Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #1156
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Did the race today. Still having knee issues so I did intervals. No set time but ran when I felt up to it and walked the rest. I'd say I ran at least 75% of the race. I'd count 90 walking steps then ran again.
I did 3 miles in 40:35 and my pace was a 13:32. This was my best time yet. Came in dead last though, which kind of stank but I finished.
The course was mostly uphill, a long slow grade.

I went back and looked at run keeper and I actually had 2 minutes towards the end of the race that were paced at a 9:30 mile. That was impressive.

I see the DR Monday about my knee, so the race in May is questionable because its about 90% uphill and it's a steep grade.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards
Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #1157
njcarita
BL II - Red Team
If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?
the name DANNY TERRIO pooped into my head
I swear I am full of useless information...

okay i just downloaded the app to my ipod touch and plan to start today........ question have any of u taken it really slow...... and stayed at the same week for longer than a week.............. i am battleing a few illnesses..... and finally feeling better and was able to start back working 3 months ago after being home for 3 years..........my dream my whole life ( i am 48 ) now has been to run a marathon........... mind u i cant run for a minute with out getting winded...... I really want to do this slowly without messing myself up healthwise ...........so anyone else do this slowly.............. when i fell ill gosh now almost 3 years ago i was walking about 5 miles a day........... seems like a lifetime ago...........

before 1988 didn't keep track- must have been over 20 times to disney- went every year with family

Here we go again!!!!
starting weight
Jan 1 2013 194.8lbs Height 5'9" BMI 28.8

Jan 1 2014 187.4 BMI 27.7Goal 150[/COLOR][/FONT]
njcarita is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #1158
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJR View Post
Week5 was a beast..it didn't help that it coincided with the weather becoming downright freezing here. For the first time in my training I had to conceded and for W5D3 I moved to the treadmill.

W5D1= Killed it..no problem
W5D2= Did not kill it, First 8 min run=no problem, 2nd run I only got to 5 min, then walked 90 seconds before doing the final 3 minutes of running.

W5D3= The dreaded 20 minute run...attempt 1 outside at same pace I have been running (around an 11:00 mile pace)= failure.... I did 12:00 and was spent...walked 3:00 and grinded out a 3:00 run but that was the end of it for me.

W5D3 attempt #2 I hit the gym and did the treadmill at a 14:00 mile pace and was able to take care of business with a little extra left.

Going to repeat this week until I feel better about the long run's pace (ideally I want a 12:00 mile).... or until I can do the distance (2 miles) continuous.
This is where I am right now! I will do W5D2 today after work. I really don't know what to expect! I feel like this is the week where I am going to hit a wall and have to start repeating days/weeks.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #1159
goalie mom
Earning My Ears

Hi,
I just started the Couch to 5k program and enjoy it! We decided to enter the 5k (me) and 10k (dh) at Marathon weekend. I think having this race will keep me more motivated than simply trying to exercise. I like how the C25k program is set up. Very user-friendly! And I like having the ability to listen to my music while doing it
goalie mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #1160
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnbwSktles View Post
I feel like this is the week where I am going to hit a wall and have to start repeating days/weeks.
Which is TOTALLY OK! Not worth a frowny face over. Do what you have to do; it will make you a stronger runner for it.

We're not just getting our legs used to running; we're getting our lungs and hearts ready too. We want everything to be strong and ready, even down to your veins and arteries, which might not have been used in these ways for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcarita View Post
okay i just downloaded the app to my ipod touch and plan to start today........ question have any of u taken it really slow...... and stayed at the same week for longer than a week..............
It's totally OK. There's no race to finish it, IMO.

I actually don't remember when I started the C25K program last year (and I repeated week 4, I believe, once or twice, then got sick in the middle of it all and had to go back through it to continue and ultimately finish it), but as of the other day I signed up for the TOT 10 miler October and the January WDW Half-Marathon (and the 5K with my son over that same weekend).

Went from a "former" runner (in high school with my big dog who needed the exercise) to someone training for those things inside a year. Pretty cool!

Oh and I need to sign up for the 5K run for a local event in June. Last year I could walk it (and I'm using it as my "before" picture even though I'd already lost quite a bit of weight before that) and so we signed up for the walk...this year DH and DS will walk and I will do the run.

OK, slow jog.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #1161
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Which is TOTALLY OK! Not worth a frowny face over. Do what you have to do; it will make you a stronger runner for it.

We're not just getting our legs used to running; we're getting our lungs and hearts ready too. We want everything to be strong and ready, even down to your veins and arteries, which might not have been used in these ways for a long time.
I did W5D2 yesterday and felt great! I kept chanting to myself that 8 minutes was nothing and I think it worked! LOL

I am actually looking forward to going for the full 20 minutes tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #1162
BernardandMissBianca
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

I went to the dr after the race and I have a fray in my meniscus. So I'm limited to no more than a mile of intervals every other day, I've only run once though since then.
Dr wants me mostly working on the bike and an elliptical so a friend is getting me a gym pass to her gym next week to see if I like it.
It's also the gym where the boys will start fencing this week so I can hit the bike or elliptical while they are doing their thing.
I will probably be starting C25K over again once I get the all clear to up my mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards
Old 04-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #1163
Carissa 80
Mouseketeer

I've finally got road miles under my feet. I am having to backtrack with running outside. I can run on the treadmill for 8-10 minutes, but running outside, I have a hard time running from one telephone pole to a couple further down. I am feeling stronger. My poor lungs and heart sure need the workout!!!

The Expedition Everest 5k is coming right up!! I have gotten myself under the 16 minute pace with plenty pf wiggle room.... So this will be a mini celebration on my journey to get fit and healthy.

Keep up the good work everyone!!!

Saratoga Springs October 2011
Old Key West June 2012
Expedition Everest 5k May 2013
Animal Kingdom Lodge August 2014 & Disneyland 2014 Avengers 1/2 Marathon
Carissa 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #1164
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Update...I've done my 5K and it was amazing! Now I am going to work on a 10K program and then a half. The last few weeks I have had foot problems, so I haven't been able to start it. The doctor said it is a temporary problem and that I could start running again. This week, that was the plan. I ran Tuesday and it was fantastic. I planned to start my training this weekend, and then I got sick. It will happen! Here's hoping for Monday!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #1165
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa 80 View Post
I've finally got road miles under my feet. I am having to backtrack with running outside. I can run on the treadmill for 8-10 minutes, but running outside, I have a hard time running from one telephone pole to a couple further down. I am feeling stronger. My poor lungs and heart sure need the workout!!!

The Expedition Everest 5k is coming right up!! I have gotten myself under the 16 minute pace with plenty pf wiggle room.... So this will be a mini celebration on my journey to get fit and healthy.

It will get easier, the more miles you run outside! Congrats on your progress!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #1166
Carissa 80
Mouseketeer

Thanks Keahgirl8!!! {..... and that's good to know!}

Old Key West June 2012
Old 04-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #1167
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Keahgirl8!!! {..... and that's good to know!}
It's a fact! My whole leg tingled the first few times I ran outside!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #1168
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Also remember that the 16 m/m pace doesn't start until the last person crosses the start line. I ran a personal record when we did the EEC (I had just started running). I think we were at 43 minutes and change, and that was with the obstacles.
I've also found that I run faster outside than on the treadmill which makes me more winded faster, but you'll get into more of a routine the more you run outside.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #1169
disneymom1980
DIS Veteran

I just found this thread, but I've been working on C25K for a while now. I am on week 5, but since all the days are different I've been doing each workout more than once. I did Week 5 Day 1 three times this week and will move on to Day 2 next week. I've been doing pretty well up to this point, but I know things are going to get more difficult now.

However, I've been having a fair amount of calf pain/tightness. Any suggestions for this?
2008-Port Orleans Riverside (First Family Trip) Trip Report, 2009-Belated Honeymoon at the Contemporary Pre-Trip Report
2010-Anna's 8th Birthday Trip at the Contemporary, 2012-Birthdays and Best Friends--Our first DVC Trip
2012-Halloween at Disney, 2013-Our First Cruise
disneymom1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #1170
Carissa 80
Mouseketeer

I didn't realize the time starts when the last person hits the start line.... good to know!!! Thanks!! Trying to get at least a good 10 miles in this week and lots of weights and other cardio in. If I can put the work in now, it will be just that much easier (than what I am doing now), to finish that race! Thanks for the encouragement!!

Old Key West June 2012

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: