Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

When do you start packing?

I would like to know the average time that people start packing. We're at T-minus 22 days and I started packing weeks ago. Let me clarify. When we got our cruise documents, they went in my carry on along with other important paperwork (DCL online form, hotel reservation, passports, dog immunization records for boarding, etc...). Basically, I pack something when I think about it, so that I won't be trying to remember everything that I need the morning that we leave. Over the next 3 weeks, I will pack anything that I won't need/wear before we cruise. Anything that is for "cruise only" will go in immediately. The reason that I do this is because it's a lot less stressful, and I get little bursts of excitement every few days. Also, if i realize that my suitcase is too full or too big, I can change/buy bags before the last minute. Now, my wife is different. I LOVE her to death, BUT she will wait until she is forced to pack. We leave on a Friday, she will be finished packing on .......Friday. I will make sure that I, and our son are ready to go no later than Wednesday. I will also try to encourage her to not wait, but I'm not to optimistic. So, are you more like me or my DW? When do you start packing?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
egesicki
Mouseketeer

I am more like you, my DH is more like your DW. I am very type A and actually had tasks and a packing list in my Outlook over a year in advance of our cruise. I kind of see it as therapy, when work was stressful I could take a quick peek at vacay and imagine myself relaxed!

Dream 4nt Bahamas February 2011 9138, Wonder 4nt Bahamas March 2013 8084, WDW Mar 2015?

egesicki is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Allanaw
Earning My Ears

I work best under pressure. I make sure I have everything I need a week before but things don't start being put into the suitcases until the day before I need to leave. Last trip there was nothing left behind so it worked for me.
Allanaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

I don't sail again till August, 2014, is it too soon? Seriously, though I did already print out a magnet and made a couple of requests for others!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
PWammy
Mouseketeer

I start working on my list a couple of months out and throwing stuff in the suitcase (especially when we travel off season). I'll start real packing a couple of weeks out. I was worse when she was a baby/toddler, but when it comes to cruises and land resorts out of the US, I don't want to miss a thing and have to pay a ton for a bandaid.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
TiszBear
DIS Veteran

I am so glad I saw your post as my office and I were talking about this same subject but as vacations in general!

I start packing at least 6 -8 weeks before. I have 2 rubbermaid bins with all travel toiletries that I go thru and if there is anything I need I can pick it up.

Each trip (if I have more than 1 in a planning stage) is in a different colored folder and clearly marked with the trip name and dates and inside are my travel docs and passports.

Usually the week of my leaving for the trip I am finalizing the last minute packing and then I am good to go.

Now I have a trip planned for this August but nothing again until September 2014 and I already have lists made up for the September 2014 trip!

TiszBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
minximom
Cruise Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by love280mickey View Post
I don't sail again till August, 2014, is it too soon? Seriously, though I did already print out a magnet and made a couple of requests for others!
Lol... I'm sailing in Aug 2014 too and I have started to look at magnets too....waiting until nearer the time to print them out (erm..like next week probably lol)
minximom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

If I am lucky I start packing 2 or 3 days before the cruise. Most of the time I am up the night before our flight packing and trying to figure out what we have forgotten. Of course it might be easier because there are just two of us and we are both boys.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Dixielady908
Grandma's Little Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
I would like to know the average time that people start packing. We're at T-minus 22 days and I started packing weeks ago. Let me clarify. When we got our cruise documents, they went in my carry on along with other important paperwork (DCL online form, hotel reservation, passports, dog immunization records for boarding, etc...). Basically, I pack something when I think about it, so that I won't be trying to remember everything that I need the morning that we leave. Over the next 3 weeks, I will pack anything that I won't need/wear before we cruise. Anything that is for "cruise only" will go in immediately. The reason that I do this is because it's a lot less stressful, and I get little bursts of excitement every few days. Also, if i realize that my suitcase is too full or too big, I can change/buy bags before the last minute. Now, my wife is different. I LOVE her to death, BUT she will wait until she is forced to pack. We leave on a Friday, she will be finished packing on .......Friday. I will make sure that I, and our son are ready to go no later than Wednesday. I will also try to encourage her to not wait, but I'm not to optimistic. So, are you more like me or my DW? When do you start packing?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
More like you...with that being said, I do have some "last minute items" that go in on travel day...and the night before, I do go through the luggage to make sure everything is in there that should be in there....whew....I just have packing OCD...
1978 Contemporary Resort - 1979 Contemporary Resort - 1990 Off site - 1997 Dixielandings - 2000 - Port Orleans - Riverside 2004 - Port Orleans - Riverside - 2006 - Disney Magic - Eastern 2007 - Pop Century - 2008 - Disney Magic - Western 2011 - Disney Magic Western-turned into a Eastern - 2013 - Disney Fantasy - Western - 2014 - Disney Parks - 2015 - Disney Wonder - Alaska

Denise
Nanaheads Rule
Dixielady908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
shandrananette
Mouseketeer

I try to start a week out for clothes but because of work I find myself packing at midnight the night before for 90% of my vacations. Best laid plans.

I do keep a folder of needed documents-passports, tickets, etc for all vacations so I can grab it and have all our travel plans. Works awesome until you forget that folder-I managed to leave it on the counter with our Halloween party tickets for Disneyland one year. Realized it half way to the airport and had to race home to get it. We made our flight by some miracle, though. That's a mistake I probably won't make again. Next cruise is 7 days and the first vacation with two kids. I have high hopes of packing earlier than the night before we leave this time!

shandrananette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
safeti01
Mouseketeer

Cruising in Feb 14, have two totes that when we see things we want to take, we put them in. If not completely packed a week before, I'm behind. My wife is a more casual about it.
safeti01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

I started packing a few weeks ago for our cruise next month, so about 7 weeks in advance! I generally start packing as I buy new things for the trip or when I think of things that we already have. The final week before vacation I get out the packing list and pack the "last minute" stuff.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

I have a list made up now for the cruise I have coming up in seven months but I probably won't start packing until I'm about a week out. My husband will leave all his packing to be done the night before or even the day we leave. Makes me crazy.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.

Our trip isn't until next year. If I had my way, and enough underwear, I'd start packing now. My husband on the other hand, he packs the night before. Then when we get to our destination and I bust out something very useful, he says, "I can't believe you packed that! I would've never thought of it!" It's ok honey. I've been thinking about it for over a year, that's why I thought of it.
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

We fly out on Monday and I haven't packed a thing yet! (AND I have 6 people to pack for!) I will probably pack on Sunday and finish up Monday morning. I am a last minute packer. But I keep a handy list in my luggage with everything I could possibly need so I can usually pack for all 6 of us in an hour.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: