Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #2386
mrsdrum
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhk617 View Post
When the discount came out we decided to switch to a bigger hotel and pay the same price! We were originally staying in the Little Mermaid section. We are so excited!!! Have fun!
We did the same thing! Enjoy your stay!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #2387
katiereeve
Earning My Ears

Finally leaving tomorrow after school! Unbelievable that it's finally here!
Yippee!
Driving from RI to NJ for 9pm flight.
We'll arrive at POR sometime after midnight...should be nice and quiet!

Thank you to everyone here, especially Andre and Venom, for all the help and good vibes!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #2388
visitingapril09
DIS Veteran

Anyone know if Gift cards can be loaded on your KTTK card?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #2389
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingapril09 View Post
I assume your mean Key to the World card? If so, then yes you can.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #2390
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Have friends that are checking in right now..so jealous!

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13 ASSp 2015

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR Incomplete
Old 04-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #2391
zabache
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingapril09 View Post
Can you explain why people use gift cards? I've seen people mentioning them but I don't know the actual details?
August, 2013-POR, 1st Trip with DS! Pics of or trip.
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/zabache/story/99425

April 19-26, 2014 POR in a Royal Room!Pics of Trip.
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/zabache/story/99421#
December 17-19 ASSp-December 19-24th AKL Kidani
Old 04-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #2392
nonstopdisneymom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabache View Post

Can you explain why people use gift cards? I've seen people mentioning them but I don't know the actual details?
1. They can be purchased at 5% off at target
2. It's a way to budget for the trip little by little.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #2393
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
It is a great way to budget for your trip; if you are on a very tight budget.

Many people comment they purchase a gift card for X amount of dollars every week, say at the grocery store. A friend of mine says she takes whatever savings she has from coupons every week and then purchases a gift card for that amount.

You can also get discounts at some locations for purchasing gift cards.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #2394
Princess Vespa
Mouseketeer

We will be there at the end of May, staying at POR in the preferred rooms. Is there any difference between the preferred rooms buildings? I haven't stayed there in close to 20 years (Dixie Landings maybe?) and am excited to be staying there again. Usually I am too cheap and stay at the values but this will be my 40th birthday weekend and I am splurging! I know the preferred rooms are closer to transportation and main building, but is there any difference between the buildings? Any specific # any better than the other? Any other useful advise/tips from those who are POR regulars?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #2395
KittyKat1978
DIS Veteran

I use gift cards because I don't want to deal with change when I am buying food. I feel rushed at the till and don't use change, then end up with a heavy purse by the end of the trip.

And since I am from Canada, buying US cash is cheaper than using my credit card and getting a 2.5% fee charged on top of whatever the exchange rate is.

I load the gift card with $100 to start out with (it's just for me as I travel mostly solo), watch the balance (which is printed on the bottom of the reciept) and reload when necessary. You can reload at any gift shop at the parks or at the resorts. Not sure if you can reload it at Guest Services or not? Never tried.

DL - Hojo's Mar 86/ PPH Feb 12/ Hojo's May 12/ BWPPI Oct 12/ DLH Dec 12/ DLH Feb 13/ FFI Oct 14/ CI Dec 14

DCL - Sept 13 Wonder to Alaska

Old 04-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #2396
ALD85
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I know at target with the Red card you can get 5% off, also I think Sams Club sells them for a few dollars cheaper than what's loaded on the card.

For me, our grocery store does "fuel perks" and every $50 spent on gift cards you get .10-.20 cents off per gallon of gas. I paid for my trip with gift cards I bought from there giving me nearly $11 off per gallon oh gas, which is nearly $300 in savings. I plan to buy gift cards to use to pay off my room balance as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #2397
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Vespa View Post
We will be there at the end of May, staying at POR in the preferred rooms. Is there any difference between the preferred rooms buildings? I haven't stayed there in close to 20 years (Dixie Landings maybe?) and am excited to be staying there again. Usually I am too cheap and stay at the values but this will be my 40th birthday weekend and I am splurging! I know the preferred rooms are closer to transportation and main building, but is there any difference between the buildings? Any specific # any better than the other? Any other useful advise/tips from those who are POR regulars?

Thanks!
Go to Portorleans.org and look at the layout there. Bldg 15 is right on the parking lots where 14, 18, and 27 are closer to the river.

The site also has tons of useful information about POR.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #2398
donnot
Earning My Ears

Experience with Murphy Bed?

Hi All - hope you don't mind that I am posting this question rather than reading through 160 pages. My 4 kids and I are returning to stay at POR in two weeks (can't wait!). We stayed at POR about three years ago and my then 7 year old boy had no trouble fitting on the trundle bed. He's now 10, but since we spend very little time in the room and POR was cheaper than the family suites elsewhere, we booked POR again. I didn't know that the trundle bed was replaced by a murphy bed. In looking at the pics, it looks nicer, but is it smaller? Getting a little nervous we are going to end up with three squished in one queen bed instead. Thanks for any info or experience you can share.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #2399
scrappinggirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALD85 View Post
I know at target with the Red card you can get 5% off, also I think Sams Club sells them for a few dollars cheaper than what's loaded on the card.

For me, our grocery store does "fuel perks" and every $50 spent on gift cards you get .10-.20 cents off per gallon of gas. I paid for my trip with gift cards I bought from there giving me nearly $11 off per gallon oh gas, which is nearly $300 in savings. I plan to buy gift cards to use to pay off my room balance as well.
That's awesome great saving skills. Is it Stop and Shop that has the discount on gas? I have a diesel car so I can't take advantage of that

Me DH (Won't fly, not going) Kyle DS (12yrs old)
1989 ~Fort Wilderness
2006 ~ Comptemporary
2008 ~POFQ
2012~Disneyland (only 1 day)
2013 ~POR/Hardrock Universal
Old 04-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #2400
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinggirl View Post
That's awesome great saving skills. Is it Stop and Shop that has the discount on gas? I have a diesel car so I can't take advantage of that
I don't think S&S gives you points for gift card purchases. That may have changed, but I know when I bought GC's a few years ago, no points earned. I was bummed.

I think I've heard that Kroger (which of course, none near us) gives gas points for gift card purchases.

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: