Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #946
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouselike-harrier View Post
Thanks for the links. Looks like I'm going to delete one of my excursions and book outside Disney. Much cheaper!
You are welcome. We were going to book the Jeep tour in Skagway thru Disney, but found we could book a Jeep on our own for the entire day for not much more than the cost of 1 of us thru DCL.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #947
Jillscabanastories
Earning My Ears

We absolutely loved our Disney Alaska cruise last year.

In Skagway we did White pass Scenic Railway and Liarsville. Loved the railway, Liarsville was just O.K.

In Ketchikan we did the Duck Tour- interesting but probably not again. Also the Thinglit villiage and totems, loved that, learned alot.

In Juneau we did whale watching in Auke Bay. That was absolutely breathtaking and beautiful I would do that again.... Highlight of the cruise.
Jillscabanastories is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #948
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

thanks everyone, just reading up and dreaming!

yup, editing because I added the ticker, went ahead and moved our dummy booking to Alaska Wonder 8/4/14!

Last edited by love280mickey; 04-11-2013 at 04:29 PM.
love280mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #949
bates1960
Earning My Ears

First post!

We are going on the Wonder to Alaska on 6/3 and was wondering if anyone has any reviews for the excursions we picked:

Skagway - White Pass Railway and Trail Camp

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest

Ketchikan - Saxman Native Village and Exclusive Lumberjack Show

Also, I saw another thread that mentioned people who were still waiting for their room assignments. Ours is still listed as GTY for an Oceanview Stateroom. Anyone going on this cruise still waiting for their assignments as well?

Thanks everyone!
bates1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #950
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

This was my favorite cruise!

Skagway- we actually booked privately with Chillokot tours. Started with the white pass railroad to the Canadian border (same train as DCL just a different car). Then you get off the train and a small shuttle picked us up for a great drive through the Yukon and back to the ship. Cannot say enough how great this was.

Juneau- enchanted taku lodge. This was also FANTASTIC and worth the price. You take a float plane to the lodge right by a glacier, eat ANAZING salmon, maybe see some bears up close, then fly back over five different glaciers. A few folks booked it o their own and they had to pay to get to the flight place (maybe $5 cab ride) but the rest of their tour was right with the DCL tour.

Ketchikan- I did the bear encounter which was great. You walk on bridges above a stream where bears are fishing for salmon. It was a little intense being that close to the bears and the reason we didn't bring my 5 year old. Son and husband did the lumberjack show. They said it was fun but a little cheesy.
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #951
mom2twokids
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bates1960 View Post
First post!

We are going on the Wonder to Alaska on 6/3 and was wondering if anyone has any reviews for the excursions we picked:

Skagway - White Pass Railway and Trail Camp

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest

Ketchikan - Saxman Native Village and Exclusive Lumberjack Show

Also, I saw another thread that mentioned people who were still waiting for their room assignments. Ours is still listed as GTY for an Oceanview Stateroom. Anyone going on this cruise still waiting for their assignments as well?

Thanks everyone!
Hi! We are one the same cruise as you and we are still waiting for GTY assignment as well. I check every day. We are getting closer...so hopefully soon!!

You should come join our cruise meet.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=43859473
mom2twokids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #952
sambycat
DIS Veteran

looking forward to perusing this thread in planning for our first alaskan next may.... i’ve lent out my most recent passporter guide and don’t have anything in the house that lists (past) itineraries! i do best planning initially with an actual paper book to start off with!

i’m not “worried” exactly because just the cruise will be gorgeous, but i’m afraid of doing anything with a helicopter, don’t want to mush dogs (at least till i read up that his is truly a cruelty free endeavor? i’m unconvinced!), don’t want to roll a log with a lumber jack or kill any fish! haha! and of course, these are pricey excursions all as well! i was surprised to hear both my DH and DSS (who is really afraid of heights) would both go on a helicopter tour! at least they can go out do it!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #953
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotomu212 View Post

Skagway- we actually booked privately with Chillokot tours. Started with the white pass railroad to the Canadian border (same train as DCL just a different car). Then you get off the train and a small shuttle picked us up for a great drive through the Yukon and back to the ship. Cannot say enough how great this was.

Ketchikan- I did the bear encounter which was great. You walk on bridges above a stream where bears are fishing for salmon. It was a little intense being that close to the bears and the reason we didn't bring my 5 year old. Son and husband did the lumberjack show. They said it was fun but a little cheesy.
Ditto to the above! Except we took our 5-year old with us to see the bears and he loved it! He really enjoyed feeding the reindeer after we saw the bears. In addition to the above excursions, we did Best of Juneau too. All of our excursions were awesome! We didn't have second thoughts about any of them! Best vacation ever (and I say that from a hotel room in Hawaii!!)
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #954
chickamu
Earning My Ears

We booked a heicopter dog sled and some were sold out already for july..
chickamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #955
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickamu View Post
We booked a heicopter dog sled and some were sold out already for july..
Did you book with Disney or through someone else? When are you sailing? We sail at the end of July
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Never to old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #956
egesicki
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapycruiser View Post
Is there a list somewhere of the tour companies that you can book on your own ?
alaska.org also seems to have pretty good lists of things to do and places to visit

Dream 4nt Bahamas February 2011 9138, Wonder 4nt Bahamas March 2013 8084, WDW Mar 2015?

egesicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #957
emilyann415
DIS Veteran

Bear viewing vs misty fjords

Trying to decide between the Misty Fjords float plane or the floatplane that takes you to the bear viewing in Ketchikan? We have a 3 and 7 year old.
emilyann415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #958
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyann415 View Post
Trying to decide between the Misty Fjords float plane or the floatplane that takes you to the bear viewing?
Haven't done either yet, but we have friends who cruised a year or so ago and did the bear viewing. They really liked it, but said that if they had the cruise to do over again they would have picked Misty Fjord based on what fellow cruisers said.

FWIW, we have Misty Fjord booked!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #959
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotomu212 View Post

Juneau- enchanted taku lodge. This was also FANTASTIC and worth the price. You take a float plane to the lodge right by a glacier, eat ANAZING salmon, maybe see some bears up close, then fly back over five different glaciers. A few folks booked it o their own and they had to pay to get to the flight place (maybe $5 cab ride) but the rest of their tour was right with the DCL tour.
Thanks for this info. We are doing this next month and really looking forward to it. I was going to book it on our own, but we would only save about $30 total for the 3 of us which wasn't enough of a savings to outweigh any risks.

Did you see any bears or other wildlife at the Lodge?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #960
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post

Thanks for this info. We are doing this next month and really looking forward to it. I was going to book it on our own, but we would only save about $30 total for the 3 of us which wasn't enough of a savings to outweigh any risks.

Did you see any bears or other wildlife at the Lodge?
Yes yes yes, I want to do this one! I am so hoping it doesn't sell out. I also looked into booking outside of Disney, it only saved 24.00 for 2 people. I agree that the savings aren't worth it. Now if I can't book with Disney then I might see if I can get it with someone else. I am wondering if we will have enough time for 2 excursions. I would like to do a whale one.
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Never to old is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: