I also don't want to be disappointed and wishing we had just went with CSR, either I read in this post you can take a ferry from DTD to POR, can anyone do this (even if not staying at the resort)? We will be in DTD on the day we arrive and I would love to see the resort in person to help make my decision, is this allowed??
Andrea817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #41
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea817 View Post
I read in this post you can take a ferry from DTD to POR, can anyone do this (even if not staying at the resort)? We will be in DTD on the day we arrive and I would love to see the resort in person to help make my decision, is this allowed??
Anyone can take the boat from DTD to POR. Get on the boat in the Marketplace area (by Captain Jack's restaurant). It is a 10 to 15 minute boat ride. Your first stop will be POFQ and your second stop will be POR.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #42
shenaniganzz
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both and much prefer CSR! We were so unimpressed with POR on our last trip that we were considering switching back to CSR for the remainder of our last trip.

We're returning to CSR this year!

shenaniganzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #43
LoveMyMoos
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at both, POR once and CSR twice. I definitely prefer CSR over POR, I thought it was much prettier.
Nov 2013 POFQ Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon Jan 2014 Paradise Pier DL Tink 1/2 Marathon Feb 2014 Contemporary Glass Slipper Challenge
LoveMyMoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #44
Laura's Dad
DIS Veteran

I think it is all what your personal taste in theme is. Both are terrific resorts and worth the "bang for your buck". If you like one theme over the other, go with it. It's Disney World and you will have fun!
Laura's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #45
momofkids
Mouseketeer

I wanted to try CSR for our next trip; however, all the unhappy reviews have me nervous. My DH just says book POR again because we liked it. We also tried POP, and it just wasn't for us. CBR remains a possibility if the good discounts are there even though we would be a little less happy with the double beds. I really want to try a new resort, but I don't want to be disappointed. I think we have finally decided to let the discounts determine where we end up. I don't know what we are going to do if they all have availability for the same prices (we aren't counting the little bit extra for CSR being a convention resort).

Sorry, that my post isn't much help. Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in your dilemma.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: