Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Stitch's Greatest Fa
DIS Veteran

Dining plan for under threes

Hello,

before I start this post I would like to say we have used the DDP several times and I am aware of the amount of food that you get in a serving size, so I don't want to turn this into a debate about whether I should or should not get the DDP for my under three. All I would like to know is the answer to the following question.

Me, DH and DD (4), have the full service DDP this year, I know that we will need to order DS (16 months) his own meal...the boy can eat. Even though our DDP is free and he doesn't need a park ticket, can I phone Disney Reservations and pay for DDP for him as a three year old without needing a ticket for him or can I not do this because a.) he does not have a ticket...b.) our DDP is free and his would be paid.

Thanks
x

1995 1st time - Kissimee Villas 1997 Kissimmee Villas 2002 Kissimmee Villas 2004 - 1st time on site Polynesian Honeymoon 2005 Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Pop Century 2007 POFQ 2008 Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge 2009 Beach Club 2010 AKL/CR/SSR2011 Hilton Parc Soleil2013 Wilderness Lodge 2014 Hilton Parc Soleil
Stitch's Greatest Fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
rebelzrule
Earning My Ears

We were in this same situation a few years ago. If memory serves me, I called to see if they qualified for a free dining plan too, which as you say, they do not. I do not know if you can pay for one for him, but I can tell you that at every single TS meal that we had, they brought out a free meal for my 3 year old. It was only an issue at QS meals, but those weren't expensive enough to justify a dining plan.
rebelzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Stitch's Greatest Fa
DIS Veteran

Thanks rebelz, but when DD was 9 months, we had to pay for any of her meals.

1995 1st time - Kissimee Villas 1997 Kissimmee Villas 2002 Kissimmee Villas 2004 - 1st time on site Polynesian Honeymoon 2005 Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Pop Century 2007 POFQ 2008 Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge 2009 Beach Club 2010 AKL/CR/SSR2011 Hilton Parc Soleil2013 Wilderness Lodge 2014 Hilton Parc Soleil
Old 04-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Magic Megadegs
Mouseketeer

It says on the Dining plan info that the dining plan is unavailable for the under 3's but that they can share from an adult plate for free or desperate meals can be bought. If you are planning on buffet type ts meals then eating from your plate for free might work well.

Would be worth phoning to ask them though as if you end up paying OP for a snack, a counter service meal etc it could add up to more than the cost of the ddp.

Good luck.

Dec / Jan 1990/1991 Villa Xmas, August 1993 I Drive, November 2001 I Drive, August 2003 I Drive Honeymoon , Dec / Jan 2010/2011 Reunion Resort Xmas, August 2013 Caribe Royale & Old Key West Resort , February 2014 Holiday Inn Resort LBV
Magic Megadegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

You can either change his age to 3 and buy him a ticket to get the DDP or just buy his meals as you go.

He will eat free at all fixed price meals anyway.

When DD was under 3 we found it just easier to buy what we needed.

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

You will not be able to get the Dining Plan for your little one without buying a ticket for him as well. Since the Dining Plan is part of a package, you would need to have the full package (and pay the full package price) for every member of your party. I cannot see how buying him a ticket would be cheaper than just ordering him a meal at places where sharing with you would not be enough.

As Tracy states above, at buffets and such, where it is one price he will eat free and can have his own plate anyway so aim to do plenty of those places.

Aside from anything else, if you booked the free DDP through WDTC, particularly if your package included flights, you might find you cannot upgrade anyway, as another DISer had a similar problem a few weeks ago.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #7
orangetiggs
Married my sweetheart in DISNEY!!!!!

My girls were under three last year and i wished we had paid for at least one of them for a ticket amd free dining as they can eat too and in the end we didnt but it would have been worth it as my girls ate alot of food

This year they will be nearly four so have the ddp and im glad as we found the money soon added up for their food

If you dont just make sure you book alot of buffet meals as they eat free
Old 04-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #8
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

My understanding of the DP is that it is not available for Under 3's. Free dining is linked to the purchase of hotel & ticket, so I am confident that you would not be able to get the DP for your little one for free. Whether you could pay for the DP for him, is another question. My suggestion would be to call WDTC and ask. I don't think it would be possible but that's not to say that I'm correct! If you can pay for the DP for your child, I'm not sure it would be the most cost effective way anyway, but that is a matter of personal choice for you because while it may not be the cheapest way to go, it may well be that convenience is more important to you than cost.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #9
orangetiggs
Married my sweetheart in DISNEY!!!!!

You can upgrade an under 3 and oay for thier ticket to get thw dining plan. If you have booked with a package it mit work out alot more expensive as you might get charged for more for hotel but if direct with disney its just a room price so not per adult or child etc

Worth giving whoever you booked with a call but as free dining is no longer offered for this year it might just be a better option to oay for the meals as i doubt they wll let you add it on
Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 AM   #10
Magic Megadegs
Mouseketeer

Whilst it is in black and white, I'm quite surprised Disney won't allow parents of under threes to buy the DDP. Love them as I do, it's not like Disney to be shy of taking pennies from people!

I wonder if it is because if they permitted parents to purchase the DDP for under threes they would face pressure to put a broader choice (more suited to under threes) on the childrens menus.

Either way, it's a lost revenue opportunity for them. Good luck OP. Hope it all works out well x

Dec / Jan 1990/1991 Villa Xmas, August 1993 I Drive, November 2001 I Drive, August 2003 I Drive Honeymoon , Dec / Jan 2010/2011 Reunion Resort Xmas, August 2013 Caribe Royale & Old Key West Resort , February 2014 Holiday Inn Resort LBV
Old 04-11-2013, 04:42 AM   #11
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Megadegs View Post
Whilst it is in black and white, I'm quite surprised Disney won't allow parents of under threes to buy the DDP. Love them as I do, it's not like Disney to be shy of taking pennies from people!

I wonder if it is because if they permitted parents to purchase the DDP for under threes they would face pressure to put a broader choice (more suited to under threes) on the childrens menus.

Either way, it's a lost revenue opportunity for them. Good luck OP. Hope it all works out well x
It is because, as I pointed out above, the Dining Plan is only available as part of a package (unless you are staying at a DVC property on points). If you have a child under 3, they do not need a ticket to enter the park and, therefore, they are not charged for in the package price. As others have pointed out, you CAN buy the DDP for a 3-year old but, in order to do it, you have to include them in the package and therefore buy a ticket for them as well.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
Magic Megadegs
Mouseketeer

I wasn't being funny. I understand fully how Disney sell the plan as part of a package. It just strikes me as odd that when a family book with them, spending a substantial amount of money for accommodation and tickets and receive free Disney dining, surely when someone like the OP is volunteering to pay (extra revenue) for the DDP for an under three, Disney should allow it.

I understand completely them not giving ddp away when no ticket has been bought for that child. I'm not familiar with Disney turning away people asking to spend cash with them that's all.

Good luck OP, hope you get something sorted xxx

Old 04-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Megadegs View Post
I wasn't being funny. I understand fully how Disney sell the plan as part of a package. It just strikes me as odd that when a family book with them, spending a substantial amount of money for accommodation and tickets and receive free Disney dining, surely when someone like the OP is volunteering to pay (extra revenue) for the DDP for an under three, Disney should allow it.

I understand completely them not giving ddp away when no ticket has been bought for that child. I'm not familiar with Disney turning away people asking to spend cash with them that's all.

Good luck OP, hope you get something sorted xxx
I agree with you,
I would have thought that Disney would have allowed children under three to add the DDP without the ticket as many kids still eat properly at that age, the reason they don't charge for the ticket is there Janet much for a 2 yr old to do but food wise that's a whole different kettle of fish!

It's a shame and no one in there right mind is going to pay out for a ticket just to get the plan as paying OOP for meals wouldn't even come close to the ticket price.

Oh well at least they can eat at every buffet and fixed price family style meal for free

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #14
Stitch's Greatest Fa
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess we will pay as we go, and whilst we love buffets..and yes, I already knew he could eat free at those, I really don't want to do buffets all the time, plus he will also require counter service meals and snacks so we will just order what he wants to eat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: