Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
luharvey77
Earning My Ears

MI to CA

Looking to plan a trip West from Michigan in 2016, with a stop at Disneyland. We usually take 2 days to drive to Florida, and this about twice the distance. Does anyone have any tips for making a trip like this? Where would be some good places to stay along the way? Any advice on saving money on lodging? We have a large family and would need two hotel rooms., so any alternatives to that would be great. Also, how many days are adequate at the parks? We like 6 days in WDW, that's usually a good amount of time for us. Thanks in advance!
luharvey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
jmpurcel
Earning My Ears

Iím from Traverse City myself. I have driven from Michigan to Arizona about a dozen times and from Arizona to Disneyland numerous times as well.

I think the best bet for lodging is to look and see if anyone is offering multiple nights or stay deals. Best western is right now I believe. I usually just pick up some of those flyers at rest stops that have coupons for lodging along your route and see if anything looks enticing.

If you plan the route it will sometimes tell you to take I-40 thru Texas. I usually prefer to go thru Colorado myself, more scenic. As to sightseeing along the way and depending on when you leave you could hit up the Iowa state fair. Itís huge! When you get to Colorado there is the garden of the gods, the air force academy. If you enjoy beer there is a bunch of awesome micro brews. In Utah you have all the amazing parks. Like arches and Zion. You could hit up the Grand Canyon as well. In Nevada the only thing that comes to mind along the route would be Vegas. Or if youíre into adventurous stuff you could drive out to area 51. Then off to California for some tiger tails and corn dogs! Oh and Mickey too 
jmpurcel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: